Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where can we 'nip' to for a short non-UK break?

(19 Posts)
Mij Wed 15-Feb-17 12:16:23

I'll fess up - I'm being a bit flouncy about the fact that DD1's first foreign trip is going to be with school (well, actually we took her on a work trip abroad when she was 8mths & 15mths but she doesn't remember of course) and so I'm now wondering how we can get in there first.

Like, a long weekend or mid-week Easter nip to somewhere easy and fun. And cheap. Don't want much do I!

We're based in the south of the north, iyswim, but have family on the south coast so could in theory stop over before doing a channel hop.

Or we could get a train through London.

Or get a ferry from the east coast or summat.

Or could fly. But Easter's tricky for that price wise obvs.

Have two DDs, 7 & 10. They like a bit of history and adventure. We're veggie. DP travels episodically for work (not glamorous or fancy but he has had a lot of practice) but I haven't been anywhere outside UK for 9 years so feeling a bit out of practice.

We're a bit skint and I'm massively stressy but I book a lot of travel for work too so I'm not an actual idiot when it comes to this stuff. But work is v different to booking for fun.

ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS MUCH APPRECIATED :-)

mumblechum0 Wed 15-Feb-17 12:18:36

I'd just keep it simple and easy; Paris, inc a day at disneyland. I did that with ds a good few years ago and I was on a v tight budget but we had a great time.

Mij Wed 15-Feb-17 12:19:57

Hello!

Thanks.

Should have said, DDs school trip is to Paris. Sorry blush.

mummymeister Wed 15-Feb-17 14:22:21

Dublin, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Rome. just set your budget and look for cheap flights on Momondo and skyscanner and cheap places to stay on airbandb and you should be able to find something.

cheap - means under £100 for some and under £1000 for others so you might get more responses if you say what your budget for flights and accommodation is. then better suggestions can be made.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Wed 15-Feb-17 14:24:04

Dublin. Lisbon.

ThisNight Wed 15-Feb-17 14:26:26

You can get the ferry to Holland from Harwich, loads to do there.

BadToTheBone Wed 15-Feb-17 14:40:37

You can do ferry to Amsterdam from Tynemouth, sleep in your own cabin on ferry on way there, day in Amsterdam, sleep in your own cabin on ferry again on way home. Quick and easy and dirt cheap.

dinkystinky Wed 15-Feb-17 14:56:40

Spain and Portugal are pretty cheap when you get there - as others have suggested do a search with your budget on skyscanner or google travel and will come up with suggestions. Barcelona, Valencia, Lisbon, etc all good fun.

beatricequimby Wed 15-Feb-17 20:16:21

You can often get cheap flights to Alicante and the city is great for a few days. Twenty mins on a local bus from the airport to the city centre. Interesting old district to wonder round and fab craggy hill with a castle on it. We spent a couple of days exploring and admiring the views. Last Easter there were cheap deals for nice hotels on Booking.

Mij Wed 15-Feb-17 21:38:30

Thank you everyone. I'd been looking at Lisbon but flights are over £500 for 4 of us though some Airbnbs are reasonable. We know it quite well too. But was I was wondering about a sleep over ferry, takes some of the drag out of travel. Amsterdam appeals as I've never been, and it feels close. Assumed Spain would be too pricey in Easter hols.

Budget is about £400 (travel & accom, not spending money there).

FacelikeaBagofHammers Thu 16-Feb-17 07:59:11

Valencia?

Caprianna Thu 16-Feb-17 08:04:15

I am not sure you can find anywhere for that budget unless you camp? Personally we love Venice at this time of year.

Caprianna Thu 16-Feb-17 08:05:56

I am not sure you can find anywhere for that budget unless you camp? Personally we love Venice at this time of year.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 16-Feb-17 09:32:46

Fly to Billund in Denmark from Stanstead with Ryanair (depends on where 'the south of the north' is). A couple of miles away from the airport there is Legoland and an indoor waterpark/entertainment complex.

Flights go out early Saturday morning and come back late Sunday night so it will be two fun but tiring days, but they'll sleep on the plane on the way back.

holidaysaregreat Thu 16-Feb-17 09:35:48

Berlin

Inneedofaholiday2017 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:25:42

Dublin or
Austria do kinderhotels which are amazing for kids and have lots of leisure activities

Inneedofaholiday2017 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:26:39

www.kinderhotels.com/en/home.html

Inneedofaholiday2017 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:33:01

Or a Euro camp?

Inneedofaholiday2017 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:34:15

On your budget I'd say just nip to northern France - get ferry over poss a euro camp or similar accommodation once there. Loads to see and do and feels foreign enough for a first trip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now