Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New York NewYork!! An idiots guide please!!

(17 Posts)
MissHooliesclassmonitor Tue 14-Feb-17 16:17:40

Am off to New York in the summer and I have been researching it obvs but if anyone has a good knowledge of it I would really appreciate some answers!
What are the safest and best placed places to stay that mean getting to Central Park, Empire State, 5th Ave etc are easy?
Which places should I avoid staying at?
Are there good beaches and which should I aim for?
Is the water warm...... smile
I am looking into Airbnb, has anyone got any recommendations?
JFK or Newark?

What are your top tips to do!
Thank you x

peppatax Tue 14-Feb-17 16:22:43

Midtown Manhattan is a good place to stay but can be pricey. Don't stay in Brooklyn or Queens unless you want to travel into the city every day.

The only beaches are on Long Island that I know of that would be 1hr plus on the train. I'd write that off and enjoy a city break.

Flying wise, JFK is probably slightly easier to be honest - you can get the NYC Airporter to Grand Central for $18 each if you're on a budget, a taxi is $59 plus tip.

Bear in mind that if the exchange rate doesn't improve, you're looking at equivalent of £5-6 for a pint so budget accordingly, it won't be a cheap trip....

2014newme Tue 14-Feb-17 16:23:48

Manhattan

MissHooliesclassmonitor Tue 14-Feb-17 16:34:42

Thank you peppertax, that is really helpful xx

Seems you both agree with Manhattan that's good smile

stuckinny Tue 14-Feb-17 16:55:22

If you're coming in the summer the weather will be hot and sticky, very sticky. Thankfully there is air conditioning everywhere (if you're air bnb-ing it make sure there is aircon).

It's worth getting some tickets in advance if you're doing touristy stuff.

WatchingFromTheWings Tue 14-Feb-17 17:17:06

I'm going to NY too, in August. Do you need a visa?? Never travelled outside of Europe before so no idea!

Normandy144 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:22:18

Yes you will need a visa. It's called an Esta. Here's the link to the department of homeland security. https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ be careful to avoid other websites claiming to do Estas as they will charge more. It's really simple to do online.

Other than that, my last trip to NYC was over ten years ago so my advice is out of date. However you should go to Grimaldis for pizza at the foot of the Brooklyn bridge on the Brooklyn side. You're welcome.

greatpumpkin Tue 14-Feb-17 17:31:27

If you're interested in a day at the beach, the Long Island Railroad do packages in the summer. here but you need to check again later in the year for proper info ink{http://web.mta.info/lirr/getaways/beach/index.htm\web.mta.info/lirr/getaways/beach/index.ht]]m} You can go to Fire Island which is a bit more interesting than a beach trip but it will be a lot of travelling and take a whole day. I did it once with my kids and it was one of the best days out we've had. But I think most people would choose to maximize their time in the city.

greatpumpkin Tue 14-Feb-17 17:32:18

Sorry bad link web.mta.info/lirr/getaways/beach/index.htm

greatpumpkin Tue 14-Feb-17 17:35:17

The water is not warm but it should be manageable in August 😁

BusterTheBulldog Tue 14-Feb-17 17:35:36

I think they are clamping down on air B&b there so prob wouldn't risk that. We stayed in soho, I hated the madness of time square and preferred being in a bit of a more chilled area but still with plenty on our doorstep.

We used subway / uber / cabs to get around and obviously walking- make sure you have super comfy shoes, I had really sensible ones that have never hurt me after a days wear, but OMG I am not over that pain. Stuck with trainers post day 1! Worth installing uber app in advance if you don't already use.

MissHooliesclassmonitor Tue 14-Feb-17 21:22:36

Wow lots of great advice thank you all! Will check that link too x

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 15-Feb-17 08:13:18

Would find a hotel to stay in Midtown Manhattan. Do not use Airbnb; NYC has city laws that state that lets of under 30 days in the five boroughs are illegal. Also such sites do not ever check the veracity of such listings.

Jermajesty Wed 15-Feb-17 08:21:14

When I was last in NY a few years ago we stayed at Hotel Chandler. Great central location, excellent deli right over the road to get breakfast/ snacks, minutes from the subway. I'd thoroughly recommend it.

www.hotelchandler.com/?utm_source=googleplus&utm_medium=accountbio

Bombaybunty Wed 15-Feb-17 08:36:59

If you're planning to do the Statue of Liberty, book your tickets as soon as you can. They only allow a limited number to the top every day and the tickets sell out quickly. Go to Ellis Island, really interesting.
Buy fast pass tickets for the Empire State Building, worth the extra to jump the queues.
Take comfortable shoes - you will walk miles!

Rainshowers Wed 15-Feb-17 16:43:43

We actually flew in and out of Newark last time we went (having previously used JFK) -and got the train into Manhatten-it was surprisingly easy.

We did the 9/11 memorial museum first thing which meant it was nice and quiet and we didn't feel rushed. By the time we came out there were big queues to get in (there's airport style security so it can take a while to get in). It's done so well, I'd definitely say it's worth a visit.

We walked so far...definitely wear comfy shoes!!

MissHooliesclassmonitor Wed 15-Feb-17 18:35:26

Thank you all - am definitely going to get comfy shoes!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now