Talk

Advanced search

Lonely planet / rough guide for families

(7 Posts)
Pitapotamus Fri 10-Feb-17 15:12:26

Does such a thing exist? I haven't done any foreign holidays since I had my kids now 5, 3 and pregnant with the third. We're thinking of taking the kids abroad at Easter but really not sure where to go. We want somewhere not to pricey, safe, hot, not too crowded!

In the past i would've used the rough guides / lonely planet books to make a decision but these are obviously aimed at people travelling without young kids in tow! Are there any family type equivalents?

2014newme Fri 10-Feb-17 17:55:29

I read lots of travel blogs there are tonnes about travelling with kids.
I find rough guide and lonely planet helpful I get them from library.
You can also filter on TripAdvisor for family activities and accommodation.
Dorling kindersley do great guide books
For heat at easter you could try Cyprus, Cape Verde Islands, canaries will be getting warmer. We are going to Portugal at easter bur it's a city rather than a beach break.
I still think travel agents are helpful even if they are seen as old fashioned now.
Have a great time.

Teds77 Fri 10-Feb-17 21:43:00

The city Lonely Planets or the city sections of LP that cover wider areas are pretty good at suggesting activities for kids and identifying playgrounds.

Also agree that there is loads of info on web - blogs, travel sections of the press, tripadvisor etc. that help identify good activities.

specialsubject Sat 11-Feb-17 16:51:54

Rough guide works whatever - I always find lonely planet too much on trendy bars and not being a tourist, but rough guide gives real info and background.

Buzzardbird Sat 11-Feb-17 16:55:14

I always ask the question on google and it will lead me to relevant pages on Tripadvisor.

Suttonmum1 Sun 12-Feb-17 16:41:23

Hi there. Can I recommend the Frommer 'with the family' series. I have planned holidays using Northern Italy one and the Croatia one. I too would normally use Rough Guide or LP.

mmgirish Mon 13-Feb-17 13:14:59

Still use lonely planet guides. I also use tripadvisor - particularly the forums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now