Talk

Advanced search

Any tips on getting last-minute summer holiday cancellations?

(8 Posts)
TisapityshesaGeordie Thu 09-Feb-17 14:10:30

Just wondering if anyone's managed this and how? We haven't booked to go this year as it's our first being "tied" to the school holidays and it's so blooming expensive. But assuming last-minute cancellations must come occasionally, how do we go about nabbing one?

Am assuming we need to be ready to travel and not too fussy about where we go, but are there any websites or agents worth keeping an eye on?

bakingaddict Thu 09-Feb-17 14:24:49

Where is it your planning on going? Lots of the good places in the likes of Spain and Portugal will already be booked up in advance. Rather than waiting for a last minute deal why not look at booking flights and accommodation seperately. You can always arrange your own transfer to resort. I always do it this way and I've saved £100's. I look what's on the likes of Thomson and Thomas Cook sites as it gives an indication of hotel quality. I've got flights home from Croatia for 50 euro each this summer and 5 star accommodation for 4 for just under 2 grand for the week booked on an early booking deal direct with the hotel

TisapityshesaGeordie Thu 09-Feb-17 14:54:52

We don't mind where we go, and in fact don't mind whether we go or not - that's why we haven't booked anything. Just thought if there were any last-minute bargains it might be worth grabbing one.

mummymeister Thu 09-Feb-17 18:37:44

last minute bargains in school holidays don't really exist. all the bargains - free kids places etc are front loaded so that those that book first get the cheapest deals.

you will also find that the cheap deals this summer are the places the people don't feel safe going to so you have to decide if you do.

sorry don't mean to be negative but that's how the holiday market in school summer holidays works.

I would start pulling together the holiday that you want like bakingaddict did by booking everything yourselves.

my travel agent friend always reminds me " the last minute holidays are the ones that no one else wants and you have to ask yourself why"

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 09-Feb-17 18:41:52

I don't think last minute holidays are a thing inside the school holidays sad I've had a few, but never within the holidays. Its really peak time then so no need to reduce.

TisapityshesaGeordie Thu 09-Feb-17 18:50:39

Nah, we'll not bother then; start saving for next year instead!

flatfootedfrump Thu 09-Feb-17 23:18:04

I found loads last year but they were all flying out of Aberdeen ( Thompson) which would have cost £200 in petrol at least there and back.
I was only looking at Turkey ( safer areas) and it was less than £150 for a week inclusive at the end of August.

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Sat 11-Feb-17 13:13:51

If you aren't too bothered where you end up, the short haul section on holiday discount centre gets cheaper the closer to the date you go (£150-250 pp 2 weeks self catering including flights, £200- 300 pp all inclusive)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now