Talk

Advanced search

Might have to cancel holiday for medical reasons - gutted

(7 Posts)
rookiemere Wed 08-Feb-17 14:48:54

We are meant to be going skiing next Saturday. Flights booked a year ago as was accomodation. Paid for ski lessons and car hire but I think the car hire is cancellable.

Only problem is I am lying in bed in agony with pelvic pain. Have endometriosis but on long term pill with no breakthrough bleeding so they think it's perhaps a ruptured cyst or bowel related. Hoping to have a scan within the next week.

What do insurance companies normally need for cancellations? Are we likely to get the cost of the ski lessons refunded? I would ring them but I can't bring myself to do that just yet. Also there is a chance that the pain will pass but at the minute I can barely stand so I can't see me skiing anytime soon.

Anyone with any experience of cancelling a holiday?

PotOfYoghurt Wed 08-Feb-17 14:57:13

No experience with cancelling a holiday, but I do have experience with ruptured ovarian cysts! If it is that, while the pain is horrific I've found if it has burst it does tend to clear up after several days, so you might indeed feel ok by the time you leave.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who can advise on the holiday. Hope you feel better soon.

Rosa Wed 08-Feb-17 14:58:37

For Insurance a doctors letter stating that you are not fit for travel should be suficient. Sorry what a bummer

welshweasel Wed 08-Feb-17 15:00:40

To cancel you'd need to ring the insurance company and they have a specific form you'd need to get the Doctor that is treating you to fill out (there may be a small charge for this). When I cancelled a ski holiday due to injury (from the first ski holiday of the season, teach me to be greedy!) they paid up for ski lessons and hire too.

However, do your insurance company know about the endo? If so you'll be fine. If not, you're unlikely to be covered.

rookiemere Wed 08-Feb-17 15:12:16

Thanks folks.

Its cover through our bank account and I can't remember them asking any medical questions when we took it out. I haven't suffered any physical symptoms for 6 years so 8 don't know if that would help. Also it might not be Endo related.

pot that's good to know that the symptoms may ease I am just hoping its that rather than anything else more sinister.

In truth the holiday was relatively inexpensive. I was so proud of myself for getting such a bargain on the flights and apartment. Guess I'll just wait for a few more days and hope for the best.

specialsubject Wed 08-Feb-17 17:28:04

so sorry - we all look forward to our holidays and when this happens it is indeed really disappointing.

call the insurers ASAP as they will want you to minimise losses, which means deciding to cancel quickly. It is Wednesday and if this trip is to leave in three days, sadly I think you need to accept it is not happening.

rookiemere Wed 08-Feb-17 17:32:29

Thanks ss.
It's not until next Saturday thankfully so there is a chance I might recover.Ive already had to cancel a very important work exam I was due to do on Friday- just don't want to let myself down if not feeling right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now