Talk

Advanced search

Christmas in New York

(8 Posts)
Char22thom Tue 07-Feb-17 20:40:11

DH and I are planning a trip to New York and have always wanted to go over Christmas time. There seems to be some good deals flying out Xmas eve (staying 4 nights), but we are worried that nothing will be open or we won't get the full NYC experiences at that time of year. Has anyone else been over Xmas before and able to share experiences? Also any NYC tips or advice gratefully received from those who have been at any time of year! x

RusholmeRuffian Wed 08-Feb-17 20:58:47

I haven't spent Christmas in NYC before but I have spent it in many other US Cities. Obviously most things are closed on Christmas Day but you will find plenty of bars and places to eat will be open. The subway will be running so you will be able to get around. It'll be a good day to walk around the city without the crowds.
Boxing Day is a normal day, not a public holiday so everything's back to normal very quickly.

Char22thom Wed 08-Feb-17 21:52:23

Thank you for that! As we thought, happy to have a quite ish Xmas day but was worried about going hungry! x

ChuckSnowballs Wed 08-Feb-17 22:00:45

You will never go hungry in NYC.

The thing though is it is likely to be cold. Very very cold. So cold you can't feel your ears cold. Just warning you. The cold is made colder by the wind chill factor. -32 when I was last there in December. So as long as you are prepared for cold with knobs on, it really is a fantastic experience.

JobsAGoodun Wed 08-Feb-17 22:11:37

It'll be magical, loads of stuff to do and places will be open don't worry. But yes it could be very cold so be prepared

Longdistance Wed 08-Feb-17 22:19:59

We spent Xmas and NY in NYC in 2007. Crap, writing that I realise that was about 10 years ago shock

Anyway, I remember restaurants etc being open. I think Thanks Giving is bigger isn't it?

Yy, to it being bloody cold. I was wearing thermals and boots and ear muffs to keep warm.

With NYC, it's so buzzing that every corner you turn, there's something happening.

I was there in February last year, and a previous time was Easter. Definitely going back again could quite happily live there

123rd Wed 08-Feb-17 22:52:51

Xmas day in nyc would be fine. So many different cultures there that it doesn't shut down like Uk
As PP thanksgiving is bigger

WritingHome Mon 13-Feb-17 14:48:38

Yes, we spent 5 days in NYC including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day one year and it was FAB! Try Norma's for a real NY experience breakfast - there were NY'ers queueing around the block on Christmas Day when we were there!

We walked around exploring, people were jolly and friendly. We got a but tiddly in a bar and then went back to our hotel and ate room service incredible burgers in bed! Memorable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now