Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Camping in a tent in Italy - too hot?

(6 Posts)
lews Tue 07-Feb-17 12:24:49

We are on a bit of a budget this year but have managed to find a really good deal on flights to Milan Bergamo. Our normal holidays are Eurocamp type ones to France but to keep the cost down we were thinking of switching to a pre-erected tent. The flights I've found are the same as the ferry cost for 5 of us (we live in the South West) so we are thinking of going to Lake Garda.

So my questions are, is it too hot to be camping without air conditioning, and are mosquitos going to be much worst under canvas (I am a mosquito magnet!!).

Any advice welcome!!

gabsdot Wed 08-Feb-17 17:40:42

We stayed in a tent in C'savio on the Adriatic. It as July and very hot but it was ok and I don't remember any bugs at all.

Iamastonished Wed 08-Feb-17 22:05:55

"is it too hot to be camping without air conditioning, and are mosquitos going to be much worst under canvas"

The answer to both of those questions is a resounding yes. OH is a mosquito magnet and got bitten on the first evening of our holiday because he had forgotten to put insect repellent on one square inch of his ankle.

We went in August both times and it was just too hot and stuffy in the evenings to try and sleep without aircon. There is absolutely no way that OH would consider camping anywhere where there are mosquitoes or midges, or anything flying biting insect.

gabsdot We found that there were far more mosquitoes at Lake Garda than by the Adriatic.

lews Fri 10-Feb-17 14:09:48

Thanks for that. Think we may stick to France after all!

namechangedtoday15 Mon 13-Feb-17 10:52:48

We did exactly that last year (flights to Milan Bergamo) and then stayed at Lake Garda (and then travelled). Have a look as the ukcamping website and see recommendations for campsites, and then look on the campsites' websites directly. I can bet there won't be much difference between the cost of a pre-erected tent via a company like Eurocamp, and a (small) "chalet" / mobile home via the campsite directly. I think you'd have a much more enjoyable holiday if you didn't have to camp.

We were there in August last year and it was hot. It was lovely to have the sanctuary of the air conditioned caravan - I think in a tent where there is no cool air, there would just be no respite from the heat. The mosquitos weren't a massive issue but noticeable and we did all wear repellent (I did get bitten and it turned quite nasty - had to see onsite doctor but I think thats because I sometimes have an allergic reaction).

Branleuse Mon 13-Feb-17 10:59:43

it will probably be fine if you go in may instead of augst

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now