Talk

Advanced search

Malta

(6 Posts)
forfucksakenet Mon 06-Feb-17 21:39:23

Thinking of heading to Malta 🇲🇹 any advice or recommendation? Thinking April

BarbaraofSeville Thu 09-Feb-17 11:02:52

Don't hire a car unless you are a very confident driver. The standard of driving is a little unconventional to the average Brit. Buses are cheap and can get you around easily, if a little slowly.

Valetta is interesting and worth a couple of days at least. Gozo is lovely and the ferry over as a foot passenger is very cheap - about 5 euro return. If you like walking, April would be a good time to walk some of the Gozo coastal path. Xlendi, Marsalforn, Ramla Bay if good weather, Victoria and the Blue Hole/Inland sea are worth a visit. Amazing pizzas and pasta in Gozo, as well as Maltese food.

In fact, if going for a week, I would spend 2/3 days on Malta and the rest in Gozo. With a trip to Comino, which you can do from either island.

Florene Sat 11-Feb-17 16:06:38

Bumping hoping more advice will be along shortly, as going there myself soon...

midsomermurderess Wed 15-Feb-17 19:09:56

I don't know Malta apart from having spent a short time in Valetta which is lovely. I have been to Gozo a few times though and love it. It's tiny, a bit ramshackle and the roads are terrible but there are some nice (very small)beaches like San Blas, good walking, decent seafood , a bit of archaeology. I've always gone out of season, early October, when the weather is a bit unsettled but it's nice and quiet. I don't thin it's ever raucous, having said that. You can rent rather lovely old farmhouses, thick stone walls, roof terraces.

CleanHankie Wed 22-Feb-17 22:34:09

Along with Valletta I'd recommend visiting Mdina. Simply stunning. The whole island is lovely and we've found having a car handy as we could explore more, including roads that lead out to headlands that end in a small shrine and beautiful views. Malta has a ridiculous amount of churches and some are worth visiting, including Mellieha and Mosta.
The Playmobil factory tour is also worth it!

MimiSunshine Sat 04-Mar-17 19:45:09

Malta is really beautiful, I second not bothering with a car, very narrow windy roads and the buses are easy to use.

It's very Italian in style and Valleta is a cross between Rome and Dubrovnik IMO which is no bad thing.
I didn't rate Mellieha as a place to stay, but only really because of the huge all inclusive hotel made the town a bit lacking but it's beautiful and worth a visit for a walk around the church.

There's a saints festival on somewhere on the island pretty much every week and I strongly recommend going to one. They're at night and It's become quite a competitive event between towns, the street decorations are fantastic, there's lots of good stalls and they have fireworks and music. The one we went to turned into an outdoor rave for want of a better description but the whole town is out and having fun.

Gozo was lovely and I wished we either stayed there for a few days or definitely visited more often but it's very sleepy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now