Talk

Advanced search

Where for my 40th in October half term?!

(17 Posts)
Badgoushk Sun 05-Feb-17 12:53:21

Hello, I'd like to book a week away for October half term but don't know where to go! It will be my 40th birthday during the week and we are a family of 4: me, DH, DD aged 4, DD aged 2.

We don't normally fly for environmental reasons but we might make an exception. I'd like to go somewhere nice and warm 20-25 degrees. Not too far away. I don't want to mess up the girls' sleeping patterns.

We normally holiday in self catering cottages in the UK.

My ideal holiday would involve going in a pool every day, some sunbathing, dressing up for dinner in the evening, lots of laughter. I'm happy for it to be very kid orientated as it will ultimately be more relaxing that way.

Please can you suggest destinations? Would Sicily work? Or Crete?

Thanks.

Badgoushk Sun 05-Feb-17 13:25:19

Canaries?

BarbaraofSeville Sun 05-Feb-17 13:35:23

Lanzarote is mostly lovely (Playa Blanca nicest resort) and you should still have nice weather at that time of year. Same time zone so no worries there.

SpongebobRoundPants Sun 05-Feb-17 13:47:37

Budapest or Tenerife?

BendyBusBuggy Sun 05-Feb-17 17:13:50

Have a look at the sherston in fuerteventura. Ryanair fly there

BendyBusBuggy Sun 05-Feb-17 17:14:05

Sharaton

BendyBusBuggy Sun 05-Feb-17 17:14:22

Good grief: Sheraton

Welshgirl40 Sun 05-Feb-17 17:21:24

Another for Sheraton Salobre. Brilliant place.

Badgoushk Sun 05-Feb-17 22:06:47

Thanks everyone. Will check it out!

LizzieMacQueen Sun 05-Feb-17 22:08:23

Dressing up at night?

Have you considered a cruise?

Badgoushk Mon 06-Feb-17 16:15:38

Ha LizzieMacQueen, I don't mean dressing up in any kind of extreme way. I mean more like brushing the sand out of my hair and all going out for a child friendly dinner.

My MIL does cruises... Not really my cup of tea! brew

minipie Mon 06-Feb-17 16:59:47

If you're used to self catering then wonder if you might not like a hotel holiday where you have to have every meal in a restaurant?

If so.... you could consider somewhere like Aphrodite Hills in Cyprus which has s/c cottages but restaurants and pool on site.

Also consider Baobab Suites Tenerife - again self catering apartments but with restaurants on site. I've been so PM me if you want more info.

If you don't need the s/c facilities then I'd look at Crete or Cyprus - child friendly hotels include Sani, Anassa, Almrya, Ammos (has s/c), Daois Cove, Domes of Elounda.

Badgoushk Mon 06-Feb-17 21:57:26

Thank you minipie, I'll check those out! I'm very impressed with your knowledge. Are you in the travel industry?

minipie Tue 07-Feb-17 08:23:45

grin No I just dream about holidays... a lot!

minipie Tue 07-Feb-17 08:24:58

Oh and actually you can find most of these on websites like Tots Too, Tots to Travel or I escape with kids.

cheeseandpineapple Tue 07-Feb-17 08:37:52

I haven't been but have heard good things about Malta. Shorter flight time than Cyprus from the UK but you may have more reliable weather in Cyprus in October.

juneau Tue 07-Feb-17 10:12:03

If you want guaranteed nice, warm weather in Oct half-term then you need to head for Canaries, Cyprus, Malta, possibly Madeira. Most other places aren't reliably warm at that time - southern Spain can be nice, but could be too cold for lying by the pool.

I can recommend Aphrodite Hills (we're actually going back in Oct), or the Papagayo Resort in Playa Blanca. There are loads of great family places to go in the Canaries though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: