Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

cheap airlines and luggage

(12 Posts)
IamAporcupine Sat 04-Feb-17 22:26:03

Some airlines have a fix price and then you pay for the suitcase/s if you want, but other airlines have different prices, as in basic = no luggage, medium = + luggage, VIP = other extras.
What do you do if it is three of you but you only want to pay for 1 suitcase? Do you need to do separate bookings? Is there any way around it?
Thansk!

Darlink Sat 04-Feb-17 22:28:37

Most airlines you can input all three names and just add one suitcase

IamAporcupine Sat 04-Feb-17 22:41:47

I have just tried to do the booking.
You are right, I can in fact add just one suitcase later, but that ends up being more expensive!

BarbaraofSeville Sun 05-Feb-17 13:37:53

I normally just book the basic and add a suitcase to 1 person. The medium and VIP options usually include things I don't want to pay for like seat booking and flexibility, so are usually more expensive than just the basic plus one case, although that may vary by airline.

IamAporcupine Sun 05-Feb-17 14:19:28

Thing is, when I tried last night, adding a suitcase turned out to be even more expensive, so not sure what to do

Revealall Sun 05-Feb-17 14:57:27

More expensive than what?

IamAporcupine Sun 05-Feb-17 15:43:35

what I mean is something like this

basic tariff = 15
plus tariff = 20
adding a suitcase = +30

it's 3 of us, so:
a) 3x plus = 60
b) 3x basic + 1 suitcase = 3x 15 + 30 = 75

what I would like to do is:
2x basic + 1x plus = 2x 15 + 20 = 50

these are not the real numbers, the difference in price is ~£100

BarbaraofSeville Sun 05-Feb-17 17:35:02

What airline is it? Every time I've looked at this, it hasn't worked how you say.

Plus tariff includes a bag, seat and maybe fast track. You pay less than buying all these separately but still more than basic seat plus bag only.

IamAporcupine Sun 05-Feb-17 18:08:21

It's SAS. They actually have 4 different prices:
Go light (only hand luggage)
Go (20kg suitcase)
Plus (suitcase, fast track, meal)
Plus Flex (as above + exchangeable)

I know it's weird but it works out that 3x 'Go light' + luggage is more expensive than 3x 'Go'

Anyway, I guess I could try two different bookings

Revealall Sun 05-Feb-17 18:20:46

But that would make sense. Bit like a meal deal.

I don't get why you can't but one Go and the other Go lights though. Is it just the booking screen. Perhaps you could ring and book ( although some charge more to do this) You will have to do it two seperate bookings although you could be seated separately at check in. Perhaps check in everyone else and then pay for the seat booking for the other.

IamAporcupine Sun 05-Feb-17 18:41:12

Yes it is the booking screen - when you start your search you put dates and number of passengers, and then when you want to select the flights you cannot individually chose Go or Go light, they come up all the same

I will give them a call and see what happens. Thanks!

OublietteBravo Sun 05-Feb-17 18:44:48

I booked with them last year, and ended up with two separate bookings. This meant that DH was seated with the DC, and I was seated elsewhere when it came to the flight. I might have been secretly a little bit pleased by this arrangement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now