Talk

Advanced search

Holiday ideas for middle aged couple?

(47 Posts)
mumblechum0 Sat 04-Feb-17 00:28:42

We're at an impasse.

For years our main hol has been 3 weeks in very high end villas in the likes of Tuscany and California where we're miles away from anywhere and basically blob by the pool, potter to nearest towns for meals but otherwise do virtually nothing.

This was always because dh has a big job, travels constantly and just needed to switch off completely. Ds in his 29s so hasn't come with us for several years.

So, this year, dh is retiring at 54 so my thinking is that it's about time we did something a bit more adventurous but so far, we have no ideas.
Negatives are:-

Dh is black and we aren't going to be spending our tourist dollars in the US while Trump and his KKK cronies are in power.

I'm totally Italy'd out.

Neither crazy about beach hols (tho we love the Maldives for the snorkelling.

I suggested Croatia but he's put off by reports of rampant racism there.

We like Morocco but have done it 3 times in last 3 years. Twitchy about other Islamic countries and Dubai's our idea of hell.

We have come to a dead end.

What we like is:-

Luxury

Walking
Tennis
Cycling
Eating great food
Peace
Oldy worldy architecture
Beautiful scenery as in lakes, mountains

Money not an issue.

Any ideas very welcome, I can see us staying home at this rate

SealSong Sat 04-Feb-17 00:41:08

Go to the Caribbean - St Lucia or Grenada. Or Cuba if you're feeling more adventurous.

mumblechum0 Sat 04-Feb-17 00:51:47

Ooh I'd forgotten about Cuba. Will check it out, thanks!

OnyK Sat 04-Feb-17 17:46:27

How about Mexico?

IndigoSister Sat 04-Feb-17 17:54:13

Costa Rica?

AuntieStella Sat 04-Feb-17 17:57:39

Switzerland in the summer. Try a holiday with some of the time around Interlaken, then head up to either Murren or Wengen for beautiful hiking and mountain biking.

Google 'Jungfrau region' for more info if that sounds as if it might interest you.

tovelitime Sat 04-Feb-17 18:05:54

My mum and dad have done wonderful holidays which cover all you mention
Vietnam & Cambodia
Peru
China
Burma
Australia
Argentina & Galapagos

RozzlePops Sat 04-Feb-17 18:07:45

Iceland! Its amazing!

Or Canada.

NapQueen Sat 04-Feb-17 18:07:50

Would you consider a cruise? My parents (mid fifties) went on a cruise a couple of years back up the Norwegian Fjords and became total cruise converts.

NapQueen Sat 04-Feb-17 18:08:17

Malta?

MrsWobble3 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:08:22

We've just booked a holiday to Vancouver. That might suit you too.

Toomanycats99 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:12:59

What about Canada we do Toronto, rockies and Vancouver. Not fussed about Toronto but loved the rockies and Vancouver island.

Bluntness100 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:15:36

Barbados or Antigua.

MagicChicken Sat 04-Feb-17 18:16:12

Slovenia and Croatia would be lovely but pretty similar to Italy. Do you always go to Tuscany or have you tried the Lakes?

France? The Luberon area of Provence would be perfect.

New Zealand. South America, Peru, Argentina. Japan to see the cherry blossoms in spring or the autumn leaves in the countryside.

Iflyaway Sat 04-Feb-17 18:19:12

South Africa!

Just been solo travelling half the country. I love it.

Having a black ex and our son, now 25, I just LOVE the multicultural make-up of that country. And the nature is to die for!!

The people are SO laid-back and friendly.

And you'll find it ticks all your boxes mentioned.

And no, it's not dangerous. I stayed in a fabulous place in Soweto and even walked around by myself.
Did a round trip Jo'burg > Cape Town and Travelled all over by myself and didn't have a moment's problem.

Even met a few 19/early 20-year-old women tourists driving a car alone - wow!

eurochick Sat 04-Feb-17 18:23:18

The world really is your oyster!

Germany/Austria/Switzerland. Beautiful scenery.
Vietnam/Cambodia
Malaysia/Borneo
Argentina
Off the beaten track Spain

Iflyaway Sat 04-Feb-17 18:23:24

LOL @ middle aged couple grin

I'm coming up to 62! shock

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 04-Feb-17 19:13:59

Gosh - so you have time, money and really no restrictions!!

I'd do some serious exploring in Europe. Get into websites like iEscape which have gorgeous smaller boutique hotels which will tick your luxury box but be off the beaten path a bit more and not necessarily beachy. If you still plan 3 weeks, consider picking a country or region and doing a week in three different hotels or places. You could combine a city, something in the mountains for walking and then maybe something more lazy with fab pool near the sea.

If you do Spain, e.g. you could do a week in San Sebastian enjoying the amazing Michelin star food, then maybe head to Barcelona and then head a bit further south to enjoy a luxury resort near the beach.

Or as someone said upthread Germany and Switzerland are both stunningly beautiful and in summer have great weather.

You could Greek island hop or do the Greek mainland.

With a 3 year old and one on the way I am literally seething with jealousy at the idea of avoiding kids clubs and busy resorts!

mumblechum0 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:37:08

Oooooh oooh ooooh I honestly thought we had run out of options but how could I have missed great chunks of the planet! Argentina definitely on the list as are Greek islands ( poss chartering a yacht for a few days then a villa), and Switzerland also looks beautiful!

I run my own business and last week having 3 weeks off was q stressful because I was still fielding new enquiries, so am thinking of 3 2-week hols spread over the year.

Thanks all so much, am now feeling very inspired 😊😊😊

cauliwobbles Sat 04-Feb-17 19:40:27

Venezuela, Ecuador, Argentina and Iguasu Falls?

Trills Sat 04-Feb-17 19:40:58

www.gadventures.co.uk/

Organised tour of somewhere exciting? In a group and "looked after" but with some freedom?

I did a two week trip to India last year and it was fab (and not just full of kids on their gap year)

BIWI Sat 04-Feb-17 19:48:36

Why did you need to define yourselves as middle aged? What difference does that make to your post/question?!

mumblechum0 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:55:36

BIWI because we're not 25 year olds who want to go clubbing every night, I guess. Seems relevant to me 😀
Thanks for the other suggestions, now working on where to go first. I've been to the Caribbean before but hit hurricane season so that'll have to wait till Dec.

ShanghaiDiva Sun 05-Feb-17 14:40:57

I think NZ ticks a lot of your boxes - amazing scenery, pretty peaceful if you avoid queenstown and lots of opportunities for cycling and walking.
Cambodia - siem reap - Angkor is amazing, it's flat so you could cycle between temples. The town is pretty noisy in the evening, but easy to avoid the backpacker scene.
Canada - Vancouver and Vancouver Island

randomer Sun 05-Feb-17 14:42:36

Salford?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now