Talk

Advanced search

A warning when booking flights during a "sale"

(10 Posts)
Justbecauseitsso Fri 03-Feb-17 11:09:00

A certain large UK airplane company (can I name and shame on mumsnet?) has tricked me into booking my holiday in their apparent sale.
I booked on the last day of their sale and 2 days later I find out that the very same flight now costs £150 cheaper! They won't refund me the difference when I called. I'm livid. These sales are a con and so this is a warning to all - don't fall into the same trap I did.
As if families don't already get penalised for having to travel during the most expensive times of year we now get conned out of more money for stupidly believing that when a major British flight company proclaims cheaper flights in their sale they are basically lying 😡

FuckOffDailyMailQuitQuotingMN Fri 03-Feb-17 11:12:02

Oh that kind of thing makes me so cross. They shouldn't be allowed to advertise the last day of a sale, end the sale and then reduce prices even further!

I've done a booking like this on BA. It pissed me right off and they did reduce the price of my flight by giving me a credit that was good for a year.

Justbecauseitsso Fri 03-Feb-17 11:51:59

@FODMQQMN - I know! It's outrageous. It took me 20 minutes to get through to someone on their phone lines just to be told I could change the dates but then there would be a penalty of £60 for each flight time I change! It's just one con after another. How did you manage to receive the credit?
I'm going to see if I can get any help from ATOL - but you are right this should not be allowed and they should be called out on it!

HeyMacWey Fri 03-Feb-17 11:54:03

Did you pay by credit card? You might be able to claim the difference through them.

mummymeister Fri 03-Feb-17 13:03:14

name and shame but honestly there are just so many cons out there its not true and anyone could have been caught out by it.

some of the comparison sites, quote a low price, you go through to book and then it comes back - oh we have been onto the airline and now the price is £zzz more.

can you get someone to tweet about it and tweet about it yourself? sometimes they will do a refund as a good will gesture.

BareGrylls Fri 03-Feb-17 15:38:49

This is true of all holiday companies and packages. I once got truly scorched buying a holiday which went dramatically down in price a few days later. They flatly refused to reduce the price and it was actually cheaper for me to cancel, lose the deposit and re-book.
There is no such thing as a cheap holiday.
I never check the price after I've booked now grin

I can't see how you can "claim" anything back as they have fulfilled their part of the deal by supplying your tickets?

FuckOffDailyMailQuitQuotingMN Fri 03-Feb-17 15:49:38

I just got a good will credit of the difference to be used in the next 12 months. I don't know if it's because we use BA a lot or if that made no difference at all.

KingMortificadosMistress Sat 04-Feb-17 23:50:18

Contact them on public social media to make the complaint. Modern world its the best way.

Beyond that The Sunday Times has a travel column where they sort out stuff like this for people. Try referring this to them. Maybe other publications do similar "Watch Dog" type travel columns other people could recommend?

Revealall Sun 05-Feb-17 12:47:18

It is an offence to be misleading under the Consumer Act 87 section 21 ;

that the price will be increased, reduced or maintained when the person giving the price indication has no such expectation eg where consumers are told that a lower price will be charged for goods until a certain date when in fact there is no intention to raise them after that date;

As they haven't raised them after the sale, that should constitute misleading. I'm not a lawyer but it may be worth a shot. I agree this need to be publicised. Sunday Times, Daily Mail wherever

Notjustuser1458393875 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:53:24

Assuming this is BA (tediously familiar with that £60 charge) I commute with them by air every week. When the sale came up I looked at my usual route, and the prices were higher than I pay week in week out. I expect there's a way legally they get away with (I didn't click through to individual flights so maybe they were peak flights that usually cost more) it but I was unimpressed as you can always fly more cheaply than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now