Talk

Advanced search

Chamonix in June

(12 Posts)
northernlights84 Sun 29-Jan-17 16:12:32

Hi, I've just booked Chamonix for four nights on the 12th of June. There will me two adults and a nearly three year old. Has anybody been at this time? Could you suggest things to do/see?

Thanks

blackpoolassy Sun 29-Jan-17 16:15:14

Aiguille du midi, some lovely walks if you have a good carrier

northernlights84 Sun 29-Jan-17 16:21:14

We do- will we be ok with it on the flight do you know? Or will it count as one of our hand luggages?

blackpoolassy Sun 29-Jan-17 18:57:45

Hmmm not sure. Might it count as one of your 2 baby items. Depending on who you fly with

OldLagNewName Sun 29-Jan-17 21:55:14

Go up mountains in chairlifts / gondolas! Minimal walking but all the fabulous views. Can't remember whether there are any in Chamonix itself but there are loads around there.

I probably wouldn't go to the Mer de Glace glacier with a 3 year old, unless you don't mind missing out the glacier itself because it's down (and up again) about 250 steps. Although having said that, the train ride up to Montenvers is lovely and there's a couple of other little attractions up there without all the steps, so it could still be fun. Two of the adults could go inside the glacier at least!

There's a fun park near the station that goes up to Montenvershttp://www.chamonixparc.com/index.php/en/summer/chamonix-luge-alpine-coster.html - mostly things for older kids but a playground, carousel and trampolines that would be fine for a 3 year old.

Enjoy! I love the Alps in summer.

northernlights84 Mon 30-Jan-17 06:20:46

Thank you that's really useful

LeMesmer Mon 30-Jan-17 20:22:15

A trip to the Emosson dam is good with young children. You go up on the world's steepest funicular, then a ride in a panoramic train for about 10 minutes (I think sometimes they run steam trains), then up to the dam in a miniature funicular. Lovely views and you can walk around at the top across the dam and further. It is almost at the Swiss border but you can get there on public transport. Sorry I can't link but if you search for Verticalp Emosson you will find it.

LeMesmer Mon 30-Jan-17 20:31:39

If you take the cable car from Vallorcine up to the Tete de Balme (again further along the valley towards Switzerland), there is a lovely and easy scenic walk back down to the valley, you pass through farms so see a few cows with the big bells, might appeal to the DC. It is also easily reached on public transport. When we have been to Chamonix the hotels gave free passes for all trains and buses up and down the valley.

physicsisfun Mon 30-Jan-17 20:36:38

I have done and would recommend you do Mer de Glace at that time of year, on a sunny day it's simply beautiful, even just from the top where you get off the train.

If the cable car down into glacier isn't running or is threatening to stop due to wind (highly likely) then don't even think about attempting the steps with small kids.

The train ride up from Chamonix will be fun for all and, along with that view totally worth it even without getting inside the ice caves. Take a picnic and just sit somewhere overlooking the view while the other adults take the steps.

northernlights84 Mon 30-Jan-17 20:41:22

This is great thank you- I'm getting excited already!

heron98 Tue 31-Jan-17 09:00:03

I love the Alps in summer. June is quite early in the mountain season if you're going up and there may still be some snow.

LeMesmer Tue 31-Jan-17 23:54:35

You'll have a lovely time, I am really envious, would love to be going back this year. If the weather is really awful , (I hope not) there is really good indoor pool, ice skating, and the crystal museum is good for an hour.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: