Talk

Advanced search

Disney Florida

(16 Posts)
Billybob123 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:22:43

Would welcome any comment / advice.
We have four kids (10-14) and I am keen to go to DF before kids exams click in. Partner is not so keen.
We have been to DParis twice and although really enjoyed it, would not go back. My thoughts are to try and put together a package ourselves, but am clueless about going. My gut feel (don't laugh), is the tickets will cost around £2k for 14days but we would probably not use them all and may (naïve?) be able to sell them on for the odd day?), flights guessing around £4k, accommodation (is it wise to rent outside a gated complex?) £2k and car hire etc. £1k. Am I way off or should I just hand the package organising over to ANO?
Any comments invited

Weloveoptimus Sun 29-Jan-17 10:33:22

Hi Billy. You are roughly ok with those prices as a guide.
You can't sell the tickets on nowadays as they are registered to each person before you enter the gates. If another person tried to enter they wouldn't get in, as on your first day they fingerprint match your tickets with you!
Food is expensive in recent years. We spent about $90 a day for myself and two kids. Breakfast at hotel.
Get accommodation near to parks as possible. Free shuttles from hotels are useless as you get there too late to avoid major queues. If you have a hire car, disney charge approx 20 dollars to park each day, so we took a taxi.
First time we went we had Thomson do everything organisation wise, second time year after I did each bit myself.
The only thing I really saved some money on was the transfer from airport to hotel. Just take a taxi, easy and cheaper from Sanford airport or OI.
Have a fantastic time!
I recommend you stay in a hotel either near Disney or near Universal Studios....work out which you'll visit the most. They are both AMAZING!

lokijet Sun 29-Jan-17 10:38:49

if you are on Facebook there are several groups - try searching disney / orlando for UK or Brits - lots of comments and advice

Im taking my son and we are staying at disney property but there are loads of other ideas around

Have fun

Billybob123 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:15:36

Really helpful comments particularly about the selling on of passes and the parking cost. Do you mind me asking did you save much when you did the organising yourself?

Billybob123 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:16:31

Ditto on the Facebook. Never thought of that!!!

FreshStart2017 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:23:49

Join "It's Orlando Time" for good info.

With 4 children I'd look for a villa rather than a hotel.

Are you planning on doing Disney and Universal?

Billybob123 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:38:50

Suspect a villa makes sense thanks. Never been before, but my ignorant view would be to get a ticket that accesses all six(?) parks and yes do Universal (is that one of the parks or separate???). Apologies, starting from a base knowledge of zero

mummymeister Sun 29-Jan-17 11:40:19

buy the books WDW with kids and beyond WDW with kids. you really will not regret this! We used ours constantly when planning the trip and during the time there and have recommended on to everyone we know. also have a look at the Dibb website.

I would plan for a villa - gives you much more flexibility and space than a hotel. I would also plan to spend quite a lot of time at Universal as its definitely hugely better for older kids. I think your flight prices are a bit light as your kids will probably have to pay adult prices. also you need to be first in the queue when the flights come out and grab them then book your accommodation. we staying in a lovely villa at sunset lakes and one a bit further out. if you want details message me as we are a larger family and this really suited us.

OFFFS Sun 29-Jan-17 11:51:35

We went in 2015, spent a few days on site at universal and 10 days on the Disney resort. We used the meal plan (3 x meals and a snack each day). I have 4 DCs too and I didn't want to be thinking about food.

My DCs were 8 - 14. We spent a lot more time in Universal. Disney was good, and we spent most time on Epcot which surprised us. For rides and excitement it's Universal all the way. Do try to get a meal in at the Beasts castle in Disney. We had breakfast there (on the meal plan). Universal has Harry Potter. It's just fabulous. I'd go again just for that (actually that why I booked Universal onsite - the extra hours).

In an ideal world I would have gone for three weeks, hired a villa and a car and done all the other parks. (Busch Gardens etc). And seen a lot more of the area.

It's all done really well. I used Travel Planners and got really bamboozled so I think I spent more than I needed to.

When you start searching, if you used Thomson or any other Travel agents sites, make sure you clear your cookies regularly. And see the price drop by hundreds of pounds. I had a big row with Thomson about it.

I've been talking about going back next year but Trump is putting me off going to America at all.

Billybob123 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:56:29

Thanks MummyM, would love to hear more details regarding where you stayed. Do I message you separately??? Also what is WDW (Walt Disney World???)

FreshStart2017 Sun 29-Jan-17 12:13:37

If you are doing both Disney and Universal then your ticket cost for 6 is roughly £3200!

Are your children into bigger rides? If you have been to DLP then I'd be tempted to stick to Universal and book Discovery Cove with Busch Gardens. I'd probably look at the Disney parks and pay for entry to one at the gate or get a 2 day ticket.

Billybob123 Sun 29-Jan-17 16:14:14

Hi FreshStart. I am such a donkey! I had just realised and you confirmed that Universal is not the same as DL........ Durh! And yes tickets up on £3k+

mummymeister Mon 30-Jan-17 08:19:48

Billybob - sorry WDW is walt Disney world. they republish every year so go on amazon and get them as an excellent start.

my older kids definitely preferred Universal as did I. we also went to kennedy space centre and busch gardens which again are good for older kids.

if you private message me I will send you all the info that we have.

DarceyBushell Mon 30-Jan-17 20:20:17

We stayed in Holiday Inn Orange Lake resort, great place with huge condos. 10 mins drive to Disney, maybe 30 to Universal. Lots of smaller pools and food choices at the entrance inc a supermarket. We booked with BA, they were very good but we did get a sale price. Agreed we would only ever do a condo if we go back though!

I think with your kids ages, a lot of Disney won't be so interesting unless they are Disney mad. If they like star wars, Hollywood Studios are good, and the water parks are immense. It's a lot to buy a 14 day pass if you don't think you'll go often though. Universal is A.MAZ.ING!!!

Car hire wasn't as much as 1k, maybe only half that and we had an SUV with seats in the boot. Would be tricky with suitcases, but a tip I saw on FB was to price up a taxi for the journeys to and from the airport if the car will be suitable the rest of the time.

Food was anything between dirt cheap and hugely expensive! We did our own breakfast in the condo, took packed lunches into the parks (lunch food was dear in the park as you can imagine) and then ate out each night. Cheapest was $40 (for a proper meal! Miller's Ale House) up to $150 at a fish place. Two adults 2 kids. If you stay in a condo or villa you can obviously do your own pizzas or pick up ready meals at the supermarket (Publix is like a cross between Waitrose and Sainsbury).

It's Orlando Time on FB gave me all the info for my holiday, along with Disney for Brits book.

Iamastonished Tue 31-Jan-17 21:49:55

Definitely stay somewhere self catering otherwise meals are going to rack up your spends. DD and I found some nice self service eateries near our hotel, and they were much cheaper than eating in any of the parks, and also cheaper than the hotel.

Places where you get table service always suggest between 18% - 23% tip on top of the bill, and alcohol is expensive. There is a massive Walmart about 2 or 3 miles away from the Universal parks and you can stock up on food and drink for lower prices than here.

Don't forget that sales tax is always added at the till when you buy anything in the US.

Billybob123 Sun 05-Feb-17 10:06:06

Thanks everyone, Lots to think about and appreciate the help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now