loader

Talk

Advanced search

Universal Studios

(18 Posts)
knackeredinyorkshire Fri 27-Jan-17 18:34:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

theaveragewife Fri 27-Jan-17 18:39:26

We bought the fast passes and they were ridiculously expensive...we also didn't need them for any of the rides we wanted to go on. Go to HP first thing as it gets very busy! I would stay at a universal hotel as you get access to so much....citywalk at night time is really lively and fun too.

KERALA1 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:43:14

We went to the la one didn't need fast passes just got there early and went on all the best rides even though it meant zig zagging across the park. Queued no more than 10 minutes. Done them all by mid morning when the crowds arrived

VanillaSugar Fri 27-Jan-17 18:46:38

If you stay at a universal hotel and get fast passes, you automatically are allowed into Harry Potter world an hour before the park opens to the rest of the public. Well worth it. A friend went in august, didn't stay on-site, didn't get a fast pass and queued for 3 hours for Gringotts.

VanillaSugar Fri 27-Jan-17 18:48:02

But..... err..... have you actually booked the holiday yet? If not, book it tomorrow otherwise you won't get any flights.

MadisonAvenue Fri 27-Jan-17 18:51:47

We've been to the ones in Orlando and LA. Queuing time at Harry Potter in Orlando was considerably longer than in LA. For instance we were queuing for over an hour for the Forbidden Journey ride where as in LA we were just walking straight through, so the queue was as long as it took you to walk through the castle.
So, I would definitely go with the onsite hotel and fast pass option for Orlando.

Chrisinthemorning Fri 27-Jan-17 18:53:05

We stayed at Portofino Bay - checked in and left bags at 7am. Straight into US to Hogsmeade etc. Stayed 1 night and checked out first thing but left bags and went straight to the park.
The on site hotels are lovely- it's definitely worth it for the express passes and early entry.
Have fun

knackeredinyorkshire Fri 27-Jan-17 18:57:18

knackeredinyorkshire Fri 27-Jan-17 19:32:40

whatisfair Fri 27-Jan-17 20:22:09

We did 4 days in Orlando last Easter: 2 nights universal; 2 nights - Disney. It was was wonderful. Our kids are a bit younger so we stayed at Royal Pacific, rather than the Hard Rock. The fast passes were great but you need to do Harry Potter very early in the morning - taking advantage of free hour. Then the queue is quite manageable even on the busiest days. Make sure you have tickets which allow you into both universal parks on the same day so that you can ride the hogwarts express. We bought Disney/universal combo tickets online (2 days universal; 3 days Disney), which worked out the cheapest way to do it. We went to the parks in the morning (by boat from hotels) swam/slept in the afternoon and went back in the evenings. Magical. We really valued staying on site at both parks.

DarceyBushell Sat 28-Jan-17 17:54:27

Hard Rock was great! Boat or not too long a walk to the parks. We went Easter 2016 and were really glad of the passes, walked onto most rides and got at least 2 or 3 done every hour. Book restaurants, always busy! Harry Potter early as possible. We were lucky and got a queue jumper for HP after a water ride broke down! The water rides soak you to your pants regardless of what you do :-) you on it's Orlando time on fb? Great group.

DarceyBushell Sat 28-Jan-17 17:55:48

You'll have a brilliant time!

knackeredinyorkshire Sat 28-Jan-17 18:52:06

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 28-Jan-17 18:54:25

It's my dream to stay at the Hard Rock - it looks amazing.

DownHereInTheHorridHouse Sat 28-Jan-17 18:56:39

I'm just back from Hard Rock! Last time we were there was May/June, so both times very busy for Disney but not Universal.

Walk to park from there is so quick - takes you longer to get the boat. It's only a few minutes so you can easily pop back to the hotel if you need anything. If you need any up-to-date info, just ask!

knackeredinyorkshire Sat 28-Jan-17 19:23:55

DownHereInTheHorridHouse Sat 28-Jan-17 20:57:27

They definitely did the early hours when we were there, but with the fast passes, I'm not sure you need them. The Harry Potter rides are the busiest and you can't use the FP for a lot of them - although you can for the Hogwarts Express between the parks. Hard Rock hotel is lovely, so I'd say go for that with the passes though rather than elsewhere if it all works out the same price.

We ate in the parks and City Walk as we tend to just do as much as possible - not exactly fine dining classy types us wink. We stayed in the Royal Pacific once (which I hated) and did eat in the restaurant there - it was fussy and expensive, but that was a few years ago.

We do have some allergies and dietary requirements - the proper restaurants would be better for that as the park fast food outlets are pretty clueless.

The location of Hard Rock alone makes it worth it in my opinion. It has a really nice, safe atmosphere. Are you travelling between Disney and there? It's about $35 for a taxi if you are. Only other thing I can think is time back to the airport - if you're going there straight after, I'd leave four hours before the flight as getting through Orlando airport can be horrific at times. Think taxi was $50 or $60 between Hard Rock and there. If I think of any more, I'll be back!

DarceyBushell Sun 29-Jan-17 08:16:10

We did breakfast at Starbucks in the park! With the early hours we were in at 7am! They were slow to announce them though, and only one park was open. I meant restaurants such as hard Rock cafe, the ones at city walk. The hotel looked a bit fancy for us! It is totally worth staying that one night for the passes alone, we had the opportunity to go back later in our stay and didn't because we couldn't face having to queue with the civilians­čśé

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now