Talk

Advanced search

Which Greek island is the best?

(12 Posts)
Pineapplemilkshake Fri 27-Jan-17 14:07:26

Hi, we are hoping to book 10-12 days in August this summer to one of the Greek islands, as a change as none of us have been before.

Does anyone have any recommendations about which is the nicest/or any advice on good resorts? We have a DS10 who enjoys water parks and scuba diving, and we will probably also hire bikes and a car. We like spending a few days by the pool but mostly doing activities e.g. Jeep safari or boat trips. We are based in Ireland which slightly limits direct flight options - probably to Zante, Crete, Corfu. Any advice is appreciated!

donteverlookback Fri 27-Jan-17 14:21:22

Don't know Greece at all well but will be interested to hear about the diving thereabouts too. TBH the Med as a whole doesn't have a great reputation for diving, except perhaps for caves in places like Malta. I had always heard visibility is poor - do you know different, OP?

Iamastonished Fri 27-Jan-17 14:23:45

I have been to Crete and Corfu and enjoyed both of them.

AnyFucker Fri 27-Jan-17 14:24:27

I can recommend Zante. It has all the things you like. In particular the resort of Tsilivi.

Pineapplemilkshake Fri 27-Jan-17 14:44:25

Thanks, much appreciated. We have only tried diving from Salou which wasn't great, though I did hear Zante had some nice caves.

OnyK Fri 27-Jan-17 19:15:32

I've been to all 3. I don't think you can go far wrong with the Greek Islands, so long as you avoid the kiddy-drunk resorts. Some of the larger 'family' resorts are quite noisy and busy, but there are plenty of smaller more authentic resorts, if you prefer.

helenfagain Fri 27-Jan-17 19:16:24

I've been to Zante and Corfu, much prefer Zante.

Wandainn Fri 27-Jan-17 19:24:52

I've been to many Greek islands. Last year was in Zante, I agree Tsilivi is a nice busy family resort. Some beautiful boat trips where you can dive off the boat and snorkel in caves. Probably not great for serious scuba divers though.
None of the Greek islands have really outstanding water parks IMO, if a water park is truly a priority I would go to Tenerife.

Pineapplemilkshake Fri 27-Jan-17 22:45:58

Thanks for the advice everyone smile

Makemineacabsauv Thu 02-Feb-17 21:54:56

Love Crete and Corfu and there diving off both islands. Corfu is greener and Crete more barren but both are stunning. Both have water parks but Corfu's main water park is imo better than the ones we went to in Crete, less busy and a bit cheaper. You can do boat trips on both, Corfu isn't as big as Crete so the trips are a bit closer than some offered on Crete and therefore cheaper. Trips from Crete include a short sail to the old keeper colony of Spinalonga (read The Island by Victoria Hislop or Who pays the ferryman) and the beautiful island of Santorini (v expensive as it's done distance away). There are Beach bbqs and mini cruises from both islands too! You can do evening cruises into Corfu Town which is more picturesque than Heraklion (love Chania though!) and trips to other islands like Paxos and anti Paxos, the mainland inc Parga and Albania. You can do glass bottom boat trips as well. Both islands offer jeep safaris. My fave resorts are Roda in Corfu - family friendly, Sandy beach, Elounda, Rethymnon area and Stallis (kids love Stallis) on Crete. Sea at Stallis is wild though and it's right in between 2 big brash resorts though it's quieter.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 03-Feb-17 19:12:02

I have been to all three that you mention and many others. I don't think I have been to one I didn't like.

We went to Corfu last year and stayed in Roda, which is lovely.

alsmutko Sun 12-Feb-17 12:23:56

Corfu is lovely. Tiny beaches.
Kephalonia (Skala a couple of years back, going May) is gorgeous.
South Crete last year (Palorchora) was very nice in the autumn. Great food.
Been to quite a few others, Thassos, Spetses, Rhodes, Lesbos. None of them have much in the way of water parks (I don't think, but I'm not likely to go so may have just not noticed).
But all of them have people who just love children and will spoil them rotten given half a chance. In general that is, of course you could be unlucky and come across a Greek Fawlty but that could happen anywhere.
I have many happy memories of when DD was small and I and a friend with her own DD went to Greece several years and had waiters entertaining two little girls (and offering mums free after-dinner drinks). Perfect. Do go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now