Talk

Advanced search

Holidaying alone

(6 Posts)
TheTapir Thu 26-Jan-17 15:06:34

Having fairly recently split up with my husband due to his cheating, I'd like to book a get away this year so that I have something to look forward to.

We were together for 20 years so it's been a while since I went away by myself and I'm not feeling very confident about it. I did a couple of spa breaks in the UK last year and am planning a walking weekend with an organised group but I'd really like to go somewhere warm for a week or so.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anywhere safe, with nice weather, for a single female traveller?

Also, what do you do about putting sun cream on your back if you are alone and want to do some sunbathing?

NannyR Thu 26-Jan-17 15:14:36

I've done lots of travelling as a single woman, I can really recommend Exodus as a good travel company. I've done a few trips with them, they run small group tours with a local guide. The groups usually have a mix of couples and singles, all ages and various nationalities. You can pay a small supplement to have your own room or they will pair you up with a similar aged woman.

SecretPeanut Thu 26-Jan-17 15:18:04

How much have you got to spend?

When i became single my first trip alone was to Spain, that was 10 years ago and since then i have traveled the world alone. Made some great friends, and although i'm in a relationship now, being a solo female traveler was the best thing i've ever done.

Spain, Canary Islands, Malta, Italy, Greece etc are easy and safe. For your first time i would recommend a hotel not too far from the airport, just in case you get the jitters and need to come home. Make sure you have plenty on your credit card, be wise when you go out, tell the reception desk where your going etc and just enjoy exploring.

If you want to venture further a field and don't mind the long flight and transfers, i've done the Maldives twice in the last couple of years and it was fantastic. You would think the resorts were full of honeymooners but that's not the case. Lots of single females travel there.

The UAE is fab but you have to be a bit more aware being a lone female traveler. The Arabs will look after you but the resident Indian men can be a bit of a pain.

As for suncream, i've learnt how to bend my arms round smile. Putting it on the back of my hand helps and rubbing up my back

TheTapir Thu 26-Jan-17 15:36:25

Thanks for the replies. I guess my budget will depend a bit on the divorce settlement but I should have around £1k.

I'll have a look at Exodus thank you. I think I'd probably be happier not going to far afield this year whilst I get used to the idea of doing it alone.

RusholmeRuffian Thu 26-Jan-17 17:26:08

I've been on plenty of solo holidays to Greece and Cyprus and always had a lovely time.

Aerosol suncreams come in very handy!

TheTapir Thu 26-Jan-17 18:02:21

*too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now