Talk

Advanced search

A trip to IRELAND with DD1 and DS3, need accom in South/Dublin area

(16 Posts)
Wolfgirl Sun 25-Feb-07 10:53:43

Hi, anyone got any tips for cheap accommodation in southern Ireland? We have friends in the North, but nothing in the south. WE can get a ferry trip over there with Tesco clubcard deals!!! yes, they do ferry crossings from most ports now!

Other than camp - we need either hostel accomm or .... <<shrugs shoulders>> anywhere that would be practical with two small children.

many thanks xx

auntymandy Sun 25-Feb-07 10:54:36

try welcome cottages

foxybrown Sun 25-Feb-07 10:55:26

considered a house-swap? not for everyone, but suits small children and cheap.
I seem to be plugging it alot this morning ....

auntymandy Sun 25-Feb-07 10:56:58

to start you off!

Wolfgirl Sun 25-Feb-07 11:00:47

...cant really do a house swap unless we get our kitchen finished. Have been working in situ for nearly 18 months, half my units are in the hall, so doubt anyone would want to swap and come to my house LOL the garden is fab though, as we had £3k worth of decking put in last year, good outdoor toys etc. but no decent kitchen!

Wolfgirl Sun 25-Feb-07 11:02:23

Hi auntymandy I will take a look at the cottage site, thank you . But we would only need say 2 or 3 days at a time, as would only want to use it as a base, to tour round a bit. Maybe 3 days near to Dublin, then say 3 days over the side (so we could also do the Aaron Isles). Mmmm... will look to see if anything avail though.
xx

auntymandy Sun 25-Feb-07 11:07:26

they do do short breaks. what about youth hostel?

corkgirl Wed 28-Feb-07 08:41:05

these do short breaks and are very family friendly

Wolfgirl Wed 28-Feb-07 08:56:00

thanks corkgirl I will look into it. xxx

laloop Wed 28-Feb-07 09:05:17

Hope you enjoy your trip . You could try looking for accomodation around Bray area (Co Wicklow) which is just outside Dublin, has a beach and is on the DART system.

Also Trinity College provide accomodation

trinitycollege

Wolfgirl Wed 28-Feb-07 11:44:57

laloop interesting, I know Wicklow, been there a couple of times in my single days! Interesting about the T.college. will check that out, we have kiddies though, not sure it will be suitable, but it is a fab site/buildings, would be fun to stay there. xx

laloop Wed 28-Feb-07 12:46:26

Wolfgirl, if you're thinking about Bray, this hotel is popular with families on short breaks (we've stayed there before with our 3 dc's and it was fine). Has a pool etc and I think there's a children's club in the early evening as well.

here

stleger Wed 28-Feb-07 12:52:02

Have you checked the ferry websites, they sometimes do deals for cottages.

sunnydelight Wed 28-Feb-07 14:28:12

Be careful with hostels in the centre of Dublin, many of them are full of hen/stag weekenders, not really what you want with kids! Dun Laoghaire would be good with kids - it's a bit out of town but there are good transport links. I just googled accommodation Dun Laoghaire and www.daft.ie have some short let apartments. B&Bs should be ok for a few nights - Ireland is generally more child friendly than England and you might even get lucky and find somewhere that will offer to babysit if you want it.

Wolfgirl Wed 28-Feb-07 14:37:05

We are not wanting to spend more than about £40 max per night for a family room, and only want about 3 nights stay in say... Wicklow maybe a bit further south, and then over to the west side of Ireland for another 3 days. so maybe B&B is the best option.

re the ferry companies. we will be able to pay now with Tesco Clubcard deals (yeyyyy!!), so that will be a bit cheaper. But will take your advice and look into what accomm. they might offer.

xx

stleger Wed 28-Feb-07 15:05:39

Look at Kellys Resort Rosslare - I only know one family who can afford it, but sure you might win the lottery! If you don't have to be at the seaside try a bit inland for farms and cottages and things?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now