Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to Ireland for a 3 day break without car

(31 Posts)
LHB43 Tue 24-Jan-17 14:48:05

Hi,
We want to go to either the West or Southern part of Ireland- probably for a 3 day break in May I have only been to Dublin and the Midlands before. We have a 10 year old son who isn't used to walking long distances. We don't want to be anywhere where it is too remote/quiet .Please can anyone advise me: Are there any places to stay where you can get by without a car? Was hoping to be not too far away from the coast. Would be looking at staying in a b+b.What airports are good to fly in to?
Any tips /advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Changebagsandgladrags Fri 27-Jan-17 09:35:03

Most towns and even small villages are connected by the bus www.buseireann.ie although small villages might not get service everyday. The buses are good quality coach types, like our National Express.

Or you could look at a destination on the Dublin - Wexford train line. It's a beautiful line.

Personally I'd fly in to Dublin to get the best connections.

TizzyDongue Fri 27-Jan-17 10:11:15

For the west you'd really be better off hiring a car (if you can drive) at Shannon airport

Otherwise go to Ennis - there's buses to Lahinch (not particularly frequent).

Check getthere.ie

TizzyDongue Fri 27-Jan-17 10:14:10

Lahinch for the sea

getthere.ie/ennis-lahinch/

Cliffs of Mother are a nice visit too (again buses not frequent)

getthere.ie/ennis-cliffs_of_moher/

LHB43 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:40:40

Thank you for your tips- I have heard that the Cliffs of Moher are nice.

LHB43 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:42:41

Yes we did think about car hire but there seems to be a big insurance charge which slightly puts us off. Perhaps I need to look into car hire abit more. Thanks for your ideas.

empirerecordsrocked Fri 27-Jan-17 22:44:53

I think you for 3 days you really need a car just for ease and to get out and about. Where are you coming from that the insurance is so high - - normally it's an excess that gets refunded if you don't damage the car?

LHB43 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:46:09

Thanks - we will look into that. Dublin does seem to be the best served airport. Seems a shame that commercial flights don't go to Galway or Waterford at the moment.Will do some more research!

LHB43 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:49:47

Sometimes I have heard that if there is as much as a scratch on a car, then you lose the money you've put down. It does seem a lot easier if you have transport. Have you had experience of hiring a car at the airport?

TizzyDongue Fri 27-Jan-17 22:53:05

Yes, well know a good few people who have, no problems.

puckingfixies Fri 27-Jan-17 22:57:16

Some great value flights to/from Knock airport, just over an hours bus journey from the airport to Westport which is lovely.

LHB43 Sun 29-Jan-17 00:18:39

Thanks, will check that out.

Sounbelievablydull Sun 29-Jan-17 19:56:25

Can I second Westport?
Knock airport very easy to get cheap flights
Re car hire it's the excess that's the issue really, you can get independent hire car excess insurance fir £40 for a whole year so that does eliminate that problem- look at insurance for car hire website
Westport has wonderful beaches nearby great pubs and restaurants horse riding wonderful scenery great family friendly hotels lovely people

Shopgirl1 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:03:11

What about flying to Cork, seeing there, then bus or train to Limerick or Ennis, then on to Galway? Loads to see in Cork and Galway, lots of countryside along the way. Fly home then from Shannon.

NotAMammy Sun 29-Jan-17 20:23:26

I haven't been to Westport, it's very much on my must-do list though. Or fly to Dublin, get a bus straight to Galway city? Plenty to do around the city itself, imo, and can do day-trips to Salthill, etc?

I may be biased as Galway is my favourite city though.

Sounbelievablydull Sun 29-Jan-17 21:09:26

Yes Galway is lovely. I suppose it depends what you are looking for.
We live in London so really like the small town vibe of Westport but if you are look good for shops etc then probably Galway is a better choice

CMOTDibbler Sun 29-Jan-17 21:18:16

I've flown into Dublin and got the bus to Galway before - a direct bus from the airport which was v comfy and convenient. You could then stay in Galway and do stuff around there

WaterBelle Sun 29-Jan-17 21:24:11

I totally know what you should do.
Fly to Cork. Then right outside the terminal jump on a bus to Kinsale. About 40 minutes it's by bus. It's a coastal town with lots of hotels, B&Bs and water sport type things to do and loads of pubs a d restaurants within a small harbour town. Beach about 20 minute walk. It will be very lively in May.

Brown76 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:28:51

Fly to Shannon then bus to Galway city (2 hours) city stuff to do (museums, pubs, nice city centre) seaside, amusement park/swimming pool.

Only1scoop Sun 29-Jan-17 21:30:43

For Cliffs of Moher and West Coast I would say you need a car.
I don't know where you are looking for prices we go every year and Car hire is cheap as chips.

Only1scoop Sun 29-Jan-17 21:32:24

Try Knock and look at Car hire from there.
Westport easily reachable also Donegal, Connemara etc

MrsMulder Sun 29-Jan-17 21:33:35

Big fan of Westport here too op. Fly to knock, stay in Westport itself and I would definitely get a car. So many lovely places to visit there. Old head beach, croagh Patrick and Connemara, Ashleigh falls.

Kannet Sun 29-Jan-17 21:34:45

Fly to knock, stay in Westport. It's beautiful

CanIKondo Sun 29-Jan-17 22:11:28

Totally agree with WaterBelle. Short trip from Cork to Kinsale and easy place to walk round lots of good places to eat and drink and lots of stuff going on. Could also do a day in Cork. Will be fab!

gabsdot Wed 01-Feb-17 21:04:55

i'd suggest flying into Shannon Visit Bunratty castle and folk park. It's great. You can stay in Limerick city, King John's castle is worth a visit and then take a bus trip to the cliffs of Moher and and alliwee caves (including the birds of prey)
It would be easier with a car but is doable without.
If you are in the mood for a longer journey go to Kilkee and go on a dolphin watch boat. It's amazing to see the dolphins in the wild.
Have a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now