Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your best holiday with under 6s

(20 Posts)
Misty9 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:39:31

Just that really smile looking for inspiration...

elQuintoConyo Sun 22-Jan-17 21:43:25

Valencia.

Warm. Easy to fly to. Loads to do. There is a dried up river bed that circles the city which has been turned into a massive park. You can rent bikes, play football, climb underneath various bridges that cross it.

Nit to mention the aquarium (spectacular) and the science museum etc that are up one end.

The old quarter is safe and really interesting. Lots of great places to eat.

We have been twice and loved it. DS was 2.5yo and 3.5yo. We may go back again this year when he'll be 5.5yo.

venys Sun 22-Jan-17 21:47:36

My eldest is SEN so we have to be a bit particular. But last year's holiday was good. Went to Lalandia in Billund, Denmark. Only 1.5 hour flight. Resort is next to airport and like a cheaper Centreparcs with better water park complex, soft play and lots of activities. Legoland across the road and you can get a weekly pass. If you are feeling adventurous there are a few other outdoorsy activities in the region.

No1HolidayPlanner Sun 22-Jan-17 21:50:21

We had two wonderful holidays here when mine were around that age.. www.bestfrenchgites.co.uksmile

wiltingfast Sun 22-Jan-17 21:52:39

Ferry

France

Campsite

No flying, loads of instant playmates, loads of wine grin

Breward Sun 22-Jan-17 21:53:57

Torridge House Cottages in Devon. A fab farm holiday. My DC (now 16 and 14) still, fondly, talk of our two summers spent there when they were little.

holida67.wixsite.com/torridge-house

leccybill Sun 22-Jan-17 21:54:54

Blue Lagoon Village in Kos was lovely. As was Cala Bona, Majorca.

Valencia sounds amazing, I'm researching flights now!

Misty9 Sun 22-Jan-17 22:27:01

We loved valencia too - and have been to cala bona! Ds is a bit challenging so we have to pick carefully as well venys and he hates water, which makes it doubly hard!

I was thinking about camping in France this summer. Denmark also sounds interesting...

Keep them coming!

eckythumpenallthat Sun 22-Jan-17 22:31:11

We went to Egypt in September with DD who was 4 and she enjoyed it

But got to say our holiday to menorca (cala n'Bosch) when dd was 3 was soooo much better

ginswinger Sun 22-Jan-17 22:44:08

Slovenia is great for families. The capital has parks, a zoo and is largely pedestrianised in the centre. And there's castles, of the castles.... so many of them. And the caves. It's like swiss cheese. We like the water parks for a day or two. Lots of outdoor swimming and indoor in the winter. The coastline is very small but good for swimming. People are lovely and everyone speaks English. Wine is good and food is smashing.

Haggisfish Sun 22-Jan-17 22:46:09

Real family holidays-bargainacious, good activities and playmates. www.real-family-holidays.org/?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=rfh2017&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CIm9x6fq1tECFQ6NGwodrV8EVw

NotCitrus Sun 22-Jan-17 22:58:17

West Country. House in enclosed garden well fenced in, hot tub (aka swimming pool for a 3yo) or shrubbery and games room some friends, lots of meals bought in.
No stress about airports, foreign procedures, luggage, etc.

For toddlers, Isle of Wight was so good we returned twice - same deal, self catering house near delis etc. OK there was the odd rainy day but given the lack of organisation needed in comparison to abroad, and not having to worry about overheating, I'd recommend staying in the UK until you really want to go elsewhere as a family.

Have now gone to Europe with kids and it's been great but a lot of planning needed to ensure that.

HeadDreamer Sun 22-Jan-17 23:06:11

Velencia sounds fab!

I don't share the worry about overheating which seems so common on mn. There are children in hot countries too! DC1 has been to Singapore and Malaysia in September when she was 2. It was hot and she was sweaty. But it caused her no harm.

HeadDreamer Sun 22-Jan-17 23:08:44

Southern Europe isn't hot. Went to Mallorca in July a few years back and it wasn't hot at all.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 22-Jan-17 23:19:22

Wales. Stream trains, beaches, castles. What more can the under 6s want?!

Misty9 Mon 23-Jan-17 08:52:13

The kids don't mind the heat, it's dh who combusts! grin we liked majorca too but dh likes to go somewhere different each time... I think he might be the difficult one, not ds!

ajandjjmum Mon 23-Jan-17 08:55:14

Forte Village in Sardinia - went several times years ago. Couldn't afford it now! grin

Kuriusoranj Mon 23-Jan-17 09:09:15

Camping with cousins in Cornwall - not a big facilities-rich place, just a decent shower block and a big field to go crazy in. We took bunches of outdoor toys and a dog, and if we were lucky with the weather so much the better.
At the opposite extreme, the Maldives - picture-perfect beaches, great kids' club and she fell in love with one of the staff smile.

mouldycheesefan Mon 23-Jan-17 12:45:14

Neilsons holidays are fantastic with young kids.
Mauritius with our five year olds was also excellent and not much more then you pay for a quality hotel in Europe.

Misty9 Wed 25-Jan-17 13:31:11

Thanks for all the responses - I'm now trying to convince dh to go away at half term...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now