Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you lock your luggage?

(26 Posts)
mrsdiddlydoo Sun 22-Jan-17 21:02:19

As simple as that... Probably a dumb question but do you? First time taking flights as a family and I can't for the hell of me remember if people lock their luggage. I don't usually travel with anything worth nicking and obviously they could check your bag. I was wondering about using a cable tie to hold the zips together just from a practical point of view but maybe that's mad.
So what do you do? Luggage going into the hold... Any one fancy refreshing my memory?! grin

Watto1 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:08:37

If someone is determined to break into your bag, they will just break the lock. The only time my bag was broken into it was locked. All that was taken was a pair of shoesconfused but there was nothing else in there apart from my dirty washing! (On our way back from our holiday). I haven't bothered with a lock since but absolutely nothing of value goes in my hold baggage.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sun 22-Jan-17 21:10:00

Well, I have a good lock with a dial code thing but I found out that there's a universal key at the bottom of it that the airport can open, so gets me thinking, what's the point hmm

stillwantrachelshair Sun 22-Jan-17 21:15:37

I never bother. All of those locks are so flimsy that they can be picked easily & luggage is (by it's design) portable so it is very easy for someone to take the whole item of luggage elsewhere and hack through the sides of it or something.

lapsedorienteerer Sun 22-Jan-17 21:17:42

mrsdiddlydoo - I use the cable tie option, never had them cut open (yet). Just remember that you need to pack a small pair of scissors in an external pocket of one of your hold cases in order that you can cut the cable tie off on arrival grin.

mrsdiddlydoo Sun 22-Jan-17 21:44:12

Thanks everyone. Especially lapsed. I wouldn't have thought of that! Hahaha. grin Going to dig out some scissors now.

mrsdiddlydoo Sun 22-Jan-17 21:46:00

I just can't face the thought of my dirty laundry going round and round the carasol so have to secure the zip somehow for my own sanity!

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sun 22-Jan-17 21:50:23

Have you seen those cling film shrink wrap machines at some airports. grin Now, that's making sure.

specialsubject Mon 23-Jan-17 11:41:49

no, never. If an item is valuable it should not be in hold luggage.

if the bag is so crap that it can't stand a plane trip, throw it and buy a new one. Soft bags not too overstuffed are best. Make sure that they only have one handle as that is all the baggage team will use.

ShotsFired Mon 23-Jan-17 11:46:14

I use cable ties as well. Easy to instantly see if your bag has been opened but pretty secure. Also cheap and easy to replace.

If travelling though less salubrious parts of the world I also get the shrink wrapping too.

As with all things security, it doesn't have to be 100% perfect, it just has to be enough that ne'er do wells move on to the next (easier) case instead.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Mon 23-Jan-17 11:48:22

I use cable ties. Locks are pointless from a theft perspective and if you are randomly selected for a search and don't have one of the locks they can open them it gets broken anyway. I've been randomly searched twice, first time they broke the lock second time was cable ties and they used one of my spares to secure it after.

ChuffMuffin Mon 23-Jan-17 11:50:08

It is incredibly easy to open a zipper with a ballpoint pen. Just stick the pen in between the teeth and there you go. Easy to zip up again with the zippers, even if they're locked. sad.

Never carry anything expensive in your checked in luggage, if you don't have a choice make sure you wrap your suitcase in a lot of clingfilm or saranwrap.

ChuffMuffin Mon 23-Jan-17 11:50:58

Also with the ballpoint pen in the zip method, it doesn't matter if you've got no lock or the world's most expensive luggage lock, the pen will bypass your locks completely.

WhatHaveIFound Mon 23-Jan-17 11:54:30

We have hard suitcases with combination locks so yes, generally locked.

I've only once had a lock on a suitcase cut by security and that was when i was travelling to ME country and flying with a selection of cds. They were just checking for censoring reasons. Nothing was stolen.

JustPoppingBy Mon 23-Jan-17 12:03:31

Those of you who use cable ties, do you know that you can easily open and re use any and most cable ties?, even with a hair pin or the like.
I have had to do it often in some of the work I do occasionally. It's not difficult, larger ones I can do with my thumb nail.

NotCitrus Mon 23-Jan-17 12:08:28

I use a combination lock. Not that it'll stop any determined thief, but while I don't want the suitcase sides cut open by security (as US ones do if they can't be bothered to remove a lock), I don't want to be in the situation my dad was in once where airport staff opened his case and stole his work shoes (nice Church's and Loakes), which were a bugger to replace in a country where men have smaller feet.

ShotsFired Mon 23-Jan-17 13:48:38

JustPoppingBy Those of you who use cable ties, do you know that you can easily open and re use any and most cable ties?, even with a hair pin or the like.

Yes, but as I mentioned earlier, the point is not to be 100% bombproof, it's to be that bit more hassle than it's worth, when there is an unlocked case next to yours. Opportunistic thieves like easy pickings.

JustPoppingBy Mon 23-Jan-17 15:02:44

Just saying....

blueskyinmarch Mon 23-Jan-17 15:06:20

Last time i went to the states my case was locked with a padlock. My bag was selected for a random search and they just cut the lock. Nothing was taken obviously but tbh i think getting into a case will be easy for anyone determined to do so.

chemenger Mon 23-Jan-17 15:28:42

Some of our bags have combination locks, some are zipped and we tend to just hold the two zip tags together with a paperclip threaded through them. We figure that if things are going to get stolen they will be (there is never anything valuable in our checked bags) and it might be better to have no damage to the bag. Actually we have progressed to brightly coloured tags threaded through the zips so we can tell our black suitcases from everyone else's.

user1475317873 Mon 23-Jan-17 16:32:41

We never lock it and have been to lots of places. Have never had a problem

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Mon 23-Jan-17 17:10:50

I just worry a bit regarding going to "drug zones" , paranoid I'll end up as a drugs mule shock

ArriettyClock1 Mon 23-Jan-17 17:19:49

We never lock luggage.

Often, on arriving back from the US, we've had a note in the case from US customs to say our luggage has been searched. I presume any locks would've been broken had they been enabled.

That issue aside, if someone else wants to get into a case, they will. I always carry my jewellery and electronics in hand luggage.

I never understand the people paying to wrap their cases in 20 layers of cling film? If the bag is subject to a random inspection, it's going to get sliced off.

ShanghaiDiva Tue 24-Jan-17 07:01:42

I lock mine. Customs and security can, of course, break the lock - but hopefully opportunistic thieves will be deterred by the lock and look for easier pickings.

lovelyupnorth Tue 24-Jan-17 08:38:53

Never bother with locking but also don't tend to bother checking in bags anymore.

Never forget when working for an airline a blole came to my desk to complain his bag had not arrived and how was he supposed to get home as his keys and wallet where in that bag. Said sorry, bag will be here in a couple of hours on the next flight. Not a happy bunny.

My dad had some stuff taken from a locked bag a few years ago. To me the lock is an invitation to say look here I might be valuable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now