Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rearranged flights - duty free costing me the earth! RANT alert!

(7 Posts)
MrsMuddlePluck Fri 20-Jan-17 23:52:09

Recently flew from Glasgow to Southampton, but flight was delayed several hours, then cancelled altogether. In order to get home, I had to accept an alternative flight to Birmingham and a bus from there to Southampton.

I had bought some duty free whisky for the first flight, but didn't know/twig that I really ought to have repacked it in my hold suitcase prior to checking in for the new flight. Not being a frequent flyer and and even less frequent duty-free buyer, I genuinely didn't know/realise and at no point did anyone suggest I ought to pack the stuff in my case.

After my case had been checked in, the flight staff said they didn't know what I ought to do with the whisky. I went back to the desk that had rearranged my flight to be told I'd either have to leave it all behind or check it in as excess baggage. This meant I had to go and buy a new case.

It cost me an extra £40 for excess fees and a further £55 [sic] for the cheapest case I could find that would be suitable. I met another passenger in the same situation who was told she'd have to leave it in left luggage [for £5 a day] and collect it on her return journey. I was en route home so this wasn't an option for me.

Surely this can't be right? I know [now!] I couldn't take it back through security as it was >100ml, but surely someone has a duty of care to just mention that repacking might be a good idea? I stood in a queue for 1.5 hours to get allocated to a new flight so it's not beyond staff to tell us all whilst we were waiting? Someone's making a mint out of unfortunate passengers who are already stressed about not getting home on time and/or don't fly often enough to know how to work the system.

Any advice / thoughts?

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Fri 20-Jan-17 23:57:48

Firstly, can you buy duty free for internal flights?

Secondly, if it was duty free it should be in a sealed bag which shows it was bought airside and is therefore 'safe'.

I had this problem on connecting flights in the U.K when my duty free had been purchased in a country the U.K did not recognise as safe so I had to bin it and my dad didn't get his brandy.

FinnMcCool Sat 21-Jan-17 00:04:21

You can't have bought duty free. You were still within the UK.
And you checked the case in for your replacement flight, but were holding a bag containing a bottle of whiskey, obv liquid, that you expected to take through security?

Kirriemuir Sat 21-Jan-17 08:29:03

They always ask about liquids at check in when I am on a flight.

Revealall Sat 21-Jan-17 12:36:35

I'm confused.
It couldn't be duty free as you didn't leave the uk.
How can you purchase duty free unless you are already through security?
In which case the 100ml rule doesn't apply.

MrsMuddlePluck Sun 22-Jan-17 13:42:59

FinnMcCool: Sorry for any confusion. I purchased in 'duty free area'. As an internal flight it wouldn't have been 'duty free', but they still call the shopping area 'duty free'.

I wasn't really ranting about wanting my money back, as I realise that I should have repacked the stuff, or I'd have posted on AIBU.

It's a rant as I feel angry that I had to spend so much extra - ok so I was a bit stoopid. If I hadn't been stressed out [and incidentally, looking after an elderly lady with dementia as she had no idea at all what was going on when the flight was reorganised], I might have thought 'Ah - hang on a minute...', but my priority was to make sure I got home and the lady got an advocate to help her out.

I just feel that the staff had at least 3 opportunities to tell annoyed passengers to repack any duty free as I wasn't the only one who missed it. There was at least one other passenger who was caught out. It's not beyond anyone to go down the 1.5 hour long line, reminding passengers. At least when I checked in my suitcase, the checkin staff could have asked 'do you have any other bags with you'?

Someone is making a killing from stoopid stressed passengers [the luggage shop and the airline for excess baggage fees].

MrsMuddlePluck Sun 22-Jan-17 13:43:28

Kirriemiur - exactly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now