Talk

Advanced search

Help needed please

(8 Posts)
Louw12345 Fri 20-Jan-17 16:04:04

Going away with my 5 girls we have hand luggage and also 20kg holdall luggage. We are going for 10 days to alicuda (if spelt correctly) in july, so really will only be taking light clothes. What size suitcase will weight around 20kg with light clothes. I don't really want a huge one but don't want loads of little ones. Never bee aboard with them before so any advice on cases would be great thank you

NicknameUsed Fri 20-Jan-17 22:50:47

There is a suitcase brand called IT Luggage Worlds Lightest Suitcase. They are widely available, and I can confirm that they are extremely light and still manage to withstand being thrown about by baggage handlers.

I have had one for a few years and love it.

Louw12345 Sat 21-Jan-17 09:47:47

Thank you for your reply. What size would fit around 20kg nicely.I don't want to get a large one if there will be loads of room. I'm sorry I know this is guess work

specialsubject Sat 21-Jan-17 09:53:55

It is. Can you take more than one case ? 20 kg is heavy.

Also - use soft bags. A case with useless wheels, stupid handle and so on guzzles weight even empty.

LIZS Sat 21-Jan-17 09:58:57

We use a large soft holdall or medium hard suitcase. Check if you can have more than one bag within the allowance, some airlines do , some not.

INeedNewShoes Sat 21-Jan-17 09:59:23

Even filling a large case with winter clothes, shoes, hairdryer, straighteners, massive washbag, books etc. I've never had it weigh more than 14kg.

If you can all take anything heavy in your hand luggage and reserve the hold case for light summer clothing plus washbags and sunscreen (because liquids can't go in hand luggage unless tiny bottles) I doubt you'll be in danger of going over the 20kg limit.

NicknameUsed Sat 21-Jan-17 10:08:27

I have no idea. It depends on what you pack. When we travel we tend to have a case each that weighs around 11 - 12 kilos when packed.

20kg is quite heavy, but I have to disagree with specialsubject about the "useless" wheels. The Lightest Suitcase wheels are brilliant and it is much easier wheeling the case along rather than carting heavy bags around. These cases really are light (and no, I don't work for them grin).

Check whether the resort gives out free towels at the pool as that is something you won't need to pack. Also you will probably be putting things like shampoo and other liquid toiletries in the case due to liquid restrictions in hand luggage, and it is this that will really add to the weight.

Louw12345 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:27:49

Ok we get 2 cases each 10kg hand and 20kg holdall my children are 14 12 7 7 and 5. So ideally I don't want 12 cases. I'm going for the 4 wheels as I know they are easier to handle and the younger ones will have fun pushing them and I know my eldest two will want their own bags to. I was going to have hand luggage each but then thinking when I get on the plane im going to have to get them all on. So now im Thinking maybe 3 hand luggage and 2 medium cases.

We all inclusive so we get towels
We can combine lauggue to 25kg

There are 6 of us going for 10 days we won't be wearing much clothes as we are going in july so all will be light clothes ie dresses swimming costumes sandles ect.

I know I will have more than enough laugge allowance for us all but really don't want that many

Thank you for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now