Talk

Advanced search

August Holiday with range of children

(15 Posts)
Cewafwb Fri 20-Jan-17 13:53:12

Hi there, we have spent two weeks of the last four Augusts renting different villas through owners direct in France and the last two have been trying to say the least. So - a change is needed but I have no idea where or what or how to start. Clearly sitting around a pool is not enough for the older two boys (this year 13 and 11) and driving around trying to find something to 'do' in a foreign country isn't great for younger two (9 and 5) or two very tired parents! So - I think, and correct me if I am wrong, that we need to move country and go to a beach with activities or a beach club or somewhere that does activities etc but I am open to all ideas and thoughts - PLEASE HELP!?! (first world problems and all that!).

Hersetta427 Fri 20-Jan-17 14:27:55

Would they like a water park - have a look at the splashworlds by first choice.

roseteapot101 Fri 20-Jan-17 14:43:49

costa dorada in spain has a nice water park

or uk holiday river dart country park has lots to do

roseteapot101 Fri 20-Jan-17 14:46:57

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g562814-d1951736-Reviews-PortAventura_Caribe_Aquatic_Park-Salou_Costa_Dorada_Province_of_Tarragona_Catalon.html

user1484918655 Fri 20-Jan-17 14:47:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cewafwb Fri 20-Jan-17 15:56:04

We go to Cornwall every year usually, but can't do it all, so were thinking of binning the UK holiday, and having a hot overseas one for two weeks.

Cewafwb Fri 20-Jan-17 15:56:45

Waterparks and lots of people is our idea of utter hell - sorry - should have said that!

Misty9 Fri 20-Jan-17 23:12:41

How about some of the Dutch versions of center parcs? I like the look of hof van saksen but there are lots I think.

bruffin Fri 20-Jan-17 23:15:49

Second the european centerparcs, kempervenen is ideal for both age groups, loads for them to do

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 20-Jan-17 23:23:57

Is it for this August? You might have left it a bit late to get exactly what you want.

In terms of villas in France, what facilities have you had before? We stayed in the Dordogne before in a a very small gite complex with shared pool, fab games room, field to play football, walking distance to village with restaurants, loads to do in area for kids: aquarium, crazy golf, prehistoric caves, fab canoeing etc. Small enough place to have space to yourself but with a couple of other gites to have company if you like a chat round the pool etc. Is called Le Banquet, in Les Eyzies if you want to google that . Was actually a recommendation by a few people on MN. But I think they're already pretty much booked up already for this August. We're going again then too.

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 20-Jan-17 23:29:15

I hate "loads of people" too. I think we'd hate the type of hotel that we could afford in August. We have tried the private villa with pool Thing too and it'/ nice but a week is long enough and flights are so expensive it seems a waste of a flight to only go for one, especially if you're self-catering.

We discovered at Le Banquet that our most relaxing holiday with our 2 kids (13 and 10) is somewhere that is not jammed packed full of other people, but not so deadly quiet that they get bored. We're definitely up for shared facilities like pool but would HATE to have to fight for a sunbed so I look at that very carefully when I look for holiday places. I'm very fussy and spend ages looking for wxactly what fits us as a family, with something to please everyone.

Brighteyes27 Fri 20-Jan-17 23:30:23

No advice watching with interest we usually book private let in a quieter part of Algarve me and DH like some relaxation time during the day previous hols DC's have met a few other kids their ages and have enjoyed lots of fun on lazy days playing hide & seek, ball games and playing various pool games they've devised themselves. But last year the few kids there were either very young or 16 onwards so our two tweens were bored and on a limb must of time. I wondered about a Eurocamp holiday but didn't want a hell on earth place pretty much like yourselves. Wonder how busy/hectic these places get and whether many English speaking kids whether they feel safe or whether parents unable to relax for fear of loosing kids something happening etc. Any recommendations?

bruffin Fri 20-Jan-17 23:33:06

I would say the last week of august in Netherlands in not school holidays so CPs are quieter.

yeOldeTrout Sat 21-Jan-17 16:29:07

There are loads of ancient history & sightseeing in places like Turkey or Bulgaria (also low prices & reliable weather).

chocolateworshipper Sat 21-Jan-17 18:03:24

Depends on how much you are looking to spend. Princess hotel in La Palma is a family favourite - reliable weather that doesn't get too hot, loads of pools, but kids clubs and loads of sporting activities too (without being "in your face" if you don't want to do them)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now