Talk

Advanced search

Be honest, is it really worth the hassle taking a 2yr old on a plane?

(42 Posts)
tubismybub Fri 23-Feb-07 23:22:24

Or should we just plump for a UK holiday again this year?

expatinscotland Fri 23-Feb-07 23:23:36

IMO, nope.

That's why we haven't left the UK since we had kids.

We holiday in the UK.

Has the added bonus that you can use the NHS if your children or you fall ill.

AND, I grew up in hot climates, slowly roasting and sweating to death.

I hate heat.

themildmanneredjanitor Fri 23-Feb-07 23:23:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

curiosity Fri 23-Feb-07 23:26:40

We've done it and it was never a problem. Stuck to 2/3 hour flights though at that age.

expatinscotland Fri 23-Feb-07 23:27:26

I'd have to take a tranquiliser.

If you're laid back, I'm sure it's fine.

I'm not.

So no go.

WAY too many beautiful places in the UK.

tubismybub Fri 23-Feb-07 23:29:39

DH is soooo not laid back in such situation and DS is an 'active' kinda chap. Could probably tolerate DS but not the stressy DH that will come with it

Jimjams2 Fri 23-Feb-07 23:32:06

I'm wth expat. But depends on the child. DS1 at 2 would have been a dreamboat (impossible now aged 7) ds2 would have been wonderful- still would be. DS3? I'd rather walk across nails. No thanks. He's be dreadful.

themildmanneredjanitor Fri 23-Feb-07 23:33:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

harpsichordcarrier Fri 23-Feb-07 23:33:23

nope. ferry though, possible?

expatinscotland Fri 23-Feb-07 23:34:23

Ferry was fine for us. But we're in Scotland and it was only 1.5 hours to Belfast from Stranear.

lostinfrance Fri 23-Feb-07 23:34:30

Message withdrawn

harpsichordcarrier Fri 23-Feb-07 23:35:44

I took the ferry when dd1 was 2 and a bit, it was fine but get a cabin

nearlyfourbob Fri 23-Feb-07 23:36:47

Went loads with ds when he was 2 he loved it - short flights though - max. 4 hours.

tubismybub Fri 23-Feb-07 23:38:12

No, it's ok Expat is right there are some beautiful places in the U.K and I have fond memories of all my childhood memories in Cornwall. Will see the next few years as an opportunity to discover my homeland a bit more
Maybe DS can trot off to GP's for a short break while me and DH hot foot it to the continent?!

tubismybub Fri 23-Feb-07 23:39:08

childhood holidays that should be

ScottishThistle Fri 23-Feb-07 23:40:42

Hi, really not that bad!

I've done loads of flying with children of all ages...10hr flight with a teething 5th old was the worst...Flight to Sydney with a 4yr old, was easy!

expatinscotland Fri 23-Feb-07 23:41:53

I'm a foreigner, so I don't see the appeal of holidays abroad when this island has so many lovely places.

tubismybub Fri 23-Feb-07 23:43:58

It's odd how we don't exploe our own countries isn't it? I feel like I know Australia like the back of my hand but in comparison have travelled very little in the UK. Think we use the weather as an excuse not to.

expatinscotland Fri 23-Feb-07 23:48:44

IME, the weather here is getting warmer every year.

And let's face it, unless you're planning to holiday in Egypt, rain happens everywhere.

Plus, you don't have to get any vaccines to holiday here.

And, as my father - a man who had to travel to many places for work - always says, 'Why the hell would ANYONE want to take a vacation in a place where loads of people are trying to get out?'

luckylady74 Fri 23-Feb-07 23:59:08

have travelled with all 3 and ds1 has sn - to be honest if they can cope with a car journey of length then i don't see the difference, but i do agree holidays in uk lovely. if there's 2 adults it's ok - 1 to do anything official and 1 to chase escapees.
i think preparation's key - talk about it loads, take loads of food and small toys/books and most importantly the attitude` that got me through my 2nd labour and the neverending poo on the crete flight- it will end at some point! and the sunshine does make it worthwhile - it's been grey for months now.go on think about about how much better food and wine taste in the sun, think about countries that love children and warm sea!

Jimjams2 Sat 24-Feb-07 11:09:59

Depends on the SN luckylady. DS1 doesn't understand about queing or sitting still so flying is out. No amount of preparation is going to help with the way he behaves in strange places. He udnerstands about sitting in the car but he freaks if the car stops. So sitting still waiting for a plane to take off just isn't going to happen. If you try and force him to sleep you get a full blown screaming attack- and that's not tolerated in toddlers let alone 7 year olds.

The last ferry trip we took (to Belfast) was exactly that- the last, and that was before ds3 was born. The trip over we took took a slow ferry and had a cabin. DS2 stayed in the cabin with one of us and the other person had to walk round and round and round the ferry with ds1. It was OK, although tedious. The problem was it was a 16 hour drive to the ferry and from the ferry at the other end and staying in a hotel was a disaster (ds1 wouldn't sleep, and waqs screaming and clawing at the door to get out- after an 8 hour drive that day dh had to drive round north wales for 2 hours to calm him down- we almost turned around and went home at that point).

On the way back we took a fast ferry so we could do the 16 hour car trip and not have to stay anywhere and it was a disaster. No cabin at all, and ds1 spent the whole time trying to get into the gift shop through the exit, and look under toilet doors. He didn't seem to even notice that the ferry was moving. DH went green (as did ds2 luckily) and I stumbled round 6 months pregnant trying to stop ds1 sniffing and pinching people. With ds3 as well it would be completely impossible. We drove off the ferry and dh rang his mum and said there was no way we could come again. until some sort of miracle happened.

The Stranraer big fast ferries are better, but no way we can do the trip in one day and we can't stay anywhere like a hotel.

Just under 3 years later he's even less manageable in that sort of situation I think.

Mind you we don't take ds1 on UK holidays either.

Ladymuck Sat 24-Feb-07 11:12:23

Well our fmaily is in ireland and we have had a fmaily holdiay in Greece each year so the dcs have been one at least 4 return flights a year since birth, though this is the first year that we're doing a 10 hour flight (dcs will be 6 and nearly 4)

3sEnough Sat 24-Feb-07 11:14:27

Hi - I felt the same for a long time but after a short (2 hr flight) with ds 3 and dd1 8m went on a 7 hr flight with ds 4 and dd1 21m. It was great and my ds still remembers that holiday, although on the way back my dd1 started a D&V bug in the airport lounge and threw up on me at take off......I smelt foul but she then slept for the entire flight so perhaps it was a blessing in disguise! We are doing the 2 hr flight again in 4 weeks but this time with a 6,4 and 2 yr old - could be fun!

lovelymoo Sat 24-Feb-07 11:58:24

I've been on loads of flights with my kids ( 3 and 1) at least twice a year no probs at all you just have to organised on the flight. It also depends who you fly with as airlines differ in what they offer for kids.

totaleclipse Sat 24-Feb-07 12:00:45

Its not that bad at all, better than travelling in a car, at least seat belts can be removed and the kids can eat and have a table in front to draw on etc, We flew last year with 2 yr old twins and they were as good as gold.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: