Talk

Advanced search

holiday booked/starting school

(17 Posts)
mrsgendry Thu 19-Jan-17 16:31:16

Hi all, wondering if anyone can shine a light on this for me!

I booked a Butlins break (sun holiday so I did get a head of myself and rush); it's a 'just for tots' the first week of September - went last year and my son loved it so thought it was perfect as it's right after his bday too.

Only just clicked this morning that he is due to start school the 5th (we go on the 4th for 5 days). Now, I know it's the jurisdiction of the school re. holidays during term time, but I don't even know what school we've been rewarded until April.

Has anyone else been on holiday for what should be their child's first day of school? I know it's important but as it's a particular event they don't let you exchange dates except for other just for tots weeks. I will look into changing it if possible to June/giving it my brother (begrudgingly) but I've heard they're quite difficult to re-arrange with and I don't know where I stand with booking it through a 3rd party?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LIZS Thu 19-Jan-17 16:35:05

I wouldn't worry. by the time you've factored in inset days and a phased introduction he won't miss much if anything.

minipie Thu 19-Jan-17 16:46:17

I would call the likely schools and check what would be his actual start date (taking into account phased intro and inset etc).

If his actual start date is the 5th then I would try to move to June. It may not be possible but worth a try.

He'd be missing the first 4 days which is quite a big deal for a 4 year old.

Also the "just for tots" week is likely to be full of nursery school age kids so he may not enjoy it as much as last year.

Sorry...

3boys3dogshelp Thu 19-Jan-17 16:51:51

Schools don't normally allow any holiday in term time now unless there are exceptional circumstances. Even when they did September is likely to be refused as there is such a lot going on. I think you need to change dates or give it away sorry.

TurkeyDinosaurs Thu 19-Jan-17 16:57:51

But they do miss out especially if they are new to the school. Theyll miss all the induction stuff and he'll feel on the back foot when he does go back. I'm a teacher but I don't disagree with taking children out of term time in a few case where it's be just as educational to go on holiday. I wouldn't take mine out at the star of year 7, at the end if year 10 or all of year 11.

TurkeyDinosaurs Thu 19-Jan-17 16:58:44

Sorry about the typos, new phone.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 19-Jan-17 17:02:14

I'm pretty easy going but no way would I have my child miss the first four days of school - especially the first four days EVER. It's important.

Cancel or rearrange the holiday. How could you not know that he would be in school in the first week of September confused

smilingsarahb Thu 19-Jan-17 17:05:04

I'd check when he actually starts as a lot of schools do home visits during the first week back, so school doesn't starts until a week later for reception. Depends on the school. It probably won't make any difference in the long run, but the teachers put quite a lot of effort in to the first few days to help the children settle. Luke learning the routines and where things are, they might even stagger times etc so the teachers can get to know the children a bit better before there is a full class. So do check how the school you get does things as you might decide they are important to you or not.

Ilovewillow Thu 19-Jan-17 17:11:36

I wouldn't let my child miss their first day at school, it's such an important day for them. However, don't panic just yet when my daughter started, the reception children started later than the other so she didn't actually go until the 8th if my memory is correct. You might not miss anything or you could come home early!

morningafterglow Thu 19-Jan-17 17:40:19

I can't believe you forgot your DC is starting school! That said, depending on the school you might get away with it due to the staggered start. Also worth noting that, unless your DC is already turned 5 at start of Sept, then I don't think you can be fined as they aren't compulsory school age until the term after they turn 5.

I wouldn't do it though, not cos of the rules and I would consider term time hols for other reasons, but not that he first week for my DC's sake.

SooDeNimm Thu 19-Jan-17 17:51:24

I wouldn't miss the first four days. He'll miss all the introduction stuff; this is what we'll do, this is where to go etc. It would leave him behind the others for the first few days and also it would be extra work for the staff to get him up to speed.

It's a big deal starting school, is want my child to have the best chance going for settling in well.

mrsgendry Thu 19-Jan-17 18:16:06

Thanks all - it just never factored in that day's would overlap and I didn't think about it, booked it on a 5 min break when I saw that date and location were available! He'll be 4 in August (and the just for tots is a lot more than nursery aged activities, he could and would do whatever he did last year bar the CBeebies stuff) but the staggered start is a possibility.
Shall enquire about the June dates instead!

minipie Thu 19-Jan-17 18:20:02

If he's so young in his year, that's another reason for him not to miss the first days of school.

Do check with the school before you rearrange though, as a pp said it's possible Reception don't start till later.

Frazzled2207 Thu 19-Jan-17 18:23:20

My son is also 4 in august. I wouldn't want him missing the first few days but I know that for the school he will hopefully go to they do a phased induction and the youngest don't start until the 2nd or even 3rd week.

Pringle2628 Thu 19-Jan-17 18:31:03

I highly doubt they will start until the Thursday or Friday or possibly the following Monday, my sons started September and I'm sure he started the following Monday as the teachers did all the home visits on the first week back x

mrsgendry Thu 19-Jan-17 19:16:23

Will check the schools, I definitely don't want him missing out I'm just gutted my common sense prevailed again! hmm Just looked and can't change the dates, will look into changing the details or get my SIL to pretend to be me....

mrsgendry Fri 20-Jan-17 14:24:11

Crisis averted! Luckily managed to change my dates grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now