Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any Japan experts around? please?

(12 Posts)
Chandra Fri 23-Feb-07 14:12:36

I have noticed that all Japanese business visitors I have met, always brought a little gift to the person they were to meet. This gifts were normally very japanese in escence rather than generalities.

As a European person doing a business trip to Japan, are you expected (as in a polite gesture) to bring any gifts?, if so... what would be an apropiate gift from the UK? do you have to get something for every person you are going to see or, one for all the department is OK?

Now, this is not the best time to ask as said person is travelling tomorrow and has just realised that chocolates are not a good option... and aparently, whisky bottles are not "in"

mateychops Fri 23-Feb-07 14:17:56

If you are travelling, and someone is hosting the visit or has been heavily involved in it, then yes, you should take a present. Not overly expensive, but with a link to your country or company.

I would say that goes for most countries, not just Japan.

Carmenere Fri 23-Feb-07 14:19:04

We have a Japanese guest stay atm and he brought two t-shirts and some tea as well as a dinky little flower arrangement thingy(his wife's handi-work I assume)

It really depends on how much you want to spend. a box of sweets or shortbread from the Harrods outlet at the airport would be fine. And lots of Japanese do like whisky or a bottle of good French wine might be appreciated.

mytwocents Fri 23-Feb-07 14:32:34

I've lived in Japan and yes you should give something. A box of biscuits would be appropriate or candied sweets, anything british would be cosidered thoughtful.
Don't be suprised if they take it and put it somewhere without acknowledging it much, tradition often denotes that the gifts are opened later with no big display of gratitude at the time. You're more likely to receive something the next time you see them as a thank-you.The thing I noticed with alot of the gifts was they were often fancy packaging with very little actually in there.........
As always in Nippon, bow, if in doubt bow, if the person is older than you, let them bow more.........
Have fun, Japan's great! Subarashi des!!

mytwocents Fri 23-Feb-07 14:34:02

One for all the department is prob fine, esp if you're meeting lots.

mytwocents Fri 23-Feb-07 14:35:50

Sorry- keep remembering stuff. I learnt thet alcohol is not appropriate as a gift for someone you're meeting for the first time - almost like calling them an alcy!!

Chandra Fri 23-Feb-07 15:37:30

Thank you,

Do gifts have to be beautifully wrapped (starts panic about what to use to do it, when I have visits arriving in 2 hours and dinner to prepare...)

Chandra Fri 23-Feb-07 15:40:08

Mytwocents, how inaporpiate a bottle of whisky is? DH is meeting a reseller and there is one person who he has been in quite a lot of contact in the last year and who will travel with him to other meetings in the Country. Would it be OK in this case? they have never meet in person before but have spent hours on the phone/internet.

Chandra Fri 23-Feb-07 15:50:55

bump

Carmenere Fri 23-Feb-07 18:06:48

I think whisky is fine if your dh has spoken lots to this man and knows he likes whisky. I think that the Japanese people know that we have different ettiquet(sp?) to them and make allowances thus.

Califrau Fri 23-Feb-07 18:11:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chandra Sat 24-Feb-07 12:42:04

Thank you, he has left today with a bottle of whisky and shortbread boxes today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now