Talk

Advanced search

Come and tell me all about Berlin...

(6 Posts)
ricecrispies16 Sun 15-Jan-17 14:52:06

Going on a weekend break to Berlin in July and I can't wait. I've booked flights and I'm just looking at hotels.... thinking Mitte?

If you've been, where did you stay and what did you do?

WritingHome Thu 19-Jan-17 17:20:49

We were there in October for 3 nights, stayed in Charlottenburg. We had dd who was 10 at the time and none of us had been to Berlin before so we were happy to do the main 'tourist' things - see the Brandenburger Tor, Reichstag, Under den Linten, the ritter sport chocolate shop, Ka De We Department Store (worth getting a coffee and fancy cake there!) we were staying very close to the zoo so had a morning there.

We went to see the East Side Gallery - one of the only remaining parts of the wall which is covered in graffitti.

The holocost memorial near Brandenburg.

There is LOADS to see and do, we just saw the tip of the iceberg really.

Breward Thu 19-Jan-17 19:14:34

If you search 'Berlin' in the search bar at the top of the page there are lots of great threads with tips about Berlin hotels and things to do. I have been twice in the last two years and received and posted lots of info.

Top tip: Book the Reichstag a month or so before you go. It is free but you need to book.

MrsJW15 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:51:28

We went a couple of months ago and stayed in Mitte. Very convenient for transport, restaurants etc. This was the hotel - rooms weren't huge, but it was a lovely place monbijouhotel.com/en/

Booking the Reichstag is a good plan. Lots of great museums, the Topography of Terror is good, and I thought the museum under the Holocaust memorial was particularly well done. It's a lovely place to walk around as well.

Janek Sat 21-Jan-17 20:25:17

It might be very, very hot in July. It was when we went in 2013. You could go to one of the lakes/rivers in the suburbs - very refreshing.

And you will need your passport with you to get in to the Reichstag!

GandolfBold Sun 22-Jan-17 15:49:22

We went last year and also stayed in Charlottenburg. Was a great place to stay, close to public transport and the Zoo, plus loads of lovely restaurants in the area.

Berlin was great an we did so much, many of the things listed above, but we also did Checkpoint Charlie, climbed the Grosser Stern (not for the faint hearted) and visited the National History Museum.

The kids had an amazing time, loved it so much they still talk about it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now