Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mull

(28 Posts)
GandolfBold Sun 15-Jan-17 10:18:33

So I have booked us a week in a gorgeous cottage in Mull in August.

Any things we must do? We want to go whale watching (that is the reason we are going), but are a bit clueless about anything else.

pomadas87 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:53:30

Mull is beautiful, you'll have a wonderful week! Book a table (well in advance) at Cafe Fish in Tobermory. If you're lucky with the weather you can sit outside at the waters edge eating the freshest seafood - heaven! Lovely pubs along Tobermory harbour too.
Day trips to Iona and Staffa too! If you're taking or hiring a car you can do lots of exploring

Stillnoidea Sun 22-Jan-17 21:56:01

Biscuit eating! Although you don't have to go to mull to get Island Bakery biscuits.

OllyBJolly Sun 22-Jan-17 21:57:44

This is fab, too ballygownmull.co.uk/ and pick up some meals from here www.oldpostofficelochbuie.co.uk/our-food/

Day trip to Iona, day at the beach at Calgary, ferry to Kilchoan and a tour of the lighthouse.

wannabestressfree Sun 22-Jan-17 22:02:00

So jealous.....

weegiemum Sun 22-Jan-17 22:03:22

Definitely Iona.

Boat trip to Staffa great too.

MrsMoastyToasty Sun 22-Jan-17 22:09:33

Get pished in the Mish Nish Hotel. They often have live music too.

Northernlurker Sun 22-Jan-17 22:11:50

Put it this way- we've spent 15 years holidaying on Mull. There is loads to do.

Are you north or south?

I would recommend a trip over to ulva. Two minute ferry trip and it's not like anywhere else really, how old are your dcs?

SealSong Sun 22-Jan-17 22:36:58

Do you like seafood? If so, you must go and have a meal at Cafe Fish, in the old harbour building in Tobermory....ring and book first, it's very popular (and rightly so).
Calgary beach is lovely, and also Uisken beach is gorgeous
Day trip to Iona....hire bikes and explore the island (you can hire on Iona)
Duart castle is worth an explore.
Pony trekking at Killiechronan
Have a look at what's on at the An Tobar arts centre in Tobermory, it's a great little place (nice cafe too)
Go to the Isle of Mumm aquarium.
If you're going whale watching, book with sea life surveys, they are the best

SealSong Sun 22-Jan-17 22:38:40

Hah, not isle of Mumm, obvs

celtiethree Sun 22-Jan-17 22:39:54

Definitely go to Staffa

SealSong Sun 22-Jan-17 22:41:44

Not forgetting the wonderful Ardalanish beach, also.

MrsMoastyToasty Sun 22-Jan-17 23:39:07

For mountaineering there's Ben More
Wildlife spotting -golden eagles, otters,seals,minke whales.
Tobermory distillery.

I would recommend filling your petrol tank up in Fort William (morrisons) or Oban. There is a co-op in Tobermory but it's tiny.we usually pop into Tesco in Oban and do a big shop.
The cinema arrives on the back of a lorry. Honestly.
The locals aren't crazy. ..except my BIL.

gincamelbak Sun 22-Jan-17 23:46:37

Go to Fionnphort and get the ferry to Iona. Then walk up towards the abbey, and after a look there, keep walking along the path away from the abbey and you'll eventually get to a more secluded but beautiful beach. Gorgeous.

If the silver fish van is still in Tobermory then get fish and chips from there. I had King Scallops too - divine.

There's also a pub halfway between Calgary bay and Tobermory that does food. I can't remember the name (sorry!) But we had the best venison stew ever there.

Calgary bay is beautiful.

I love Mull.

fuckweasel Mon 23-Jan-17 00:00:19

There's also a pub halfway between Calgary bay and Tobermory that does food. I can't remember the name (sorry!) But we had the best venison stew ever there

Am Birlinn is the place.

gincamelbak Mon 23-Jan-17 00:18:24

Thank you fuckweasel - I'd have gone mad trying to remember it. We only k w it as The Venison Stew Place!

Northernlurker Mon 23-Jan-17 07:50:58

Am Birlinn is a restaurant not a pub. Sure you don't mean the Bellachroy in Dervaig?

ErrolTheDragon Mon 23-Jan-17 08:11:45

We stayed at the Bellachroy two years running, it was very nice. Agree with all the recommendations so far esp 'book with sea life surveys, they are the best'. Also worth considering (depending on the age and enthusiasm of any kids, ours was a mid-teen) one of the tours with a wildlife expert who knows exactly where to go for a good chance of seeing eagles, otters etc - then you can go back yourself later. We went with a delightful chap called Arthur who is Discover Mull but there are others. He, and the whalewatch, had binoculars to borrow but it's best to take your own if you have them for when you're sat by a loch and a little head pops up.

Not sure whether there's midges in August btw (we went in May when it was fine)

gincamelbak Mon 23-Jan-17 09:17:22

Hmmmm... Dervaig sounds familiar northernlurker ! It was about 7 years ago now and my memory is hazy confused

123yipee Mon 23-Jan-17 19:49:03

There is an eagle walk you can do with a park ranger and if you're lucky you get to see white tailed eagles.

If you like whiskey, the Tobermory distillate is great.

OllyBJolly Tue 24-Jan-17 07:29:40

Which part of the island are you going to? The roads aren't great so it's worth bearing in mind that travel times are longer than you might expect.

Love Mull- magical place

LamppostInWinter Tue 24-Jan-17 07:56:08

Gosh we go to Mull all the time - several times a year!

I agree with recommendations for sea life surveys, pricey but worth it. For wildlife tours we've always gone with Peter Hall who is Mull Wildlife tours. I've never gone home without seeing a sea eagle after a day with Peter!

Also highly recommend a trip with Turus Mara out to Staffa and the Treshnish Isles. If you're fairly mobile you can walk into Fingals Cave on Staffa and climb up to see the puffins on Lunga if they're still around then. It's wonderful.

One I've never done but heard great things about is a company called Sea Eagle Boat Trips in Salen. I think it's called that, could be wrong. He has a sign up on the main road through Salen anyway. He chucks fish out of the boat near nesting grounds and the eagles dive very close to the boat to get them.

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 24-Jan-17 08:01:27

I'd love to go to Mull as it looks beautiful.

Regarding food: is it mostly just seafood/meat on offer in restaurant/cafés? I think I know the answer to the question already, but hope springs eternal and all that grin

Ginmakesitallok Tue 24-Jan-17 08:05:06

Mull is lovely - but my god the midgies!

ErrolTheDragon Tue 24-Jan-17 08:21:47

YY to the boat trip to Staffa and Lunga though tbh I would think the puffins will be out to sea by August. You'll almost undoubtedly want to return to Mull though, so if you're there about May (not sure how long before and after) it's fabulous.I'd no idea you could get so close to loads of puffins going about their own business, but it seems as though people just serve as mobile scarecrows or rather scare-BlackBackedGulls for them, and they're not bothered by someone quietly lying on the grass eyeballing them.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now