Talk

Advanced search

Hurghada Egypt - insanity??

(48 Posts)
summerholsdreamin Sun 15-Jan-17 09:42:30

Desperate for some sun over Feb half term, without paying silly prices. A few people have recommended Hurghada in Egypt. I've looked into it: yes it's Egypt, no it's not near Sharm, yes it's had historic security problems, yet TripAdvisor now has glowing reports and visitors say it feels a very safe and beautiful place to be.

Would love to go but is it lunacy especially with kids?

Northernlurker Sun 15-Jan-17 09:46:09

I wouldn't even consider it.

user1483387154 Sun 15-Jan-17 09:48:21

we did sharm el sheikh in October it was fantastic (return visit for us) still quite a few tourists as other countries still flying there.
Like you I have heard good things about Hurghada, and yes I would go if we currently had the money!

4yoniD Sun 15-Jan-17 09:49:30

What is the U.K. government advice?

4yoniD Sun 15-Jan-17 09:53:07

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Think it says Hurghada is ok but they don't advise flying to Sharm. Do have a read though, I skimmed it.

MoreThanUs Sun 15-Jan-17 09:55:34

Depends how 'desperate' for sun you are. It's only a few months until spring.

Foldedtshirt Sun 15-Jan-17 09:57:57

We're just back from Marsa Alam- very remote, 5 minute transfer to resort, didn't go out once in the resort. Felt very safe.

fakenamefornow Sun 15-Jan-17 09:58:09

Thanks for posting this op. I'd really love to take my children to Egypt, along the Nile and to Cairo to see the history rather than a beach holiday. I just think it's too unsafe though, I'd be interested in what others think. My children are older primary school age.

MoreThanUs Sun 15-Jan-17 10:00:03

Sorry - part of post missing!

I wouldn't risk it myself as seems unnecessary - I'd rather pay more to go further or stay at home and embrace the great British climate with all its seasons! Snow drops will be up soon!

summerholsdreamin Sun 15-Jan-17 10:10:21

The FCO says that Hurghada isn't included in the "all but essential travel" areas, however "There is s high threat from terrorism from Egypt" confused

DH not been well hence the need for some decent sun.

GrainOfSalt Sun 15-Jan-17 10:14:56

fakenamefornow I wouldn't for now, I think it is too volatile. I was caught up in an attack in Egypt about 10 years ago, they didn't have the infrastructure to cope then and I think it is worse now - it was bloody and terrifying. That being said I would love to go back and want to do the same as you with DS - I am waiting until things calm down and he is older.

exLtEveDallas Sun 15-Jan-17 10:15:39

We have been to Hughada for the last 3 summers, and have just returned from a Xmas holiday in Makadi Bay (about 20 mins from Hurghada).

It's absolutely fine. We went out in the daytime and evening, no worries, no hassle, no trouble.

Hurghada is a lovely place. Less 'blingy' than Sharm - a little more 'real' we think. They aren't getting a huge amount of tourism at present - used to be lots of Russians but now the only ones there have travelled to Germany and then to Hurghada. The Dutch and Germans still travel, and the Brits are on their way back.

Easter is a great time to go, not too hot to do anything (we struggle when we go in August). Lots of trips I could recommend. There are a number of FB groups for hotels as well if you have a look.

GrainOfSalt Sun 15-Jan-17 10:17:22

summerholsdreaming - same as I said above to fakenamefornow I wouldn't at the moment. Have you thought of Morocco? Sunny, hot and far less volatile politically - cheap as chips to get there too smile

exLtEveDallas Sun 15-Jan-17 10:17:38

Oh sorry, you said Feb not Easter. In Dec the daily temps were 20-25, evenings were 10-15.

summerholsdreamin Sun 15-Jan-17 10:18:18

Aaargh, properly conflicted now!! Head says leave it, heart says go for it! Only for a week, what are the chances of trouble especially out of main tourist season.

exLtEveDallas Sun 15-Jan-17 10:20:47

Where are you thinking of staying? I can prob give you an idea of the security if it's a hotel I know.

exLtEveDallas Sun 15-Jan-17 10:22:13

The new airport has fantastic security. We must have gone through 10 bloody checks to get in and out. We complained at the time of course, but actually it was pretty shit hot.

summerholsdreamin Sun 15-Jan-17 10:24:06

We are pretty open minded Dallas..... Can you recommend any good for families and with decent security should it be needed?

HeCantBeSerious Sun 15-Jan-17 10:25:39

DH went last July. He didn't suffer any ill effects.

summerholsdreamin Sun 15-Jan-17 10:26:27

If you could recommend any safe family hotels Dallas that would be great smile

summerholsdreamin Sun 15-Jan-17 10:26:55

Sorry, double posted

NewIdeasToday Sun 15-Jan-17 10:27:43

I feel that we should all continue with our lives as much as possible and not let the threat of terrorism stop us - as that way the terrorists win. However there is no way on earth I'd go to Egypt right now. Not since that plane got blown out the sky. Just not worth the risk.

exLtEveDallas Sun 15-Jan-17 10:33:52

What ages, and do you want water parks etc?

We've been to the Jungle Aqua Park in Hurghada. Lovely place, huge rooms, lots of pools (3 heated), water park, kids areas etc. 7 restaurants but Foods not great and it's starting to get a little 'tired' now. Very safe - security guards on site 24/7 but the water park is open to day visitors.

Jaz Makadi Aquaviva - very new, lovely clean and shiny. Smaller than JAP. 2 heated pools, good rooms, one buffet restaurant and 2 al la carte. Better food. Completely gated site. Hotel bus to the beach which is surrounded by other hotels, like a mini estate.

Jaz Aquamarine in Hurghada. Very large complex, on the beach, 2 mini water parks, heated pools. Smaller rooms than the other two but well done. 3 restaurants. Lovely grounds.

Jaz and Picalbatros are the main hotel chains, both very good.

exLtEveDallas Sun 15-Jan-17 10:34:47

(We've been to a couple of others but they aren't as kid friendly)

summerholsdreamin Sun 15-Jan-17 10:49:39

They're 12 and 9 so need plenty of activities. Is it safe to venture out of hotel for beaches/town etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now