Talk

Advanced search

Kefalonia or Skiathos

(12 Posts)
user1475317873 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:52:31

Trying to decide between these to Greek Islands to visit in August with DH and 2 children under 10.

We like nice sandy, crystal crear water beaches but also like to do other outings like to visit some towns, ports, historical places, tours to other Islans. We will rent a car to explore and discover the island. We are planning to stay 10 to 12 nights and could probably do 2 islands.

Which Island will you choose?

Also, any recomendatitoons for places to stay; it needs to have a pool; self catering or resort is fine. We could do 5 nights in a resort and 7 days in a self-contained apartment.

Thank you

OnyK Sat 14-Jan-17 18:28:00

Both islands are lovely.
Skiathos is really easy to get around as there's basically one main road across the island. You could combine it with a short stay on the smaller island of Skopolos (or do a day trip from Skiathos town).

user1475317873 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:10:16

Thank you very much

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sat 14-Jan-17 21:27:06

We have been to Kefalonia several times now: it's my favourite holiday destination. It has beautiful beaches and crystal clear waters, with lots of lovely places to visit. You can travel to Ithaca and Zakynthos as well. I have memories of sitting on the edge of the harbour in Argostoli watching the turtles swim round the moored fishing boats.

We love staying here. Lassi itself is a bit of a tourist strip but it is by beautiful beaches, and the San Lorenzo Village is up the hill above the resort so away from any road noise, etc.

lifeisazebracrossing Sat 14-Jan-17 21:45:41

Kefalonia is amazing...dragorati caves, Mellisani lake, Scala for cocktails, Assos for a day out... it's a dream!

5BlueHydrangea Sat 14-Jan-17 21:48:57

Have been to Kephalonia. Absolutely beautiful. Lots to explore. But really hot in August! Was about 40 c when we went in August. Stupidly didn't realise it would be that hot and none of us are heat lovers. We hired a car and explored a lot, and even experienced a small earthquake which was rather alarming!

aintnobodygottimefodat Sat 14-Jan-17 22:00:52

Another vote for Kefalonia, my absolute favourite holiday destination. Stunning island!

user1475317873 Sun 15-Jan-17 11:52:22

Thank you

Tickets booked to Kefalonia for nearly weeks. Thinking of staying 8 nights in Kefalonia and 5 nights in Lefkada. Is that a good idea?. Does Lefkada worth a visit or is there plenty to do in Kefalonia for the 2 weeks. We are flying to Kefalonia and returning from Kefalonia

We are reting a car and will also get a ferry for the day to Ithaca and Zakynthos.

Any suggestions of acommodation will be greatly appreciated. Thinking of self contained with a swimming pool but we could also do a resort for a few days as the kids like it.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 15-Jan-17 15:16:17

There is plenty to do in Kefalonia if you like interspersing days out with lazy beach days. We have been to Lefkada and Zakynthos for holidays and to be honest, I would prefer to spend five days on Zakynthos - a fun waterpark, a great day on the water visiting the blue caves, a beautiful beach on a protected bay (so no power boats, etc allowed) where the turtles nest and hatch. Just avoid Laganas though: it's a clubbing mecca and as grim as you'd expect as a result. Lefkada was nice enough but I would go back to the other islands for preference.

The accommodation I linked above is our favourite place - not a resort but not quite self-contained either. Many years ago, we stayed here, also in Lassi, but I can't vouch for what they'd be like now...

On Zakynthos we stayed in the Rizolia Villas here but they are a bit inland and there's nothing much around them, although they themselves are gorgeous. You'd need a car.

In Lefkada we stayed here - up on the hillside and again, you'd need a car, but the views are gorgeous and it's a short drive away from a busy little beachside town with lots of places to eat, rent boats and so on.

We don't do big hotels because I really hate those kinds of holidays - I'm weird about noise! - so can't help there.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 15-Jan-17 15:19:02

You must go to the underground lake in Kefalonia, btw.

KatieScarlett Sun 15-Jan-17 15:23:07

I'm going to Kefalonia in June, booked a villa and car for a fortnight, so thanks for the tips.

user1475317873 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:01:22

Thank you TheOnly. We were also thinking of Zakynthos instead of Lefkada but read some reviews in trip advisor which said Lefkada was better and lot of people were dissapointed about Zakynthos; perhaps they visited the very turistic/party part of the island. I really don't know, will research it a bit better before we book acommodation.

I will look at the places you recommended for acommodation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now