Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Itinerary.... Or no itinerary... That is the question!

(11 Posts)
TheUpsideDown Tue 10-Jan-17 21:21:37

When you go on holiday do you pre-plan and make an itinerary of days out, activities, excursions etc BEFORE you actually go on holiday? Or do you make an itinerary when you ARRIVE on holiday? Or do you plan absolutely NO ITINERARY and just decide each day as it comes as to what you'll do?

We're going on hol for a week to France in June (outdoorsy style, campsite by a big lake, lots of outdoorsy activities and sightseeing). Its been a while since we had a hol (8 yrs) and it'll be our DS's (4) first proper hol. I want us to make the absolute most of the week, so I'm wondering if I should plan an itinerary of activities, places to visit, and so on, so it gives the family the motivation to get up and get going, instead oif lounging in bed until lunchtime because theres nothing actually planned (which is what teen stepson, FIL and DH are likely to do!). BUT I obviously want it to be fun and enjoyable - the whole point of the hol - and not regimented by rigorous organisation!

Tell me what you and your family do please smile

ChippyMinton Tue 10-Jan-17 21:33:38

I plan, then get there and ignore the plan, because it's a holiday smile

ceeveebee Tue 10-Jan-17 21:35:07

I research places to go and will sometimes make the odd plan e.g. If there is something that is on a specific day but otherwise will just decide when/if to visit them when e get there

LittleBoat Tue 10-Jan-17 21:38:34

I plan optional activities before we go, just in case.

It would be a bit rubbish to find out you'd missed the best something or other because you didn't know it was there, or hadn't checked opening times or whatever.

Also, I like to have the right equipment already with me as I do not shop on holidays - e.g. beach shoes for stony beach.

Hassled Tue 10-Jan-17 21:39:50

I think it has to be a bit of both - we tend to identify the "absolutely have to do" things, and agree a rough schedule but there does need to be time for just lolling around in the sun for those who need it. It can be a really tricky balance - we holiday with one family member who wants to spend every waking minute hiking around ruins in the heat, and then one who wants to spend every minute on a sunlounger. Most of us are somewhere in the middle.

venusinscorpio Tue 10-Jan-17 21:40:30

I'm with Chippy. I spend ages planning because I enjoy it. Then generally change my plans when I get there!

NicknameUsed Tue 10-Jan-17 21:46:52

"I research places to go and will sometimes make the odd plan e.g. If there is something that is on a specific day but otherwise will just decide when/if to visit them when e get there"

This ^^

When I was planning our Disney holiday to Florida last year I hated the idea of pre-booking everything. In the end we didn't book anything, and just took each day as it came. We did the fast passes when we arrived at the parks, and I use the DIBB guide for avoiding the busiest days at each park. It worked out really well.

ChippyMinton Tue 10-Jan-17 22:37:28

Funnily enough I spent today booking fastpasses and dinner reservations for Orlando, and I know we will cancel most of them once we are there and just go with the flow. It's meant to be a once in a lifetime trip but...it will still be there if we ever want to save up and go again, so no need to rush around smile

BarbaraofSeville Wed 11-Jan-17 09:59:49

I usually have a list of activities/attractions that are must dos and some optional ones too, but almost never book anything in advance unless that is the only way you would get to do that particular thing. Then we can just decide day to day.

Of course it means that we sometimes miss out to the more organised people who do plan things weeks/months in advance - eg we have been to Tenerife 3 times but never got right to the Volcano summit because you need a pass and they've always been fully booked when we sit there saying 'do you fancy going up the volcano tomorrow?' and there was the time where we did have a pass but when we got there, the chairlift was closed due to high winds.

TheUpsideDown Wed 11-Jan-17 13:34:58

Thanks guys, really helpful advice.

I think I'll research things to do, places to go, costs, any equipment/attire required etc but NOT actually pre-book or plan these for specific days. We can have the info at hand and make decisions as a family when we get there.

I'm the active type who wants to be off doing things all the time, and so is MIL. DH is easy and laid back and tends to just go with the majority - happy to do nothing and happy to be active. Stepson can be lazy and not want to do much unless it REALLY interests him. DS has enough energy in one small 4 yr old body to power a fully grown man for a week, so I need to keep him stimulated and active. FIL is very lazy and likes to do very little except drink, eat and occasionally have a dip in the pool. It's difficult to please everyone all at the same time.

But if I have it all researched we can all have the option to do activities if we want, and those that don't fancy it can opt to stay sunning themselves on a lounger if they like. Sounds fair.

Thanks x

rookiemere Wed 11-Jan-17 19:32:36

I like to research what's available in the area - I generally buy one of those Top 10 guide books and highlight a couple of must dos and a few maybes.

But I'll keep plans very fluid unless it's necessary to pre-book a slot in advance. If it's a UK holiday I tend to have a few rainy and non rainy day options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now