Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice please re making up milk feeds with bottled water abroad

(23 Posts)
prawnsmum Thu 22-Feb-07 13:23:16

Hi there sorry if this has been asked a million times before but im new!!
Going to majorca with son when he will be 9 months old. Doctor and HV have both said buy evian water to make feeds due to low mineral content doctor said don't boil it and HV sad do!!!! Who do I trust????

Nip Thu 22-Feb-07 13:24:47

I went to Majorca with my DS last year (he was 24wks at the time) - we just boiled the bottled water that we bought. Its not evian, but just the bog standard stuff (aparantly evian etc has chemicals or somethign that babies shouldnt have)

HTH

Nip Thu 22-Feb-07 13:25:49

Sorry that hardly makes sense! LOL

When you are there you will see in shops large plastic bottles of water - these are the ones we used!

(Sorry bad typing day!)

prawnsmum Thu 22-Feb-07 13:29:00

Thanks- I just worry about givng him an upset stomach!!!

Nip Thu 22-Feb-07 13:30:56

My DS was fine, and such a tiny thing looking back (i think i was quite brave going for a week to majorca on my own!!!) - i'm sure your lo will be too

We used a microwave sterilizer too (which looked really yukky) - but he was aboslutely fine.

Are you taking a car seat with you or do you have one sorted over there?

prawnsmum Thu 22-Feb-07 13:41:29

Oh my goodness Very brave to go on your own!!!! Im taking his gran and grandad with us, its not until May and i'm getting stressed out already!!!! We're gong with Thomsons Superfamily so I've hired the sterilizing equipment from them-hope its ok!!! Didn't think to take a car seat do I need one???

Nip Thu 22-Feb-07 13:52:43

You will need a car seat - some companies supply them, some dont - its worth checking.

I worried about this as we are going in July - however i have found a company that you can hire the taxi with an appropriate seat...i'll find it for you

Nip Thu 22-Feb-07 13:54:29

here

You have to book it and get a larger vehicle (something to do with the seats in a normal taxi arent big enough to get a car seat on comfortable) - but its only 10Euros more than a normal taxi.

It is illegal in Majorca not to have a child in a car seat

prawnsmum Thu 22-Feb-07 13:58:37

Thank you so much I cant believe i hadn't even thought of that!!!!

Nip Thu 22-Feb-07 14:00:16

No i hadnt until recently and i really panicked about it - i searched loads of companies before finding this one - i spoke to the guy in the UK office and he's really nice.

Have a great holiday

prawnsmum Thu 22-Feb-07 14:04:23

Thanks for your help I would have got there and collapsed in a heap of tears!!!! And my mother would give me serious earache lol!!

Othersideofthechannel Thu 22-Feb-07 14:33:47

Here in Frane we are advised to use Evian straight from the bottle for making up formula.

dejags Thu 22-Feb-07 14:39:37

Why don't you take cartons? Much easier than mixing formula - IMO.

Dave1978 Thu 22-Feb-07 14:42:32

the thing is, if you don't boil it and make it up straight from the bottle, you wont kill any bacteria present in the formula. Current guidelines in most of europe say that formula is not sterile and needs making up with boiling water.
Mind you, that's the official view, I didn't know about it until after mine stopped having formula, and I used it straight from the bottle whilst on holiday and even at home always made formula with cooled water.

prawnsmum Thu 22-Feb-07 19:58:49

Thanks for all the advice was planning on taking some cartons but was scared about them bursting in the suitcase!!! I know it probably won't happen but I worry about everything!!!!

dejags Fri 23-Feb-07 09:52:54

I did not know that Dave.

I have always thought that you should not boil the water after adding the formula.

I always make up the bottle after letting the water cool down.

Beadmum Fri 23-Feb-07 21:26:43

we took ready made cartons when we went to spain with dd, it was so much easier than the hassle of boiling water and making up bottles, especially when out during the day. made our suitcase very heavy though, think it was around 36 small cartons we took but then dd was only 11 weeks at the time so needed this as she wasnt weaned at the time. have a fab time

prawnsmum Sat 24-Feb-07 20:11:46

Think I'm going to pay for extra baggage allowance and go for the cartons think we'll only need around 20 so not too bad

bristols Sat 24-Feb-07 20:21:23

dejags - you're right. You should always allow the boiled water to cool for 30 - 40 mins before adding the formula. Using boiling water with the powder will destroy the proteins in it (they're denatured) so it won't be as nutritious.

Othersideofthechannel - I'm off to France in a few weeks time. Last time I was BF but not now. Just to clarify, can we use the mineral water straight from the bottle? Or spring water? Is the boiled tap water no good? V confused!!

lucy5 Sat 24-Feb-07 20:38:40

What brand of milk do you use? You might be able to buy it there.

prawnsmum Sat 24-Feb-07 20:50:22

SMA not sure if thats avalible over there?

lucy5 Sat 24-Feb-07 21:00:51

I'm in Spain but I haven't seen sma. sorry it was just a thought.

prawnsmum Sat 24-Feb-07 21:03:05

Thanks anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now