Talk

Advanced search

What's the best Island in Greece to go with 2 children

(15 Posts)
user1475317873 Tue 10-Jan-17 12:55:25

Hi

We are planning to go to Greece for our summer holiday, 2 adults and 2 children 10 and 6. My husband and I enjoy exploring different beaches every day and some other cultural/historical outings; the kids enjoy the facilities that resorts offer and the swimming pool, they like the beach too. Perhaps we could do 5 nights in a resort and 7 nights in a self-contained apartment. What's the best Island to go to? any resorts and apartment recommendation would be greately appreciated too.

DH an I have been in Naxos and Santorini but the kids have never been in Greece.

Thank you

saresywaresy2 Tue 10-Jan-17 15:42:23

Well I have to qualify this by saying that I haven't been, but have been doing a bit of research lately and my ultimate 2 week summer hols plan is villa on Paxos for a week and then a week on Corfu (you have to fly to there then hydrofil across to Paxos) - there's a lovely big hotel on a peninsula in Paleokastritsa called the Akotiri or something similar I think.
Am also interested in Parga on the mainland and again you could do something similar there. Fly in to Prevezza I think it is called, have a week in Parga (looks stunning) and then on to islandish thing but think actually attached beginning with L - Lefkada that's it! (A nice, well- travelled man, who came into our office and got talking Greece with me, said he thought Lefkada would be better for kids than my Paxos plan, but I don't know about that). Apologies for stream of conciousness. But oh to be in Greece in the summer....

OnyK Tue 10-Jan-17 19:58:39

I've not had a bad holiday in Greece and have visited most of the main islands with my kids.
Would you be hiring a car? If so the Vasilikos area in Zakynthos or Messenia on the mainland are a little more of the main tourist track.

Hidethesausage Tue 10-Jan-17 20:06:18

Fiskardo is an awesome base for exploring Kefalonia. Car hire essential. Swimming, snorkelling, hiring a boat, beautiful port..

anotherbloodycyclist Tue 10-Jan-17 20:15:47

You can also fly to Preveza for Paxos. We've been to Paxos many times, our kids love it, now teens, but it is titchy and apart from swimming, hiring a boat and generally lazing around there isn't much to do (bliss). It also only has a couple of Hotels, so most of the accomodation is villas or apartments. It's my favourite of all the islands.
Lefkada is bigger, again fly to Preveza and then drive as it's attached to the mainland by a causeway. It's busier than Paxos, with a greater choice of accomodation. If you like watersports Vasilliki is a bit of a windsurfing hub. The Ioanian Islands are beautiful, a bit greener than the islands further south, and even in August there's a usually a pleasant breeze to cool you down.

monkeyfacegrace Tue 10-Jan-17 20:20:26

We go to Kefalonia. A lot. Always the Avithos Resort. Hire a car and job done. It's so easy and the restaurants are good, it's genuine Greece not tourist crap.

DumbledoresArmy Tue 10-Jan-17 20:34:37

We got married in Skala in Kefalonia!!
Beautiful place!!

With children though I totally recommend Alykanas or Alykes I'm Zakinthos.
Beautiful place & people. Not too expensive.
The beach & sea is lovely, clean & safe.
Plenty to do but not too noisy.
You can hire a car for really cheap & explore the rest of the island.

We've also been to Santorini & fell in love with it. But I must admit I prefer Alykanas in Zante.

user1475317873 Tue 10-Jan-17 22:15:54

Great! Thank you for all the advice.

Will look at all the places recommeneded here. We do normally hire a car a we like to go exploring.

Earlgreywithmilk Tue 10-Jan-17 22:19:27

We go to agios stefanos in Corfu every year it's beautiful. Nearby kassiopi is lovely and more lively and Corfu town is stunning and an experience you won't forget.

Greycat11 Wed 11-Jan-17 07:15:34

Another vote for Akykanas in Zakynthos, went last year and going back this summer. Can't wait. Beautiful island to drive around, can't wait to look down again at smugglers Cove to see the shipwreck. My photos look photo shopped as the water is so blue and clear.

sayatidaknama Wed 11-Jan-17 11:22:52

Crete or Peloponnese. Although everywhere in Greece is wonderful and it's pretty hard to have a bad holiday.

user1475317873 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:17:07

Thank you. I am looking at all the recommended places, there is quite a lot of choice. Thinking Kefalonia at the moment as it seems like a nice island and greener.

meladeso Wed 11-Jan-17 22:21:41

Only place I have been to in Greece is and it was brilliant.

Unspoilt, good value and beautiful scenery . Charming people too x

LouiseBrooks Wed 11-Jan-17 22:22:03

OP if you want green then definitely any of the Ionians, Samos or Skiathos. You can't really go wrong with Greece as long as you avoid the commercial hotspots. I've been going for 30 years off and on and nowhere is quite like it.

Allalonenow Wed 11-Jan-17 22:29:44

I'd say Crete for exploring with Rethymnon as a base, Skiathos is also lovely especially with young children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now