Talk

Advanced search

City break

(22 Posts)
LurkingQuietly Sun 08-Jan-17 22:21:05

I have come into a bit of money - nothing life changing, but enough for me to actually be able to splurge and spoil my lovely DH for once. Perfect timing really as it's his 40th this year and although it's not until December, I was already starting to worry about what I could do that was special on limited funds.

So, I think what I want to do is a little 2/3 nighter away, just the two of us. A city break perhaps, or not a city break. Europe rather than the U.K. I think. Budget for the whole thing (travel, accommodation, food, drink, etc) about £1000.

Previous breaks have been Prague, Vienna, Barcelona, and we're off to Copenhagen later this year.

Where do you suggest? We're open to pretty much anything although not a spa break. And any time of year.

Thanks smile

notmaryberry Sun 08-Jan-17 22:22:09

Rome

Toohardtofindaproperusername Sun 08-Jan-17 22:26:47

What's he into? That would determine where might suit?

HerculesMulligan Sun 08-Jan-17 22:27:06

Honfleur in Normandy.

WispyWindy Sun 08-Jan-17 22:28:35

Yes, Italy in December would be lovely. Sunny even if cold, lovely food and wine. If you've never been to Venice December is a good time to visit as so much less crowded compared to the rest of the year.

3nationsfamily Sun 08-Jan-17 22:49:48

Bruges, lovely, small, romantic- perfect for a grown up few days away. We stayed here www.hoteldukespalace.com/nl/ perfect central location, very luxurious as a special treat and the best breakfast buffet ever!

blue25 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:51:10

Madrid-we went in December 2016. Lovely sunny days-cold but everyone sat out in pavement cafes with heaters. Lots of lovely restaurants, bars etc. Amazing food & wine.

BridgetDarcy Sun 08-Jan-17 23:04:04

Iceland. I took DH for his 40th. Best decision!

Sundayafternoonblues Sun 08-Jan-17 23:06:22

I really liked Tallinn, but would recommend for Spring, not December.

Allalonenow Sun 08-Jan-17 23:10:20

Another vote for Bruges, fab food, plenty to do and see, not a long journey, the best beer and chocolate in the world.

LurkingQuietly Mon 09-Jan-17 11:12:28

Ooh, amazing responses, thank you! I like the idea of Bruges, or Venice. I've been to Rome with an ex and whispers really hated it. Sorry.

As for what he's into, we'll we really enjoy wandering round a new place, nipping into a pub/bar for a drink, being a bit touristy.

He likes football, so I was wondering about trying to get him tickets for a football match if timings worked. Sadly, my only knowledge of this would be the Nou Camp, but we've done Barcelona so wouldn't want to go there really.

Toohardtofindaproperusername Mon 09-Jan-17 23:08:57

Madrid! Bars and great tapas... And lots to do for tourists ... Make sure you adjust your body clock to eat, drink and be merry at Spanish times - it really doesn't work if you try and do it English style.

Revealall Tue 10-Jan-17 00:13:49

Hated Rome?! How is that possible!

What didn't you like, that would help people find you somewhere you might like. I really dislike Venice though. It's just for tourists it seems to me.

NotCitrus Tue 10-Jan-17 02:03:47

Tell us what you don't like! Tbh you could go to pretty much any European city, a lovely hotel and get them to recommend local pubs and restaurants, and have a great time.
Which airport would you fly from?

Mamia15 Tue 10-Jan-17 09:12:38

Budapest? Berlin? Munich? Seville? Venice? Florence? Amsterdam? Krakow?

BarbaraofSeville Tue 10-Jan-17 11:15:04

Madrid would be good and I think you can tour the Spanish national football stadium - Benebau (sp?) Metro station goes from the airport and all around the city so easy transport.

Loads of tapas bars, parks, museums and general wandering about to do.

But I actually prefer Granada but transport not so easy (couple of hours train from Malaga) but there is the Alhambra, tapas and general mooching about - best thing is to go up the Albacin quarter at night for tapas and see the Alhambra lit up.

LurkingQuietly Tue 10-Jan-17 16:02:26

I knew I'd get asked about the Rome thing...its hard to articulate, but I felt really unsafe, there were groups of quite intimidating men hanging around our hotel, I was absolutely convinced someone had been in our room (we returned after it had been cleaned, went back out and when we returned things had been moved, definitely), and I think I found it too touristy. We spent most of the break queuing it felt. I just felt there were almost too many people there, and I work in central London every day.

I know, I'm ridiculous.

We can fly from any London airport, including "London" Southend 😂

LurkingQuietly Tue 10-Jan-17 16:03:23

Bruges, Budapest, Krakow all massively appeal though, thank you for all of your replies.

TheNaze73 Tue 10-Jan-17 16:06:27

Cannot get my head around how you could possibly hate Rome but, each to their own. I felt the same with Los Angeles despite everyone telling me how great it was.

Another shout for Reykjavik in Iceland or Florence

dinkystinky Tue 10-Jan-17 16:08:53

Venice! My DH took me there for my 40th in November and it was fabulous. Lots of lovely bars and restaurants, beautiful scenery, wonderful food and lots of art and culture to enjoy. Super easy to wander round too.

MummaGiles Tue 10-Jan-17 16:10:40

Another vote for Madrid. I love it there in winter, bright and crisp. If you like museums, parks, food, drink, palaces then it's the place to go. Budapest and Stockholm also very good. Personally I want to go to Bruges and Munich. Ooh or what about Lisbon?!

Revealall Tue 10-Jan-17 17:12:35

How about the south of France for a non city break? Fly to Nice and stay in one of the very charming villages along the coast.
Villefranche is an easy 15 minute bus/train/ taxi down the road but is a stunning village, has views over to Cap Ferrat, a nice beach and has lots of lovely bars and restaurants. Most of the tourist arrive on cruise ships and disappear off to Monte Carlo etc. Twas in the recent Ab Fab film.
Romantic, easy and the train line goes directly up to Italy via Monte Carlo, Antibes, Niceetc for very easy trips out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now