Advanced search

Looking for mark Warner activities without it being mark warner

(20 Posts)
Notnownornever Sun 08-Jan-17 18:21:47

Have done MW

We just don't need that level of childcare and would prefer better food

So we have kids between 9 and 15

We want short haul
Short transfer from airport (this is a must)

Tennis plus coaching
Sailing plus RYA courses
Fitness classes
Biking and running

Good kids club with plenty of English speaking kids in it and freedom to dip in and out

Good buffet style food or a variety of restaurants

In an ideal world a day trip or two and kids LOVE waterparks

Not Tenerife

Hit me with some amazing suggestions!!

toobusytothink Sun 08-Jan-17 18:23:52

No help I'm afraid but looking for exactly the same thing!!! Poss thinking of Sani Beach Resort (not sure which hotel is best there though)??????

Notnownornever Sun 08-Jan-17 18:32:44

Have been to sani and it is amazing but often fully booked

There was not as much sailing tuition. Can take a boat out but no actual classes- same for tennis
We would like our activities a bit more structured

HamSandwichKiller Sun 08-Jan-17 18:38:18

Have you looked at Neilson? Similar
vibe to MW. I think they charge extra for sailing stuff at some resorts though.

imsorryiasked Sun 08-Jan-17 18:43:48

Seconding Neilson - they have some good locations in Greece.

sarahnova69 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:43:50

Look at the Neilson resorts in Turkey and Greece. We've done 4 and several have short transfers.

Notnownornever Sun 08-Jan-17 19:41:55

Really is neilson anybwtter food wise? And locations? Assumed it was same level and mainly about childcare?

sarahnova69 Sun 08-Jan-17 21:47:49

I don't really know what you mean by mainly about childcare. Neilson is about the activities. The food is good but I don't really know how it compares to mark Warner, I think it's less about the food than Warner. The locations are pretty great though.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 08-Jan-17 21:58:16

Haven't been for a few years, but ime Nielsen tend to have their beach clubs close to a touristy place, so you can always find local restaurants to eat at. Also, their half board option is unusual - you have some lunches and some dinners 'in house' so you can choose to go elsewhere for non-club meals, or add the meal to your tab in the club.
the childcare is pretty laid back, and there are always water-based activities going on. Tbh, my impression of those places is that the childcare staff are more concerned eith their own good time than entertaining the kids, so if yours are older they'll be better off joining in the sailing lessons.
It's a few years since we've been, and actually the last place we went to (Kenya) has closed now.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 08-Jan-17 22:03:49

Neilsen beachclubs.

Notnownornever Sun 08-Jan-17 22:24:41

Yes I was ideally looking for an alternative to MW and neilson but with similar level of sailing and tEnnis activities.

An active kids club would be brilliant but we don't need it for child care as much as ME seems to be about (majority of families had kids in the clubs all day then evening too when we went- fine but not what we are after)

But the actual sailing and tennis courses they do rather than just sign up and hire a dinghy or court were brilliant

So best of both worlds is what we are after!

Any of the higher end hotels do this? Like the Annabelle is Cyprus or forte in Italy?

dalek Sun 08-Jan-17 22:26:46

Try Club Med - the food is ahead and shoulders above everyone else

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 08-Jan-17 23:00:05

Sorry I was trying to say that Neilsen didn't seem to place too much emphasis on the childcare - was more of an optional thing afair.

mummymeister Mon 09-Jan-17 08:57:18

its the combination of sailing and tennis that is going to be the issue for you. we went to vassiliki with ocean elements to do a week windsurfing and sailing. there are lots of places in Greece that do sailing only holidays and if you did that for a week then you wouldn't be bored.

if you want multi activity for teens then really looking at something like N or MW because it is a very niche market and they have it covered.

Iamverybrave Mon 09-Jan-17 09:15:01

I haven't been but it was recommended to me
http://www.peligoni.com

sarahnova69 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:53:47

FWIW we've found Neilson childcare very good, but we're using baby & toddler care not the older kids clubs. Qualified nannies who are very attentive. A couple of evenings are included on days when there isn't morning childcare but otherwise evenings are optional. I've also only gone in September when they aren't running the clubs for older children.

I can't compare the food to anywhere else, I would say it's wholesome but generally not fancy. Neilson is very much about the sportiness and activity though, it's not a foodie holiday, though as a PP says there are a number of nights where you can go out to local restaurants for a meal instead of staying in the resort.

janinlondon Wed 11-Jan-17 15:56:55

I've done four Mark Warner, three sunsail, and six Neilsons (these include many that are now closed for all three firms). Neilson food was better at all resorts than at any of the MW or Sunsail. Also Neilson let you water ski for free (limited number of tows but still free). Their teen clubs are way and above the clubs offered by the others - free range but lots of great activities.

Notnownornever Fri 13-Jan-17 21:59:31

Janinlondon thanks so much
Any specific recommendations for neilson?

janinlondon Mon 16-Jan-17 12:17:46

We are not tennis players so you would prob be best to call head office for advice on which resort is best for that. All the Neilson locations have particular strengths - Lemnos has a very short transfer and a pool so big you can water ski on it. Lesvos has the most gorgeous village with restaurants on stilts over the beach within walking distance of the club. Sivota has views to die for...our favourite is closed this year (in Turkey) due to the political situation, but if you check the brochure you will see there is plenty on offer. We have never been let down by them.....(not on commission or anything, no connection etc!)

theredjellybean Mon 16-Jan-17 14:29:54

another vote for neilson here...done both MW and neilson and neilson won hands down. Been at the ages your kids are, and mine loved it, they can join in or not depending on what you want, i always had plans we would do some stuff together but come the holiday mine always buggered off with their friends. Plus Neilson had a slightly separate kids group for 8-13 which was a lot less 'childcare' and all about the water sports, and both mine ended with level 4 sailing and windsurfing certificates from this.
I have looked at ocean elements but it is no where near as nice a location or accommodation as Neilson

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now