Talk

Advanced search

Amazing family holiday in the UK. Ideas please

(17 Posts)
welliesandsequins Sun 08-Jan-17 12:26:38

I would like to take dds (10 and 15) away for a fantastic holiday in the summer. The catch is that it has to be in the uk.
I have thought along the lines of
Pony trekking in Wales
Hiring a camper and travelling around Cornwall and Devon (possibly including surf lessons)
Scottish highlands
But am open to any ideas at all.

Thank you

welliesandsequins Sun 08-Jan-17 16:45:18

Anyone?

LightsLoveLaughter Sun 08-Jan-17 16:49:22

Hire a camper van

Travel around in a large circle visiting as many places as possible.

Plan each stop with the DC and ask if there is anywhere they want to visit.

LightsLoveLaughter Sun 08-Jan-17 16:50:49

Start with Devon and work your way up to Scotland then back down in a different direction.

Astro55 Sun 08-Jan-17 16:53:17

What do the kids like to do? Do you have a budget?

Pogolphin Sun 08-Jan-17 17:59:03

Fly up to Orkney (its amazing!) then sleeper train down to surfing in Cornwall.

welliesandsequins Sun 08-Jan-17 19:00:25

Grey suggestions. Thank you.
We have done Orkney and it was beautiful.
The travelling thing was what I was thinking of with Devon and Cornwall. Will only have two weeks a most so would be rushing it to do all the way up to Scotland though I think.
We are all quite outdoorsy.
Maybe the camper around parts of Wales. Grower for surfing and then hills for walking/pony trekking?

welliesandsequins Sun 08-Jan-17 19:00:56

Great! Not grey. blush

Astro55 Sun 08-Jan-17 20:07:01

Have you looked at the Isle of Man? Lots of fishing - water sports out door climbing etc - try the venture center for a bit of family fun!

Lots to explore

saresywaresy2 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:40:25

We had a cycling holiday last year with our 11 and 9 year olds. We did the Hadrian wall cycleway. It was an experience that we all loved. took a bit of planning with the packing and we had to have a friend help us - dropping off and picking up, but it was worth it, great camaraderie and great sense of achievement too, would recommend?

welliesandsequins Mon 09-Jan-17 21:41:57

That sounds interesting. Thank you

Earlgreywithmilk Mon 09-Jan-17 21:43:06

Cornwall. My kids have been on loads of nice, exotic foreign holidays but they always bang on about our Cornish holidays. There's so much to do and if u plan it well there are such beautiful places to visit

Alorsmum Mon 09-Jan-17 21:44:55

I'd spend part of it on a canal boat if I had kids that age

Pogolphin Wed 11-Jan-17 18:02:47

Helicopter to the Scilly Isles for scuba diving and cycling?

profpoopsnagle Fri 13-Jan-17 16:24:04

I'd consider Wales. We once had a great few days touring and spending a night at different youth hostels before then hiring a cottage for a week for a bit more R&R. There's also good surfing beaches in the Gower, other beaches, Zipworld (longest zip wires and underground trampoline parks) walks in Snowdonia, places to visit like Cardiff/castles/The Big Pit....

Wales is also relatively compact so you'd spend more time doing activities as opposed to travelling to get to them.

Dashper Sat 14-Jan-17 15:45:08

Pembrokeshire since you're outdoorsy. Whitesands and Freshwater are great surfing beaches. Walk the coast path. Teenagers who like surfing would probably enjoy coasteering too. Oh, and there are stunning views from Pwll Deri youth hostel.

NannyR Sat 14-Jan-17 15:52:50

Northumberland is beautiful. You've got gorgeous, deserted beaches, castles, boat trips, Lindisfarne island and then inland you've got Kielder forest where there are lots of walking and biking trails and other outdoor activities. Plus, if you get clear skies, it's a designated dark skies area so the stars are amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now