Talk

Advanced search

Cruises - Top tips/recommendations?

(5 Posts)
Figure17a Sat 07-Jan-17 22:35:51

We're struggling to book a holiday for this summer as we have a very small window to fit it in. Basically need to go between 22 & 31 July.

A cruise has some appeal but we've never been before. Four of us including 2 teen boys. I think we'd probably go for all inclusive ( unless you tell me that's bad idea) and it would have to be Scandinavia or the Med, in view of the timescale.

What do I need to know and any recommendations for companies/ships please?

e.g. is it worth paying for upgraded cabins?

Figure17a Sun 08-Jan-17 15:03:04

Anyone?

BizzyFizzy Sun 08-Jan-17 15:14:42

We've done three Mediterranean cruises with teenagers, all with Thomson, so obviously, we are fans.

We have always gone for better cabins, i.e. outside ones, but it is perfectly possible to enjoy the cruise with a low deck inside. You really don't spend a lot of time in your cabin.

A cruise is enjoyable for teens as they can have the run of the ship and feel independent. We've always paid for a drinks package, so the kids can order their own drinks. During the school holidays, there are kids clubs, including one for teenagers.

You tailor your own shore activities - we typically go to a beach if there is one, or sightsee in major destinations. The ship will offer more active excursions, such as cycling, if that kind of thing interests you.

We like Thomson as they have medium-sized ships with almost everything included in the price. They tend to have the longest times in port, and can get right into the berth. The mega ships have a lot more that you can pay for, such as climbing walls, and anything above basic food. Thomson's included food is excellent with plenty of entertainment is targeted at the British audience.

Figure17a Sun 08-Jan-17 17:41:26

Thank-you, that's really helpful smile

iklboo Sun 08-Jan-17 17:48:11

We're about to go on our fourth - third with P&O. Agree you don't spend much time in your cabins - just sleeping & getting changed.

You don't have to do the posh nights if you don't want to. We all love getting dressed up fancy. With P & O you can do the seated dining (naicer food, three courses) or buffet style choose your own - and there's lots of choice.

There also 'extra' special dining that costs a cover charge. We paid £28 each for five course Michelin style dining. Really worth the money for a special occasion.

Ice creams, coffees & soft drinks you can buy a package for as pay as you go.

We don't go all inclusive but the drinks prices are kind of on par with city centre bar prices.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: