Talk

Advanced search

Travel to efteling with ferries, will this work?

(9 Posts)
JellyBellies Fri 06-Jan-17 07:27:12

Hi,

I should start by saying that I have never taken a ferry to Europe. Have only been twice and have flown both times.

I live in the east mids and wanted to take the kids to efteling in the may half term.

Will the following work?
1. Ferry from Hull to Rotherham, arrive in the am
2. Drive to efteling, stay for 2 nights
3. Drive to Paris, stay there for 2 or 3 nights
4. Drive to Calais and take ferry back to Dover
5. Drive home

How long does it take from the reported ferry arrival time to actually bing on the road? How long does immigration, etc take?

Also on the return leg, is Paris a good idea? (have never been) or should we go somewhere in Brussels and take another route back?

Kids will be 8 and 5 and DH will be travelling to.

Thanks in advance!

bruffin Fri 06-Jan-17 07:36:18

we always drive but stop off in Bruges which is lovely.
Rotterdam is a bit of a nightmare though unless its in the middle of the night. Its ring road after ring road. Prefer the drive from calais or Zeebrugger

JellyBellies Fri 06-Jan-17 07:40:37

Thanks bruffin! Do you stop overnight on the way from Calais to the park?

I'd like to arrive around mid morning at the park so that we can visit the park for 3 days.

bruffin Fri 06-Jan-17 08:04:47

We actually stay in Centreparcs but have also stayed in the town Walwijk
once. Its about an hour drive either from Rotterdam or 3 hrs to Calais if i remember correctly. Zeebruger is 2 hours but a bit longer on ferry.
I prefer a longer drive and a lot less time on ferry. We stopped using Hook of Holland when they stopped the fast crossings.
Last time we were at Kempervennen which isnt far from Eftling and spent the day in Bruges on way back. But we have stayed over night in Bruges before.

bruffin Fri 06-Jan-17 08:18:43

Forgot the main traffic problem on the Calais/Zeebruger route is the Kennedy tunnel in Antwerp

lovelyupnorth Mon 09-Jan-17 15:55:05

we did similar - newcastle-amsterdam week at cp including visiting eftelling then came back dunkirk-dover -cheaper and less busy than calais when we travelled - booked the lounge on the boat which was excellent. no issues through customs/ etc at either side.

my kids really enjoyed the playmobil land on the edge of paris - cheap and good few hours fun.

JellyBellies Thu 12-Jan-17 20:08:56

Thanks lovely, that sounds great!

DebbieDownersGiveItARest Sun 15-Jan-17 17:43:51

Op The novetel in Bruges is excellent - for family room only 90 quid and yet lovely.

we stop in bruges there and back because we like bruges, its cheap and means we can get the full day at efetling the next day. People also stop in Ghent.

we do Dover to Dunkirk, its half hour less driving. Very easy driving when you get over there - all roads seem empty compared to poor old UK.

Efetling is wonderful you will have fabulous time, I do think Paris may be a bridge too far but Amsterdam is great city and only an hour and bit from Efteling?

OublietteBravo Sun 15-Jan-17 18:03:25

Firstly, is Hull the most sensible port? The other option is Harwich to Hook of Holland (both ferries arrive at the same time - just on opposite sides of the estuary).

Secondly, do you really want to take the car? Have a look at Stena Line 'Rail and Sail' from London Liverpool Street. (Assuming you can get to London by train).

The Netherlands rail network is easy to navigate. You need Hook of Holland to Rotterdam (about 30 min), the Rotterdam to Tilburg. It's a short bus journey from Tilburg to Efteling.

If you want to go to Paris, you can get a direct train from Rotterdam. Since you've left the car at home, you can return via Eurostar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now