Talk

Advanced search

Find me an All Inclusive I will enjoy!

(13 Posts)
hereandnowtoday Thu 05-Jan-17 23:10:25

I'm not keen on package holidays. I've never done All Inclusive. I like a quiet villa in the countryside, walking, hiring a car - getting off the beaten track etc etc. Previously on package holidays we've gone SC and just used the hotel as a base and either gone on a few guided trips, or done our own thing.

BUT! DH does all the cooking. He wants a break, to know everything is paid for, food the DC will eat, kids club etc. He thinks we should do AI for a change this year.

Is there a compromise? Budget is £2.5K for October. Kids 8 and 5 and happy as long as there's a pool.

NicknameUsed Fri 06-Jan-17 16:40:11

No advice, but you sound like you like the same sort of holidays that we do. I would hate to go AI. Can you compromise and go half board instead?

Kirriemuir Sat 07-Jan-17 10:17:03

Club magic in fuerteventura has been one of the better AI we have found in recent years. Proper AI with no paying extras for this that and the other. Decent food. Hotel run kids club but it was very good last time we were there. We barely saw DS for the week. He loved it and if he chose he could literally got from 9 am to 9 pm there was so much for him to do.

Also look at sensatori but I don't think that will come in on budget. October is our favourite time of year to go.

Makemineacabsauv Sat 07-Jan-17 23:21:12

We stayed at a Mitsis AI in Faliraki in Rhodes. Now Faliraki is not my usual choice for a holiday but I thought it would suit my teeens. Hotel was lovely but as an AI it could have been anywhere. Reason why I'm suggesting it is because it was lovely with great food and service and it's right on the beach on the edge of the resort which is quiet in Oct. I escaped daily to the beach and walked along the beach to a wee church and sat in a traditional taverna on the beach by the church most days! Was my wee bit of Greece! Mitsis also have lovely AI hotels in Rhodes town which is a lovely medieval town but hotels aren't on the beach.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 10-Jan-17 11:24:57

Go B&B and eat out for lunch and dinner. Breakfast buffets are bearable but buffets for lunch and dinner are generally not great unless you pay an arm and a leg, which sadly is more than £2.5k if you're talking about the October holidays.

Pick a hotel in walking distance of a supermarket and a few bars and restaurants in somewhere like Playa Blanca Lanzarote.

I would suggest trying to get the hotel for £2k leaving £500 for meals/drinks. I know it's not all paid for a la AI, but the food and experience will be much better.

If you eat a decent, late breakfast, you probably won't need two full restaurant meals each day so can sometimes just get a slice of pizza, tapas or big ice cream etc for one of the other meal, to help with budgeting. Pick a hotel room with a fridge or even a kitchenette, so can buy drinks and snacks or maybe sandwich materials from supermarkets not hotel prices.

saresywaresy2 Tue 10-Jan-17 15:27:52

I know what you mean, the humanity can be quite overwhelming in these big places. the best AI we ever went to was in the Dalaman region of Turkey with lots of fabulous Turkish food and wine on tap and gorgeous pools and scenery. I know Turkey is a bit dicey these days, so maybe Greece or Cyprus? You just have to do your research. I am a holidayaholic. I first narrow it down to a place i want to visit - usually by attractiveness of area, and then look at the hotel reviews. You need a consensus that the food is good.
We did half board once in Mallorca. That was good. Maybe that could be your compromise?
Actually just seen that you are going in October. That makes me think Canaries or Madeira. I think if you are going for s week your budget is very healthy, but i have no actual suggestions!!!

danTDM Tue 10-Jan-17 15:48:59

Club Med is great, but expensive. Fabulous food, choice of restaurants, childrens clubs and all sorts of activites.

ChippyMinton Tue 10-Jan-17 21:38:55

I'd second the suggestion of a Mitsis hotel, if you can get a good price.
They are Greek-run with an international clientele. We'd never tried AI but went to the Mitsis Grand in Rhodes Town and had a great time - lovely staff, plenty of eating choices. Only downside was the lack of decent beach, and if I was going again I would look at the Faliraki side of the island.

Makemineacabsauv Fri 13-Jan-17 19:47:27

It was the Faliraki beach we went to and it was fab. Resort was quiet when we went in Oct.

Makemineacabsauv Fri 13-Jan-17 19:47:49

Cheapest price was by phoning them direct.

Chewbecca Fri 13-Jan-17 19:51:21

If I were you, I'd stick to the self catering so you get the space of a whole villa/apartment and the opportunity to make a cuppa when you like and have drinks in the fridge etc., but make sure you choose somewhere within walking distance of plenty of eateries and eat out every evening.

Just because you have s/c accommodation, doesn't mean you have to actually self cater!

I think you have to spend more than your budget to get a good AI.

Brighteyes27 Sat 21-Jan-17 19:15:43

I find the AI food too monotonous and feel like I am in a prison camp after more than a couple of days no matter how expensive it costs.
As you say Chewbacca I'd rather rent a privtate let and eat out on an eveining. However, we're at the stage where we could do with a few more facilities to keep the teen and tween amused but can't quite face AI.

babybell23 Fri 27-Jan-17 13:42:22

If you like quiet, countryside and walking with the option of a few guided trips you could look at a Lakes and Mountains holiday (either half board or all inclusive). Eg Thomson Lakes and Mountains or Inghams. Some are very family friendly - have kids clubs etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now