Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Swimming pool use at gite

(16 Posts)
Prometheus Thu 05-Jan-17 21:33:58

I'm thinking of booking a gite in the Loire and have read through the terms and conditions of the place we think we'll go for. In the small print it says that the swimming pool in the grounds of the gite can be used between the hours of 10-13 and 15-22h. I'm trying to think of a reason why they don't want the pool being used for part of the afternoon - siesta time? In the Loire? Keen to find out if they expect us to be quiet during that time as this may impact on our choice of gite. Has anyone come across this before?

jenpetronus Thu 05-Jan-17 21:37:00

Ask the owners! Maybe maintenance, or they want to use it themselves?

SwedishEdith Thu 05-Jan-17 21:42:31

Agree, ask. 2 hours isn't too bad a restriction if all else is ok. They probably just want to use it themselves without impinging too much.

Prometheus Thu 05-Jan-17 21:54:30

Will do grin

frenchfancy Fri 06-Jan-17 08:58:11

I think that is very restrictive. Is it advertised as a private pool or a shared pool? To me if you rent a place with a pool you get a pool. I accept that it may need to be closed for cleaning occasionally but not 4 hours (8-10am and 13-15) per day.

starsinyourpies Fri 06-Jan-17 09:00:02

If the owners also live on site they probably want to use it themselves. Or have a quiet lunch without kids screaming in the pool!

specialsubject Fri 06-Jan-17 09:36:59

Guessing siesta without shrieking kids.

GlacindaTheTroll Fri 06-Jan-17 09:50:51

Yes, I suspect it's a noise issue, meaning their are other people near enough to have a siesta disturbed.

(Routine pool cleaning when we went to a villa ran overnight and actual maintenance person turned up in the morning of changeover day - bit embarrassing when you're having a last-minute skinny-dip)

So - what shape day do you want on holiday?

frenchfancy Fri 06-Jan-17 15:36:58

I'm sorry but if the owners live on site and don't want the noise of children spoiling their quiet lunch then they are in the wrong job.

TBH a rule like this instantly makes me think that the owner is not putting the desires of the holidaymaker first and that would be a red flag for me.

Prometheus Fri 06-Jan-17 15:55:40

I emailed the owner in French asking in a very British roundabout way but he didn't give any further info. Just confirmed the opening hours. It is a pool for the sole use of the gite. Restricting use of the pool will in no way guarantee peace and quiet as there is a big garden with football goalposts etc which made me wonder if there was another issue rather than noise.

jenpetronus Fri 06-Jan-17 16:04:31

Could you google the place, see if there is a website or reviews on TA giving any more info? (apologies if you've thought of this already) I do agree with frenchfancy - if it's a noise problem they're in the wrong job and there's likely to be other issues too...

Prometheus Fri 06-Jan-17 18:35:56

There is a website but no reviews posted yet. Nor on TripAdvisor. Not sure if that is a bad omen?

PippaFawcett Fri 06-Jan-17 18:46:49

We hired somewhere last year that the owners popped by and used the pool as they wished which was v strange. I would look elsewhere if I was you.

jenpetronus Fri 06-Jan-17 19:58:26

I'd be a bit wary. No reviews? hmm

SwedishEdith Fri 06-Jan-17 20:30:24

I'd just ask directly. I'm really weird about shared pools on holiday - it's my nightmare to turn up somewhere with a shared pool. Especially with just one other family. But, if just the owners, might not be so bad for 2 hours a day.

Ancienchateau Sat 07-Jan-17 10:12:03

I live in that region and at our place in the countryside you aren't allowed to mow your grass, have a bonefire etc between 12-14h. The French are very precious about their lunch, particularly noticeable in the countryside so could be something to do with that? However, those hours are odd and suggest you are going to be constantly shushing your DC. That, along with no reviews and unforthcoming host, really, I'd look elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now