(18 Posts)
blossombottom Wed 04-Jan-17 16:11:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Branleuse Wed 04-Jan-17 16:13:47

give us a bit more to go on than that OP

blossombottom Wed 04-Jan-17 16:28:21

minipie Wed 04-Jan-17 16:33:04

You'd be mad to go really long haul with baby and toddler, given you're going in September when there will still be lovely sunshine closer by.

I'd suggest the Southern Med - Greece, Spain, Italy. Maybe Canaries.

IME it is best to go somewhere very child focused as they will have all the kit, the staff will be great with kids and the other guests will be understanding. There may even be some childcare available.

What do you like - big shiny hotel? low key and quiet? self catering or all laid on?

1DAD2KIDS Wed 04-Jan-17 16:34:19

I hear Syria is good that time of year.

minipie Wed 04-Jan-17 16:41:25

Cross posted.

Have a look at or chats to Tots Too or Totstotravel - they will have some ideas for you. As a starter for 10:

- Sani Beach in Greece
- Sensatori Tenerife
- Aphrodite Hills Cyprus
- Borgo Egnazia Italy
- Ikos Olivia Greece

These are more on the 5* end of things I think but there are plenty of cheaper options out there.

I haven't stayed in them personally - I tend to prefer self catering (but with food available on site or nearby) rather than hotels as it's easier with small DC. If you think you'd prefer self catering but still with lots of facilities laid on I suggest

- Baobab Suites Tenerife
- Ammos Crete
- Periyali or Mousses in Greece

dreamingofsun Wed 04-Jan-17 17:46:58

i wouldnt do longhaul with baby and toddler - i've done greece etc with that age-group and that was bad enough. i too was going to suggest greece, or spain - mainland or maybe majorca. we like self catering as its more chilled. or portugal. take care which resort though as that will make a massive difference. we are trying cyprus this year. it'd be quite hot in september though?

minipie Wed 04-Jan-17 18:03:34

dreaming may I ask where you are going in Cyprus? We are looking for somewhere in October...

blossombottom Wed 04-Jan-17 18:53:57

dreamingofsun Wed 04-Jan-17 19:43:07

minipie - near latchi and poli - they were the resorts i was aiming for. I've not been there before, but reading on here and a few books the area sounds like it will suit us. ie no high rise blocks and bit quieter more scenic. Latchi sounds like a fishing village with nice restaurants and polis is slightly more inland. on the edge of a nature reserve type area. not sure the beaches are so good, but we have a lovely pool overlooking mountains and the bay

blossom - i too love greece, but there are also some great places in spain and portugal if you choose carefully - nicer than some greek places

dreamingofsun Wed 04-Jan-17 19:46:09

blossom - as well as flight time, i'd think about transfer times with youngsters. also what time is the flight - day best for us. what are you going to do there - are there nice sheltered beaches or are you going to be on tenderhooks because of the massive breakers and 100's of steps down to the beach. have you looked at puerto pollensa in majorca? we liked it and people rave about it on here i imagine in part to the suitability with young kids (ours now older)

minipie Thu 05-Jan-17 11:27:29

With tots I actually find self catering easier. Even though there is more cooking/washing up, it gives you more flexibility and less time trying to keep them still in restaurants!

Sounds like somewhere like Mousses/Periyali, Ammos, or Caserio del Mirador (southern Spain) would suit you. Both should be warm in September I'd have thought. Periyali has a load of simple child friendly restaurants within walking/easy driving distance. Not cheap mind you.

ElsieBobo Thu 05-Jan-17 11:34:32

We have similar aged kids and plannining summer hols too. Ideas have included:
Self catering, Mallorca
Algarve
Greece, Sani or Domes of Elounda Crete
Or ferry to France and camp in Brittany

These were based on our criteria of a shortish flight (can't bear thought on long haul with 2yo) and either self catering or a v family friendly hotel so can sort baby purees etc. And access to a safe shallow beach.

minipie Thu 05-Jan-17 12:39:54

Sorry forgot to say thank you to blossom! That area does look nice.

Don't suppose you've found somewhere there which has self catering but also has a creche/kids club?

Joneseygirl77 Thu 05-Jan-17 13:15:32

We went to Sani last Sept with our 2.5DD and it was great. Really geared up to children in terms of pools/ beach/ food etc. It's on the beach which is great and the weather was good. Only downside is you can't walk into a town but you can walk down to the marina area which has shops/ restaurants (all owned by Sani though). They do a dine around programme which means you can eat in most of the restaurants and some of them had set menus or you could pay extra for others.

It's not a traditional Greek experience if that's what you're after but we found it great for little ones. Have booked to go again this year. It's blooming pricey though!

I also looked are Martinhal resort which friends have been to and said is also great for children.

Branleuse Thu 05-Jan-17 13:59:58

id definitely go for self catering, apartment or similar. You really dont want to be in a hotel with children in the evening trying to be silent while they get to sleep. At least with an apt you can give them a room.
Id also go southern europe in september, it will still be lovely and warm and the sea will be warm too

blossombottom Thu 05-Jan-17 18:11:40

Branleuse Fri 06-Jan-17 10:12:29

let us know where you choose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now