Talk

Advanced search

Inspiration wanted for short break in Europe, early April

(26 Posts)
Sundayafternoonblues Sat 31-Dec-16 00:40:45

Looking for ideas for a short (3-4 night) break in Europe in the first half of April for two adults and two teenagers (16 and 13). Last year we went to Tallinn which was the perfect short break for us for the following reasons:
-really picturesque with lots of interesting places to visit;
-felt very safe, no worries about pickpocketing or aggressive begging;
-easy to get about, no need for a car;
-English widely spoken, so no worries about language barrier. (In case it's relevant to your suggestions, I can get by in French and German.)

Would be interested to hear any suggestions. We have also previously visited Paris and Vienna and are looking to try somewhere new.

TIA

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sat 31-Dec-16 01:00:48

Amsterdam or Copenhagen. Both lovely in the spring (though C can still be cold) with masses to see and do.

WispyWindy Sat 31-Dec-16 01:08:04

I'd go southern Europe as you might be ready for some warm weather by then. How about south of France, e.g. Nice, or southern Spain, e.g. Granada.

specialsubject Sat 31-Dec-16 14:48:42

Lisbon - loads to see and do, lovely city, not expensive. Portugese impossible to pronounce but makes sense when written and English will be widely spoken in the tourist bits.

or Barcelona with securely zipped pockets!

both near their airports, too.

LIZS Sat 31-Dec-16 14:52:57

We went to Rome at end March last year. Just after Easter, not too busy and great weather.

purpleleotard Sat 31-Dec-16 15:00:14

Kalamata, on mainland Greece.
Easy driving.
Nice town.
Beautiful sea, high mountains, lovely flowers.
a lack of tourists.
Good hotels
Nice food.

TheCatsWhiskers Sat 31-Dec-16 15:01:46

Berlin. There is so much to do and great for teenagers.

Spam88 Sat 31-Dec-16 15:03:06

Does Rome take your fancy? LOADS to do, everything quite close together so you can get around on foot, and just a really lovely vibe there. We went end of April and had some glorious weather, although one evening it rained more than I have ever seen it rain anywhere ever. I haven't been away anywhere without some waterproof boots since lol.

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Sat 31-Dec-16 15:10:03

Rome and Pompeii?

Only a short train journey between them...

3nationsfamily Sat 31-Dec-16 16:57:56

We went to Rome in October with three teens aged 15/16/17 and we all loved it , and weather not too hot nor crowds too big. Just remember if it is around Easter weekend it will be chockablock with pilgrims to the Vatican.

Sundayafternoonblues Sat 31-Dec-16 18:20:13

Thank you for all the suggestions. As usual when it comes to booking family holidays, finding one choice on which everyone can agree is proving a challenge!

DH and DS seem quite taken with Copenhagen, which isn't one that had particularly appealed to me, but I am open to being convinced. GoodyGoody (or anyone else who has been and liked it), what did you particularly enjoy in Copenhagen?

Rioja123 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:24:43

Prague

AnyFucker Sat 31-Dec-16 18:26:23

Barcelona. An easy bus ride from the airport. Loads to see and do.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 31-Dec-16 18:38:53

Another vote for Lisbon - v compact, good food, lots to see and do

Rosa Sat 31-Dec-16 18:46:20

Venice ....

Sundayafternoonblues Sat 31-Dec-16 20:19:34

Rosa, we went on a day trip to Venice while on holiday in Croatia in the summer. Your suggestion is spot on as we loved Venice, but having been there recently we would like try somewhere else in April.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 01-Jan-17 01:09:40

Our highlights were Tivoli Gardens, a tour-guided boat trip around the harbour, and Christiansborg Slot.

MiniMaxi Sun 01-Jan-17 01:26:56

Some of my faves:

Dubrovnik is lovely - not sure about the weather in April
Granada / Seville
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Rome

Have fun!

TheOgPog Sun 01-Jan-17 01:45:21

Krakow - beautiful, lots to see and Auswitzch for a day trip.

Florence - beautiful, lots to see, Leaning Tower of Pisa/ Tuscany day trips.

SaltyMyDear Sun 01-Jan-17 01:57:25

Budapest?

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sun 01-Jan-17 14:50:15

Berlin, Berlin, Berlin. Not pretty but brilliant. If your dc are at all interested in history, then it's a must.

SwedishEdith Sun 01-Jan-17 15:06:18

Lisbon as well.

Oblomov16 Sun 01-Jan-17 15:14:13

Prague
Barcelona
Brussels

Been to all 3 in the last 3 years and have been totally fabulous.

ApplesinmyPocket Sun 01-Jan-17 15:23:13

Another vote for Lisbon, a really lovely little city, compact, great transport (trams, buses, metro) lots of history and charm, has a historic castle, great shops and good inexpensive food - on a river too. Weather in April should be pleasant.

We went twice last year and are going again in May, we liked it so much.

PhilODox Sun 01-Jan-17 15:27:53

Berlin (as you've already done Vienna!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now