Talk

Advanced search

Is it safe to let DSs fly?

(6 Posts)
Thomasina76 Wed 28-Dec-16 15:02:51

My ex is supposed to be taking DSs, 8 and 8, away for New Year. DS1 has a fear of flying after we had very bad turbulence on a flight earlier this year. They also both don't want to go away with their dad (they see him one day a week only and occasional holidays) but he is very keen to take them plus we are going to court next month as he wants to get a court order for fixed holidays/weekends etc. I am trying to reassure DSs that it's ok to go for 3 days and not to be scared of flying as it's very safe but I feel so bad making them go away when they don't want to, especially when DS1 has a fear of flying. I also have a bad fear of flying so really feel for him having to get on a plane tomorrow. My ex says the only way to get him over it is to do it which I sort of agree with but my instinct it not to let them go. It will cause massive issues with my ex if I now refuse to let them go at the last minute and very unhelpful in terms of the hearing next month but just want to do what is right/safe.

AgentProvocateur Wed 28-Dec-16 15:05:21

Yes, it's safe to let him fly.

specialsubject Wed 28-Dec-16 16:16:26

It is much safer to fly than to be in a car.

Sounds like that is the least of the issues. Do kids have to see a parent that they dont want to be with?

Thomasina76 Wed 28-Dec-16 16:21:26

Thanks both, that is reassuring. Special subject, good question. We are going to court next month and the kids will be there too so will get to give their views. They don't mind seeing him but for short periods and they don't want to stay over or go on holiday, despite my encouragement. They generally seem to have a good time when they do go but they just prefer being at what they consider to be their home and with me. They need to spend time with their dad though so trying to gently encourage them.

specialsubject Wed 28-Dec-16 16:56:07

ah - reassuring news!

I wish all of you the best. And remember with flying - crashes are news because they are statistically very rare. Car collisions sadly are not news.

but on balance - if you are in the UK you are in a pretty safe place.

Frazzled2207 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:04:45

Assuming you trust your xp to look after them when away, and come back again, I see no issue with this, and you should encourage.
Could it reflect badly on you in court if you didn't send them?

Several years ago I had a nasty turbulence experience on a plane and your xp is right, best thing to do is fly again and hope for a smooth journey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now