Talk

Advanced search

Heathrow Airport to USA

(11 Posts)
Millionsmom Mon 26-Dec-16 13:25:57

Hi everyone,
DS is getting married in the US this Spring. We've booked flights but are now worried we've not left enough time at Heathrow to make the flight to Dallas. At present we have 2 hours 15 mins to cross from terminal 5 to terminal 3. Is this enough time or are we cutting it fine and need to catch an earlier flight to Heathrow?

TIA

EagleIsland Mon 26-Dec-16 13:27:59

Depends on baggage, if you have to collect and recheck it then no, otherwise you will be ok

tribpot Mon 26-Dec-16 13:31:52

I had a long (5hr) layover in Heathrow this summer in both directions. It was a pain but it did mean I wasn't worried about missing the connecting flight because of a delay. It depends what knock-on effect a delay would have - if you really must be on that particularly flight to Dallas, I would book an earlier flight to Heathrow to give yourself more contingency.

VeryPunny Mon 26-Dec-16 13:39:16

Should be fine. You should be on a through ticket that connects at Heathrow, rather than two separate tickets. That way, if you misconnect, it's the airline's responsibility to sort it out. I take it you're flying BA if you are leaving from T5?

Rosa Mon 26-Dec-16 13:39:45

If you are booked on one ticket then its just you to transit then you should be ok . If you have to collect, transfer and recheck in then no . PLus if flight 1 is late you and you are one ticket then the airline wil reprotect you onto another flight . If its two tickets then you are on your own .... I would get an earlier flight if you can. Best to have extra time then to be counting minutes .

Millionsmom Mon 26-Dec-16 13:45:50

Thanks guys.
We're flying with BA from Ncl to Dallas with no need to collect the bags at Heathrow.

Blacksox Mon 26-Dec-16 13:48:54

I often get connecting flights on a through ticket. Ime, the airlines/booking agents don't let you book unless you can feasibly make it between the 2.

ChickenPoop Mon 26-Dec-16 14:01:12

Nah, that's plenty of time. It's the 60 minute and under connections that make me sweat. I had a very near miss at Heathrow on a 55 minute connection - they were checking someone's bag at the x-ray scanner and just completely stopped processing any other bags for 15 minutes. I had to run and everything!

mirmc Mon 26-Dec-16 17:20:51

You ll make it. Your bags might not though if there are any delays out of NCL. I fly in and out of LHR a lot and it's very rare not to have to hold for at least 15 minutes. Can you just take hand luggage? Or at least put the important things in your handbaggage, ie wedding outfit, etc.

MrsJW15 Tue 27-Dec-16 18:09:51

If you've booked the whole thing as one ticket, so same booking reference etc, you should be fine. It would be BAs responsibility to get you on another flight if there's a problem.

Chicken4dinner Sat 31-Dec-16 15:42:24

The connection time needed from T3 to T5 is one hour for domestic to international but BA's Dallas flight leaves from T5. Are you sure you're not on one of the AA flights?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now