Talk

Advanced search

Bed for toddler on holiday

(21 Posts)
Dancingelkhound Fri 09-Dec-16 20:32:57

Hi all,

We're staying in a premier inn on Sunday night with my 16 month old.

Last time we went away we took her travel cot and it was such a disaster we came home after one night. Basically she's too big for the travel cot now, she rolls around and hits the sides, waking herself up. At home she's still in a cotbed, i.e. an enclosed space!

I've seen lots of people suggest inflatable ready beds, but as we use a sleeping bag rather than blankets I don't think that would work for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than a bed guard? Premier inn don't supply bed guards and their furniture can't be moved to create a makeshift cot bed with a mattress on the floor.

MooPointCowsOpinion Fri 09-Dec-16 20:34:40

You've pretty much ruled out every worthwhile suggestion in your post I'm afraid.

Only thing left is to put her in the middle of the two of you, she'd love that! I expect you won't want to though.

Cakescakescakes Fri 09-Dec-16 20:34:46

My DS still had his gro bag when he went into a toddler bed as he hated a duvet and it worked totally fine. So I imagine a ready bed would be fine?

MiniCooperLover Fri 09-Dec-16 20:34:49

We used a blow up Mattress so it's quite low down to the ground, but wide enough (between a single and a double) with pillows on the ground next to it to soften any fall/roll. He still loves it and is now 5.

Lovelybangers Fri 09-Dec-16 20:34:50

Can she sleep in the bed with you? if you are taking Dp then a single bed for the other adult if not enough space..

Travel cots aren't huge are they?

MiniCooperLover Fri 09-Dec-16 20:35:23

Also used to surround him with his favourite soft toys so he didn't move that much.

Dancingelkhound Fri 09-Dec-16 21:54:38

Thanks for the replies.

The only ready beds I've seen come with quilts 'built in' so I don't think they can be used with sleeping bags.

DH can't share a bed with her as he sleeps too soundly so I'd have to share the double bed with her, but it can't be pushed against a wall and I'm terrified she'll fall out.

Might just have to be a mattress on the floor and hope she doesn't realise she can get out!

dementedpixie Fri 09-Dec-16 21:56:57

The cover on the ready bed is very thin and flimsy so she could just lie on top of it. Either that or get a bog standard blow up bed and use that

TeaBelle Fri 09-Dec-16 21:57:37

Most ready beds do have blankets but you take them off to wash them. Tbh the blankets with them are only thin enough for naps or summer so we take it off and use dd's regular duvet when we travel.

dementedpixie Fri 09-Dec-16 21:58:59

Something like this bed?

Dancingelkhound Fri 09-Dec-16 22:31:14

I didn't realise ready beds had such thin covers, thanks!

That inflatable thing looks like it could be perfect though.

HVB79 Sat 10-Dec-16 03:11:31

Have you looked at a travel bed guard? I think ours is by BabyDan

AsWeTumbleToTheGround Sat 10-Dec-16 04:20:18

We've got that air bed and it's great. DS is just two and sleeps in a cot bed at home and also in a sleeping bag.

feesh Sat 10-Dec-16 05:16:13

You need the thing that dementedpixie posted - we have the exact same one and it's brilliant. Will last for years of use.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Sat 10-Dec-16 05:51:59

We have the blow up bed dementedpixie linked to. It's fab I love it. It's fairly big ( my 4 yr old still has plenty of space) and comes with a pump. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Dancingelkhound Sat 10-Dec-16 14:26:32

Thanks everyone, we've just bought one of the inflatable beds! Fingers crossed she sleeps well in it tomorrow.

£24.99 in the range if anyone else is looking for one, cheaper than Amazon.

Buxtonstill Tue 13-Dec-16 23:14:32

Another idea is to take a couple of pool noodles with you, and slip them under the fitted sheets on either side of the bed to stop LO falling out.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Tue 13-Dec-16 23:43:19

We used to take a travel bed guard. But she almost certainly won't hurt herself if she falls out at her age. Mine both fell out and stayed asleep!

GinSolvesEverything Sun 18-Dec-16 09:56:27

you don't need pool noodles - roll up a towel lengthways and it does the same thing.

Reality16 Sun 18-Dec-16 10:01:08

I would have put mine in the single at that age, they are against the wall and you can use the duvet sideways to tuck in and prevent falling. A wee pile of towels and clothes for a back up on the floor

justabigdisco Sun 18-Dec-16 10:11:33

Readybeds are crap and deflate during the night. Just get a kids self inflating mattress from a camping shop

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now