Talk

Advanced search

Affordable small family hotels / guest houses in Newcastle anyone?

(17 Posts)
LilyChantilly Fri 02-Dec-16 23:24:31

Hi all, any recommendations for the above? For DS's 10th birthday in late January, we'd like to take him for a weekend stay in a hotel in Newcastle (upon-Tyne, not under-Lyme!) We hardly ever stay in hotels, except very rarely when paid for by parents, so very little experience of them. I have looked on TripAdvisor but it does my head in, way too much information! I've also checked some of the big well known places but they are a bit pricey or if not, just a bit too corporate... We'd rather eat out in town in the evening so looking for somewhere in Newcastle itself. Any advice would be much appreciated! fsmile

specialsubject Sat 03-Dec-16 12:53:13

Shouldn't be too much of an issue in January, but watch the stag and hen situation in central Newcastle.

An alternative that worked for me is quarrie house in cramlington. It will take you about 45 mins to get to the Tyne by bus/ metro but it is a great spot, good public transport and loads of eating out options in the village. Just a satisfied customer, no connection!

RayofFuckingSunshine Sat 03-Dec-16 12:55:07

What about staying in one of the guest houses out at the coast? Tynemouth is lovely and has the market on a weekend, plus you're only a metro ride from the city centre.

TyneTeas Sat 03-Dec-16 12:57:44

Whitley Bay has lots of Guest Houses and B&Bs. Right on the coast and straight into Newcastle on the Metro, about 25, mins.

NapQueen Sat 03-Dec-16 12:57:44

Jury's Inn on the Gateshead side would be a good spot - not on the main drinking strip of the quayside but minutes walk over the millennium eye to the city.

Alternatively look for an air B&B in Gateshead, especially the quayside. I know Ochre Yards is a posh apartment development with some air B&Bs in it. Walking distance over the high level bridge takes you straight to the Castle Keep and Cathedral area of the city.

NapQueen Sat 03-Dec-16 12:58:39

I live minutes walk from the Quayside and have two small kids and have never found the city to be bothersome at all in the evening even with stag and hens.

TyneTeas Sat 03-Dec-16 12:59:52

(Whitley Bay is quiet now, no longer full of stag and hen dos)

MrsLouisTomlinson Sat 03-Dec-16 13:04:45

Try jesmond, only a couple of stops on the metro into town.

specialsubject Sat 03-Dec-16 16:34:28

napqueen fair enough - I visited in the summer and all the tripadvisor reports said central accommodation was drunken hell on wheels, so I went by that. Glad to know it is not the case.

BTW what a wonderful city. If only it was a little further south. :-)

LilyChantilly Sat 03-Dec-16 23:45:28

Thanks so much for all the recommendations everyone - sorry, only just had a chance to look on here today! Will spend some time tomorrow checking them all out. As someone who doesn't stay in hotels (never done AirBnB either) is it better price-wise to book direct or do it through one of the many 3rd party websites? Thanks again flowers

NapQueen Sun 04-Dec-16 08:45:06

Price wise they are usually the same price on each hotels individual website as they are on eg Booking.com.

I'd always recommend booking direct though as if you need to make any changes you can delay with the hotel direct rather than having to go back to the booking agent.

LilyChantilly Sun 04-Dec-16 15:03:23

Thanks NapQueen, good advice.

BendyBusBuggy Sun 04-Dec-16 15:05:38

I would also look at premier inn- not much character, but good value, clean and comfy beds.

LilyChantilly Sun 04-Dec-16 18:09:03

Thanks Bendy , was hoping to find somewhere smaller with a bit of character but still affordable - maybe that's a bit unrealistic! Will check them out though.

LilyChantilly Sun 04-Dec-16 20:13:26

Actually, just a thought, but I'm been focusing on 'family' hotels. I know a few places won't allow children, and a few places might be unsuitable in terms of, well say lots of stag or hen groups. But on the whole, is there much difference? Worried that I'm narrowing my searches too much...

SamPotatoes Sun 04-Dec-16 20:21:58

I stayed here the night before my friends wedding and it was lovely:

www.kensingtonaparthotel.com/

autumnglow Mon 02-Jan-17 14:47:41

What about the premier inn on the quayside or try in Jesmond in outskirts. Try and stay Nr a metro unless you are city centre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now