Talk

Advanced search

Babymoon destinations Zika free

(26 Posts)
user1479992371 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:07:36

I'm looking for a winter sun holiday destination that's Zika-free and not too long in terms of flight time but we're struggling to find anywhere! We had our heart set on Dubai but we are an unmarried couple and in January (when we intend to go) I will be 6 months pregnant. Is it safe to go here or does anyone else have any suggestions for appropriate places to go where we can get a bit of sun?
Thank you!
J smile

user1479992371 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:08:54

We're based in Manchester UK so need a destination not more that about 10 hours flight time!

specialsubject Thu 24-Nov-16 15:44:24

Canaries. No total guarantee of sun but no tropical diseases either.

Cape Verde? Madeira?

mouldycheesefan Fri 25-Nov-16 10:24:45

Most of the Caribbean is under 10 hours flight time but I don't know about zika status.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 25-Nov-16 12:29:05

Cape Verde has reported mosquitoes carrying the Zika virus.

Centre for Disease Control has map of countries which has Zika virus (below).

www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/active-countries.html

Ollycat Mon 28-Nov-16 21:54:05

We were in Antigua in the summer. It was still Zika free but a number of islands (st Lucia and Barbados included) weren't.

Hersetta427 Tue 29-Nov-16 13:08:00

Hurghada in Egypt is lovely in the winter.

The Maldives also just sneaks into a 10 hr flight time.

user1478701777 Thu 01-Dec-16 12:16:33

Hi, this is my first ever post so please be gentle grin

We are in a similar situation, looking to go somewhere warm (in December) that doesn't require vaccinations and doesn't have risk of malaria, zika, or dengue. All of the places we had considered pre pregnancy are now out of the question and we are essentially left with the middle east and some parts of Africa.

Cape Verde, Maldives, Caribbean, all have risk of the zika virus.

We have just started looking into Oman, but are also considering Jordan and Israel.

mumofAlex123 Mon 12-Dec-16 15:14:29

Has anyone ever been to the Maldives pregnant? My midwife isn't too worried about Zika - the WHO advice doesn't suggest avoiding it because of Zika yet, though there have been one or two cases on the Island, it hasn't yet affected any holiday makers.
But she said I should consider the quality of the local hospitals - anybody got any ideas? About either Zika or the quality of the obstetrics depts in the Maldives.?

minipie Mon 12-Dec-16 15:45:10

I went to the Maldives pregnant - but unintentionally (got BFP whilst there so very early stages of pregnancy).

I wouldn't do it intentionally tbh. The resort islands are tiny specks a long way from each other with no medical facilities. There is only one city (Male), to get to it from your resort island would require a speedboat or seaplane journey, and I'm not sure the hospitals there would be top notch anyway. Sorry...

mumofAlex123 Mon 12-Dec-16 15:49:12

Thank you - that's really helpful advice.

savagehk Mon 12-Dec-16 15:56:11

South Africa? Flight time will be over 10 hours though because no direct flights from Manchester. (Usually overnight though with no jetlag).

canihaveacoffeeplease Mon 12-Dec-16 15:56:35

I think some of the more strict Emirates are a problem but as long as you are in a proper decent sized tourist hotel in dubai you shouldn't have any problems not being married. We visited several times before getting married and had no problems at all, infact it was more important to cover up respectfully in public places as a woman, so covered shoulders/legs to at least knees (which also stops attention being drawn to you!). Private hotel beaches etc are fine for swimsuits, but for eg dubai mall, I wore floaty skirt/linen trousers and long sleeved silky top, still cool too.

On another note, I'm just back from malta 34 weeks pregnant, 4 hour direct flight, lovely weather, absolutely loads to see and do and lovely people. Highly recommended for pregnant winter sun!

canihaveacoffeeplease Mon 12-Dec-16 15:57:58

Oh also I think Morocco is still Zika free, but haven't looked in to going since pregnant. If it is, great winter sun destination, and amazing place all round!

savagehk Mon 12-Dec-16 15:59:01

Not sure of malaria risk to pregnant women when travelling. Most of Africa (aside from most parts of South Africa) has malaria as an issue.

MinisWin Mon 12-Dec-16 16:05:38

We did Dubai at 8 months pregnant in July (so much hotter!!) and loved it. Agree in big resorts being unmarried definitely not a problem. If in doubt pop a ring on left hand! I would also emphasise importance of good quality obstetric care wherever you choose over all else - this and Zika were the main determinants in our choice of destination.

feesh Mon 12-Dec-16 16:17:03

I wouldn't go to Dubai (or any other Muslim country) if pregnant and unmarried. I live in the UAE and you would find yourself in a spot of serious bother if you needed to go to hospital for any reason. It won't be an issue in a resort, but at hospital you have to present a marriage certificate and ID for treatment when pregnant.

I would also cross the Maldives off your list for the same reason, and it also has Zika (we just cancelled a trip there when I found out I was pregnant - gutted!).

How about the Seychelles?

mrsmortis Tue 13-Dec-16 10:21:54

How about Bermuda? There's no Zika warning there yet. The hospitals are western (though as with any small community they may evacuate you if it's something really serious, normally to the US). And it's a much shorter flight than some of the places being discussed.

mumofAlex123 Tue 13-Dec-16 10:47:03

how about lanzarote - would anyone recommend that?

user1478701777 Tue 13-Dec-16 11:00:49

mumofAlex123, what are you looking for regarding holiday? Zika is endemic in the Maldives.

We have reluctantly conceded on the 'somewhere warm' requirement and have chosen Morocco.

feesh Tue 13-Dec-16 11:06:57

Will Morocco have a problem with you being unmarried if you (god forbid) need any medical treatment?

user1478701777 Tue 13-Dec-16 12:26:36

We are married wink

feesh Tue 13-Dec-16 13:30:06

Oh sorry I thought you were the OP!

minipie Tue 13-Dec-16 13:40:45

I think I'd go with the Canaries for pregnant winter sun. Tenerife south coast is warmest and driest. We went in November and had 26 degree sunshine - December will be a little colder but still miles better than the UK. Admittedly it's not exotic. But it's safe, sunny, clean, has good medical facilities and lots of people speak English which is important if you have a pregnancy issue and need things explaining. Plenty of luxurious hotels and if you hire a car you can do some exploring too. Also not too far from the UK and no jetlag. May even be covered by the EHIC (not sure).

specialsubject Tue 13-Dec-16 20:40:22

Ehic works as Canaries are Spain but of course full travel insurance needed too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now