Where to go in America with three children?

(29 Posts)
Riversiderunner Sun 20-Nov-16 00:06:25

Hello,

We have three children, all under 10. We'd like to take them to America for the first time this summer for 12 days, maybe 14 at a push.

They've never been before. We've seen quite a bit of it, but not NYC so we'd like any holiday to include a couple of days there at least.

Can anyone advise where to go? They're too little to appreciate much culture (though I think we'd all love NYC) but I think we might want a bit of beach/countryside, too.

Any suggestions of what to do/where to go would be great! We're thinking of flying in to NYC and... then what?

SUV road trip?
Couple of hotels in beach and countryside, with a train trip in between?
I think a decent beach has to feature at least for two or three days.

I'd be SO grateful for any suggestions - this will be our first big family holiday so I really want to get it right!

TIA! xxx

Missanneshirley Sun 20-Nov-16 19:27:01

Don't know your budget but I'd say an NYC - cape cod - Boston combo would be brilliant! All v child friendly

MakeItStopNeville Sun 20-Nov-16 19:31:03

Second the NYC, Cape Cod, Boston idea. Plus a couple of nights on Martha's Vineyard.

Riversiderunner Tue 22-Nov-16 20:40:54

Thank you both so much - am going to get googling! Really appreciate your advice xx

Missanneshirley Tue 22-Nov-16 23:04:05

We did more or less this trip 2 years ago and would fully recommend it. Both cities I found surprisingly child friendly. Am jealous!

WhittlingIhopMonkey Fri 25-Nov-16 20:27:31

I was/am considering an NYC/Miami/Key West trip with my kids.

Fly into NY then internal flight to Miami and car hire to key west.

Cape Cod is beautiful bit the weather can be hit and miss

Hersetta427 Tue 29-Nov-16 13:17:00

Florida road trip taking in Orlando, Tampa, Miami and the Keys.

Yawnyawnallday Tue 29-Nov-16 13:26:54

NYC. Also just up the river by train to Cold Springs just opposite Westpoint. Nice little town, Moo's ice cream parlour, waterfront area . Nothing big but a lovely day trip from NYC.
Cape Ann area in Mass (particularly Rockport) is lovely too.
Hershey Park in Pennsylvania is a big mad fun fair next to Hershey chocolate factory.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Tue 29-Nov-16 13:29:56

Washington with all the great museums and history?

PatriciaHolm Tue 29-Nov-16 14:23:29

How young? We did Washington & NY with ours when they were 8.5 and 10 and we had a fab time.

StarDebora Tue 29-Nov-16 14:31:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SittingDrinkingTea Tue 29-Nov-16 14:37:30

I really like Washington, the museums are fab and it's a very easy city to get around using the metro. You could combine NYC, Washington and an east coast seaside resort quite easily into a road trip. We managed NYC to Miami in fifteen days last summer, but the longest we stayed anywhere was three nights.

Pallisers Tue 29-Nov-16 14:41:33

Definitely the NYC, Cape Cod, Boston idea. I wouldn't bother with Martha's vineyard myself (don't see the attraction but people do love it) but would definitely bring them to Provincetown - you can get there by ferry from Boston and it is just brilliant.

Boston is full of history - underground railroad/black freedom trail, freedom trail, concord/lexington. Could really get a good sense of colonial/revolutionary war history in a fun way. Also good Children's museum, Museum of science, MFA, Isabella Stewart Gardner, Harvard museums (and campus), lovely walks by the river etc.

Feefeefs Tue 29-Nov-16 14:54:59

Ignore that visa comment OP the visas are not difficult to get at all, you need esta visas from the official website and nothing else (have reported comment as spam).

America is extremely child friendly and I'm sure you will have no problems! I went to NYC for the first time aged 10, 2 days there and then 10 Florida, it was amazing and still one of my favourite ever holidays when I think back. NYC was slightly overwhelming at first but just pace yourselves and don't try and pack too much in, just wandering around is awesome!!

PatriciaHolm Tue 29-Nov-16 15:29:37

I've reported the spammer. Do not use that link!

iwanttoridemybicycle Tue 29-Nov-16 22:58:29

We are doing NYC, Cape cod and Boston next summer. Thinking of adding 2 nights in Maine too. We have 3 DC, 13,12,8. Can't wait. Boston hotels are very expensive though!

Missanneshirley Tue 29-Nov-16 23:10:13

Mine were 7 and 3 when we did it - wouldn't have chosen to take them so young but circumstances meant we had a short term opportunity to go. Anyway, Boston and NY were hugely child friendly and they loved the Cape cod beaches. It was freezing tho!
I've been to Washington and would imagine it would be fab for older kids.

CautionHotSurface Wed 30-Nov-16 00:50:25

I recently came back from the Ghettos of Philadelphia. An eye opener.
Please don't take your kids there.

Pallisers Wed 30-Nov-16 01:08:10

*I recently came back from the Ghettos of Philadelphia. An eye opener.
Please don't take your kids there.*

Why would she? They are not on the usual tourist trail or even the non usual tourist trail. Just like many areas of UK aren't on the list of things american visitors must see - but I bet there are lots of areas in the UK that would be an eye opener for them if they went there.

notrocketscience Wed 30-Nov-16 01:19:11

We did the Wild West family with Explore this summer. It was the best ever holiday. Daughter number 1 loves Las Vegas (age 12), I loved Monument Valley and staying on an Navajo Reservation, daughter no 2 (age 11) loved Delicate Arch. We hiked, camped, rafted on the Colorado river, rode western horses, took a helicopter flight across the Grand Canyon. Unforgettable.

bummymummy77 Wed 30-Nov-16 01:23:53

Maine is amazing.

Catinthecorner Wed 30-Nov-16 01:39:22

New England.

snowman1 Wed 30-Nov-16 02:45:16

I just want to mention Washington and Virginia were pushing 40 this summer, I nearly expired. It is a wonderful city though, my 3 and 6 year olds coped fine and the museums are great. Just be prepared. I would consider
1) fly into NYC some city culture and then head on to Boston and Cape Cod. Boston Hotels are expensive, I believe Salem is quite a good base and easy access into the city if your budget won't stretch to downtown. Then on to Portland. Problem is you have to do quite a long drive back. Distances are huge!
2) Fly NYC, on to Boston and Cape cod. Then up through Vermont stopping in Burlington (ben and Gerrys) to Montreal. A great city for kids, lots of cycling. Consider an open jaw plane ticket too. Transat do some good deals. Quebec city is also worth a look.
3) NYC-Washington on the train. www.amtrak.com Then hire a car go to Chincoteague or Assateague Island. The whole Atlantic coast is lovely and some cool beach areas which are really unspoilt. Tourists don't really go there. Then back to NYC.
If you can avoid driving in NYC do so, it is just really difficult. With 3 kids you might also want to consider a minivan with a dvd player, I have one and we hit the east coast a few times a year. Enjoy!

bummymummy77 Wed 30-Nov-16 03:07:55

I wouldn't recommend Salem. The hotels are super expensive and pretty crappy compared to other local towns. You're paying for the witchy history in Salem.

bummymummy77 Wed 30-Nov-16 03:08:39

Portland is awesome though. (Portland Maine.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now