Talk

Advanced search

What's the cheapest way to get to New York and cheapest accommodation?

(4 Posts)
Momentumista Fri 11-Nov-16 10:40:07

I want to go and visit family in New England in January. They don't have enough space to put me up, I'd really like to stay in a low budget hotel chain - I want to be within striking distance of Newport, Rhode Island and would also like to visit New York.

Where would be the best place to stay with easiest public transport links? I've found Aer Lingus flights which add up to about £400 return (change in Dublin) - does that sound reasonable or could I get cheaper...? Have not travelled recently so totally out of the loop as to where to find the best deals.

Also, will the weather be really arctic?

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 11-Nov-16 11:54:05

It will be arctic like there in January, particularly in New England. Apart from the cold they get snow and several feet of it. On that basis I would postpone your visit, do you really have to go there in January at all?. It could be very hard to travel about because of weather conditions.

The only real advantage with Dublin is that there is the US government immigration and customs clearances. Otherwise you are still looking at two flights if you are departing from the UK and it will take longer overall. As you are flying to the East coast anyway it will probably be more beneficial to fly direct into Boston. I would look at Skyscanner or Kayak for flights.

Look at suite based hotel chains like Embassy Suites, Homewood suites for accommodation. Breakfast at those hotels as well is included in the room rate.

Momentumista Fri 11-Nov-16 12:39:39

Ok thanks for that, wasn't aware of the hotel suites chains.

Aren't they pretty good at dealing with snow as regards public transport though? I'd assumed it was just the UK that ground to a halt because we weren't used to dealing with vast quantities.

Yes I really do need to go in Jan I'm afraid.

hamble123 Sun 13-Nov-16 00:32:36

Grrrr - I typed a long reply and it has disappearedsad

Try www.icelandair.com

(they fly from LGW, LHR, Birmingham (BHX), Manchester (MAN) and Glasgow (GLA) to various US cities including Boston (BOS), New York JFK and New York Newark (EWR).

You could fly into Boston and out of New York - this is called an "open jaw" and you can make such a booking in the 'advanced search' options.

Travel options between Newport, RI and NYC can be found here:

www.rome2rio.com (cheapest is Megabus which also operates in parts of the USA).

Holiday Inn Express hotels also offer a free breakfast; not sure if they are in Newport but I've definitely seen them in NYC. Also try chains such as La Quinta Inns, Hampton Inns, Country Inns and Suites, Motel 6, Ramada hotels and Days Inn.

Also in NYC check out www.thepodhotel.com (great locations for budget single travelers)

Also there is a great website with tips for single women travelers on

www.journeywoman.com (look up "Where Do JourneyWomen Sleep in New York City?")

Hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now